Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What jobs / careers require or involve travel? (merged 2014+)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Lawyer. Not much travel for business-a few times a year-but it depends on where your clients are located.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: QFWP; HH Diamond
Entertainment professional here.

2015 has seen me in Spain, Portugal, USA, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, China, Russia, UK, France and Germany.

All within 19 days. Boom
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Cloudship
What about jobs where you are not necessarily traveling for work, but where you can telecommute on your job and essentially work from wherever? Anyone have one of those?
I have this - and wouldn't give up this lifestyle for anything. Work as a project manager, but very little work travel given my customers don't want to pay for me to be onsite given the cost of the consultant's travel (some customers make the consultant work from home too). I work from different homes in different locations and can set a flexible schedule - as long as things get done properly.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cirqueboy
Entertainment professional here.

2015 has seen me in Spain, Portugal, USA, Canada, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore, China, Russia, UK, France and Germany.

All within 19 days. Boom
Sounds perfectly miserable!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:43 am

Programs: *G
would be much quicker to summarize that many roles in almost all industry can involve a heavy travel component.

those who want to guarantee travel, go in consulting, sales, or be an FA.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Owning your own business lets you travel anywhere. There are courses all over the world, or, you can go anywhere to look at equipment or attend trade shows. All justified travel!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:56 pm

I have a friend who is a customer service trainer for an airline. She is never home. Leaves Sunday/Monday and back Thursday/Friday if possible. In between she may only be in one city for a day. Flies both domestically and internationally.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
When I was in TV news people used to say they envied my travel. "Oooh, look at all the places you've seen around the world!" I told them I saw the insides of a lot of airplane cabins, shuttle vans, and hotel workspaces. Gets old quickly.
The responses on this thread are always good for a chuckle. I recruit for a company that is headed by a very famous mouse. People love the idea of working for the mouse, but don't realize they actually have to work (or at least be qualified to work) once here.

It's a great company and I love being here, but there's more that goes on than just happiness.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: United Plat and falling
Originally Posted by greg0ire
The responses on this thread are always good for a chuckle. I recruit for a company that is headed by a very famous mouse. People love the idea of working for the mouse, but don't realize they actually have to work (or at least be qualified to work) once here.

It's a great company and I love being here, but there's more that goes on than just happiness.
Oh, I always wanted to work at Chuck E. Cheese!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Originally Posted by fischi
Oh, I always wanted to work at Chuck E. Cheese!
lol
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
IT Consultant here. 20 years in the IT industry.

I worked for one of the larger firms for a few years, now working for a much smaller firm where I am only consulting locally.

When I was working for the larger firm, I traveled pretty much every Sunday night, home every Thursday night, work from home on Fridays. Loved it, miss the travel.

The business travel never gets old for me. One of the things I would do is when I would be working something long-term on the opposite coast, ask to stay every other weekend. This way, I can spend a weekend or two on the company dime, not have to work, and play tourist. It was much cheaper than flying home every weekend too!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Frequent flyer careers

Hello there,

I have always been certain that I'd like a career that involves business travel. No doubt this this is partly because my father indoctrinated me with model aeroplanes and shiny frequent flier cards when I was young. Alas, it has come to that time when graduation edges closer and closer and I've got to start thinking seriously about making job applications and the like. So, I thought I'd like to posit the question to you, the frequent fliers. What careers do you lead, what industries do you recommend; indeed, any advice for the intrepid soon to be graduate?

Where can my shiny degree in History take me?

Many thanks in advance,

Ollie
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Academic (if you don't mind essentially every booking being for the back of the bus).
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by youngbaflyer
Hello there,

I have always been certain that I'd like a career that involves business travel. No doubt this this is partly because my father indoctrinated me with model aeroplanes and shiny frequent flier cards when I was young. Alas, it has come to that time when graduation edges closer and closer and I've got to start thinking seriously about making job applications and the like. So, I thought I'd like to posit the question to you, the frequent fliers. What careers do you lead, what industries do you recommend; indeed, any advice for the intrepid soon to be graduate?

Where can my shiny degree in History take me?

Many thanks in advance,

Ollie

Corporate functions of a large multinational organisation. But also make sure it is not too big, or they may have local people doing the job.

Plus, cabin/flight crew seems to be a guaranteed way of getting around....
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: BA
Just my two cents; consulting, pharma and tech can all see you travelling often depending on the role.

A warning though, regular frequent business travel is very different from travelling for leisure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.