"Knee defender" prevents reclining seatbacks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Knee defender" prevents reclining seatbacks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2003, 7:21 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Here is a good rule, although it is useless because people don't follow rules unless they want to or unless a member of the flight crew tells them to.

You do not have the right to lean on someone else. This includes parts of your body if you are overweight, your head and chin if you get drowsy, and also your seat back if you try to recline.

When you get on the airplane and expect you will have difficutly not leaning on someone else during this flight, you are supposed to resolve the issue with the flight crew, the gate agent (who assigns seats), and/or the complaint resolution offficer bevore departure.

After departure, if you try to lean on someone when you weren't before, you should expect to be returned to the position you occupied a moment before, not leaning on that person.

>>> quote: SIX FOOT SIX

I will gladly trade you my 5'8" for your 6'6" and you won't have any more problems in coach seating.

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 10-08-2003).]
Old Oct 8, 2003, 7:55 am
J-H

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA EXP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AllanJ:
When you get on the airplane and expect you will have difficutly not leaning on someone else during this flight, you are supposed to resolve the issue with the flight crew, the gate agent (who assigns seats), and/or the complaint resolution offficer bevore departure.
(edited 10-08-2003).]
</font>
I disagree. The person causing the inconvenience - ie. the one who is tall - is responsible for their own comfort. They should either:

1. Go First
2. Move to an exit row

Do you people think that its possible to sleep in a Y seat on a US TRANSCON or TRANS-PACIFIC flight WITHOUT any recline?

That's absolutely ridiculous.

Old Oct 8, 2003, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AllanJ:
I will gladly trade you my 5'8" for your 6'6" and you won't have any more problems in coach seating.</font>
I'm 5'6" and you couldn't pay me to trade bodies with someone who is 6' or taller. After all, here we have a three page thread on how miserable it is to be a tall person on an aircraft...
Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:00 am

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by J-H:
I disagree. The person causing the inconvenience - ie. the one who is tall - is responsible for their own comfort. They should either:

1. Go First
2. Move to an exit row

Do you people think that its possible to sleep in a Y seat on a US TRANSCON or TRANS-PACIFIC flight WITHOUT any recline?

</font>
Although I agree with you that the tall person is just as responsible for fiting into the seat as the overweight person, I don't recall anything in the TOC about your right to sleep.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

J-H were schmucks, we don't do everything we can to get EE seats. We don't even know they exist. In fact we request middle seats in normal rows every time.

As far as fault goes, it is the airlines, they have increasingly decreased pitch for 2 decades as the population has grown taller (and fatter, but that's another subject). The average person is now close to 2 inches taller than 25 years ago.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by birdstrike:
Methinks your complaint should not be with the recliners, but the airlines that ask that the recline function be installed. It -is- an option, you know.
</font>
100% correct. As I suggested, FAA rules should be changed to require a minimum seat pitch of 34" on all jets. Seat recline is less of an issue with MRTC and E+

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If you hate recliners, do you refrain from reclining? </font>
Yes. I never recline unless (1)the person in front of me reclines, which in turn (2) leaves me with insufficient room for personal comfort. The recliners cause a chain reaction, much like an automobile accident on the freeway.

Originally posted by J-H:

1. Go First
2. Move to an exit row

[/QUOTE]

Believe me, I would be happy to "Go First" if I could afford it. But I don't normally have $300-500 cash to throw away for the pleasure of upgrading my required business travel. As for exit rows, most of them are pre-assigned to people with status. Since my business (government) requires me to utilize many carriers, I am often not in a position to obtain an exit row seat. Moreover, I frequently change my return flights, in which case I am sometimes unable to obtain even an aisle seat.

As to the last question, I do not believe it is possible to sleep in coach regardless of the seat configuration. Nor is it recommended if you want to avoid deep vein thrombosis.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 5:35 pm

I had to fly in Y last this week (Zip by Air Canada) and I politely asked the person in front of me if he was going to recline after take off if he would mind just letting me know first as my laptop would be open.

He looked at me like I had 3, not even just 2, heads. He didn't recline but I felt like an idiot, but my screen still works
Old Oct 8, 2003, 6:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cattle:
He looked at me like I had 3, not even just 2, heads. He didn't recline but I felt like an idiot, but my screen still works </font>
If you don't mind my asking, why did you feel "like an idiot"? Another post in this thread relates an incident in which someone's computer was trapped between the seatback and the tray table for the entire trip. I've never even considered assaulting someone for reclining; never raised my voice even after my knees were banged. But I think I would have found "some way" to liberate my computer post haste in that situation.

The strongest words I think I've read here from the people behind a recliner involve a threat of a lawsuit. Recliners, OTOH, have been a bit more suggestive as to what they might do immediately. I am just trying to understand the dynamic at play here.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 8:34 pm

I think tall people are out of luck, unfortunately. The airlines are set up to accommodate 80+% of people in reasonable comfort. Three-year-olds, 5-feet-tall women, pre-teens, and lots of other people are quite comfortable in those seats. A tall person is probably going to have to pay more for his clothes, so it only makes sense he pays more for his airline fare if the standard product is unacceptable. The tall person might protest it's not his fault that he is tall, but neither is it the airlines' fault.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 8:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Knee Defender:
If you don't mind my asking, why did you feel "like an idiot"? </font>
It really was the look on the guys face. Really, my laptop was more important than what he thought of me. Human nature kicked in I guess
Old Oct 8, 2003, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WillTravel:
A tall person is probably going to have to pay more for his clothes, so it only makes sense he pays more for his airline fare if the standard product is unacceptable. </font>
There is some truth to that. I find that clothing off-the-rack doesn't fit me well, therefore I buy tailored shirts. In some sense I do feel put upon, but what is one to do?
Old Oct 9, 2003, 10:39 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Are the only people who use laptops on planes tall?

------------------
"Yippie-kay-yay, Mr. Falcon!" -- John McClane, Die Hard II As Seen on TV
Old Oct 9, 2003, 11:09 am

Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by J-H:

</font>
Been there, done that...

N674UW
Old Oct 9, 2003, 11:41 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
About that inflatable cushion you put in front of you so you can lean forward...

If the seat in front of you is reclined, you don't need the cushion, you just lean against that seat back.

The person causing the inconvenience - ie. the one who is tall - is responsible for their own comfort
</font>
You are right. If a tall person walks in, sits down, and is immediately poking his/her knees into the person in front, prior to takeoff, said tall person needs to stop doing so or resolve the situation before takeoff. If on the other hand the tall person is seated first and the person in front walks in and sits down and is immediately leaning on the person in back, that person in front needs to stop doing so or resolve the situation before takeoff. The flight attendant will not necessarily relocate only the person who walked in second.

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 10-09-2003).]
Old Oct 9, 2003, 12:28 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P

</font>
Yes. I do it routinely and have seen many others do it (with either 0 recline or just enough to unlock the seat).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.