"Knee defender" prevents reclining seatbacks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Knee defender" prevents reclining seatbacks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2003, 5:58 pm

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by goldmedallionflyer:
Great to know your dad was fine!

I am puzzled, though, at how a reclined seat, which could at most contact his knees, caused your dad to pass out. I's 6'3" and have returned home with bruised knees on more flights than I care to count - but I've never been even close to a blackout from seatback applied pressure to my knees. Self induced stress caused the blackout - maybe - but the reclined seat position directly at cause for his blackout ... highly unlikely.

GMF
</font>

SHe didn't say the recliner caused it. He just ddin't move as they were treating him etc.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yknot:
This is just another thing that will cause an in flight blow-up. Just what we all need. Everyone defending their "rights" in the middle of a cigar tube at 30,000 feet.</font>
You've just given me a great idea. I will purchase 1000 of these devices and hand them out at the gates. Then the fun will begin. Eventually airlines will get the message and provide adequate legroom in coach.

Now if we could only find a device that would provide adequate seatwidth to accommodate the ever growing (no pun intended) obese clientele.

Old Oct 2, 2003, 7:52 pm
csb

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by goldmedallionflyer:
Of course any advantage this gadget could have potentially provided you is negated when I discover you using one on my return trip from the head (bathroom), politely use my right to depress/ring the flight attendant call button, utilize my right to free speech and inform the FA that a passenger has installed a non-FAA approved device (that is potentially a safety hazard and/or destructive to airline property) onto the back of my seat, and then request that the FA have said device removed and confiscated immediately.

GMF
</font>
Good points! I like to think that I am very considerate when I choose to recline. I never recline my seat in coach if the passenger behind me has brought food on and is eating. I always check that they don't have a laptop on the tray, and I recline the seat slowly and rarely all the way back. As I solely fly AA domestically, I'm sure that MRTC has contributed to the lack of confrontations!

Also, kneedefender users might want to be careful if you have a drink on that "locked" tray. Thinking about the Newtonian mechanics of such a hypothetical abruptly halted recline, I think that it should result in a lapful of hot coffee.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 8:57 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Looking at its website I found out that this thing is made of plastic. Which means it could suddenly split and then the seat where it is mounted could fly back with tremendous force, possibly breaking the seat hinge too.

The person in the aisle seat is supposed to let the person in the middle (or window) seat get out on request. This includes the person in the aisle seat in the next row forward if his seat back extends taht far back. The person in the aisle seat can then request to swap seats to avoid being disturbed again.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Oct 2, 2003, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tods27:
I am amazed at the vehemence of the replys in this thread. While I do sympathize with people who are tall, I, as a rule, recline my seat fully as soon as allowed after takeoff. .</font>
Me too. I have ALWAYS fully expected everyone to use the full recline of their seats. If the person in front of me does not, that's a bonus. As for me, usually my seat is fully reclined when I'm sleeping.

Until reading this thread, never in a million years would I have guessed anyone would think reclining an airplane seat would be rude.

I guess there must be a lot of rude folks out there because on most longer flights it seems to me that over 75% of seats are fully reclined at some point.

Old Oct 3, 2003, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Great to know your dad was fine!

I am puzzled, though, at how a reclined seat, which could at most contact his knees, caused your dad to pass out. I's 6'3" and have returned home with bruised knees on more flights than I care to count - but I've never been even close to a blackout from seatback applied pressure to my knees. Self induced stress caused the blackout - maybe - but the reclined seat position directly at cause for his blackout ... highly unlikely.

GMF
</font>
He didn't pass out from bruised knees. He passed out from eating bad food. The idiot in front of him, seeing the commotion going on didn't have the courtesy to lift his seat, even a little bit. Can you imagine a doctor trying to take your blood pressure or check your heart in the space left after someone is fully reclined?

Mary
Old Oct 3, 2003, 8:26 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I'm 6' 3", and I've given up trying to keep people from reclining by sitting normally, where my knees are in the way.

I can't sit perfectly still like that for a long time, and one time this ***** in front of me just kept pushing and pushing and pushing! It was painful when she finally "broke through" and I yelled, "OW, God **** it!" Didn't phase her one bit. God **** foreigners!

I recognize that people have the "right" to recline. I also have the "right" to place my bare feet underneath their seat. It's a good thing the stench rises straight up. I can hardly stand it myself.

Four simple steps:

1) move carry-on back to the floor right in front of my seat
2) remove shoes
3) remove socks
4) place feet under the seat in front of me using socks as a cushion

It's a win-win situation -- I get to stretch out and relax my feet, and the person in front of me can recline.

I usually wear business casual on the plane, and for some reason, black socks make my feet smell (probably the material, not the color). White athletic socks don't, but that doesn't look right with black shoes and dark pants and a button-down shirt.

------------------
"Yippie-kay-yay, Mr. Falcon!" -- John McClane, Die Hard II As Seen on TV

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 10-03-2003).]
Old Oct 3, 2003, 11:26 am
csb

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fimo:
As the saying goes -- your rights end where mine begin.

Or some such.
</font>
Should you be in an aisle seat with your kneedefender fully armed and deployed, I'm curious as to your thoughts on the rights (and safety) of the passengers in the middle and window seat. As I am sure that this gadget also ends up locking the tray into the down position, and blocking the exit of middle/window passengers in the event of an emergency, I have no doubt that the airlines and FAA are going to take a very dim view of its use.

So the real question becomes whether this Ron Popille wanna-be recoups his start-up costs from you guys before the FAA puts his arse out of business.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 1:42 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:

Better to disable the seat in front of you (there is a certain type of seat that this is easy to do to, if you get to it before the person in front sits down).
</font>
Inquiring minds want to know: what's the secret to doing this?

Another "retaliation" tactic, though it's delayed gratification, is to aim your air vent at the recliner's neck. Rumor has it this can give a nasty stiff neck over a long enough time.

Count me among those who think that willy-nilly reclining is rude. As I believe in "do unto others," I will only recline a tiny bit to sleep (just enough to unlock the seat), a bit more on an ocean-crossing or overnight if the person behind me is sleeping, or fully if the seat behind me is empty. And I always look behind me before I recline.

My worst two rude E- recliners were these. A woman on an ORD-FRA 777 who fully reclined at takeoff and didn't budge until ordered to by the FAs at landing. She was not sleeping either. Rude, loud, reeked of smoke, her stringy smoke-smelling hair was flailing in my lap, and wasn't very nice to the FAs either.

The second was on a ORD-LAX where this admittedly tall (probably about 6' 1"), extremely skinny girl (about 18) sat down in front of me, fully reclined, and then pounded on the seat four or five times to push it back a little more. She ignored the FAs request to put the seat up on landing and didn't even unrecline when she left the seat. To get out of my own seat and get my bag, I had to reach forward on to her armrest and unrecline it after she left. That was the first and only time I've intentionally kneed someone in the back, hard, and believe it, I did it to her more than once.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I've got the solution!!

How about a reclining and a non-reclining section reserved on the plane?
Old Oct 3, 2003, 10:00 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by csb:
Should you be in an aisle seat with your kneedefender fully armed and deployed, I'm curious as to your thoughts on the rights (and safety) of the passengers in the middle and window seat.</font>
To be frank, I have no thoughts on this. I don't fly US domestic (thank heavens!) & when I do fly economy, I get bulkhead seats (and not to mention I'm a 5'3" female....) so it's not a concern I would ever have. I merely posted that quote because there were way too many people claiming their rights to reclining or airspace yaddayaddayadda - which I find to be all rather silly. There are no rights to be staked.

In any case, that you even asked me such a question makes me wonder if you got the point of my quote. It goes both ways -- the crux is that one individual's right doesn't trump another's, but community rights trumps all.

[This message has been edited by fimo (edited 10-03-2003).]
Old Oct 4, 2003, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
I had an unkindly recliner a few years ago on Northwest from CDG to DTW (the first and last time I flew NW overseas.. always took KLM after that). I had my laptop out after meal service to do some work and the gentleman in front of me slammed his seat back without even looking. When I asked him not to recline so far, I got an earful of the "I can recline if I want to" before I even had a chance to explain why I wanted him to inch up a bit. You can bet that every time I got up (and for some reason I needed to get up a lot more than usual) his seat back was pulled back. Oh, and even better, I also made sure that I got a bit of hair as well when I pushed.

That was my flight from hell. I was away from home on a one month business trip with three weeks in a Hungarian city where very very few people spoke English. Paris was my little treat and between this guy, no video in my portion of the cabin, and a seatmate that wanted me to wake them up about every hour just about drove me insane. I understood "air rage" at that point.
Old Oct 4, 2003, 2:23 pm

Programs: Star Alliance

Recliners belong in the cargo hold with the luggage and boxes. The temperature is more conducive to sleeping, no lights, and no smelly food or serving noises. Also, no announcements from the Captain that it's 72 degrees and raining, just when you nod out.

------------------
Have a nice day flying United!
ChgoBob
Old Oct 4, 2003, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Is the laptop user who shakes the tray table and seatback with persistent key pounding and moving of the PC any less rude than the person in front who has reclined?
Old Oct 4, 2003, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ChgoBob:
Recliners belong in the cargo hold with the luggage and boxes. The temperature is more conducive to sleeping, no lights, and no smelly food or serving noises. Also, no announcements from the Captain that it's 72 degrees and raining, just when you nod out.</font>
Methinks your complaint should not be with the recliners, but the airlines that ask that the recline function be installed. It -is- an option, you know.

So, here is a question: It seems like the people who are most rabid about the folks in front of them reclining are tall. It would also seem like those are the same people who would achieve some additional comfort by reclining themselves.

If you hate recliners, do you refrain from reclining?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.