"Knee defender" prevents reclining seatbacks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Knee defender" prevents reclining seatbacks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2003, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Personally I am relieved when the person in front doesn't recline although I can't exactly kick up a fuss about it. I just prefer to move to another seat, which in BA WT+ is pretty straightforward, often with the cabin half empty.

****** HOLD THE FRONT PAGE ******

Heres another way to stop you getting a seat in your face:

GET A BULKHEAD SEAT!!!!!
Old Oct 1, 2003, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Oceanbound222:

People have every right to recline their seat to any degree they wish. People do not have the right to block it because they are too fat or selfish.
</font>
Agreed. But I also have the right to keep my knees from being bruised by these inconsiderate people.

I'm tall and neither fat nor selfish - the person in front of me always gets a knee in the back when he relines.

MaRY

Old Oct 1, 2003, 10:54 am

Is there an option to secure it so they can only recline say, 1/2 way? A very reasonable compromise. Besides, how are they going to know you have a knee defender

Don't get me wrong, I HATE the recliners. We had a big discussion a while back on it here. I can understand a slight recline but the full recline really gets to you
Old Oct 1, 2003, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This product rocks!

I hope they also invent baby-cancelling headphones, anti-seat kicker devices and the upgrade-o-matic.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I was set to buy it - I would pay double to keep someone off my knees & allow me to get out of my seat. BUT, the tray table has to stay down. Oh well.

I may buy a couple anyway.

Mary
Old Oct 1, 2003, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally quoted by a number of folks on a number of occasions:
Buy a seat in First if you don't want the seat in front of you in your lap.</font>

Since I only fly United Airlines, I will note that in Domestic First, the seat recline is so great (even if not "great") that I have less room then if I was seated in Economy Plus. Three inches less pitch, but a lot less recline angle, as well.

As a laptop user, I book exclusively bulkhead (for some reason, people just don't like it before the day of flight). Even in First. If I am in Row 2 back in F on a UA plane, I know I will have to balance the laptop on my tummy in order to clear the screen (15"). I also have to do this in Economy, but not Economy Plus.

As for being allowed to recline, the airlines put recline in for a reason. The problem is not the recline (witness Economy Plus) - the problem is that most domestic airlines feel 31" of pitch is "acceptable".

If all Economy seats had a 34" pitch, I doubt we'd be having these debates/discussions.

[This message has been edited by SEA_Tigger (edited 10-02-2003).]
Old Oct 1, 2003, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't recline the seat if a passenger is sitting behind me. It's just plain inconsiderate. I'm 6'4" and I know what it feels like when someone does it to me. I've asked people to un-recline before: I don't use getting reclined upon as carte blanche to do it to the guy behind me. It's not right.

I wish the airlines would remove this "feature" from their coach seats.

I think the little gadget is cute, but I doubt I'd ever buy and carry one. (In fact, I thought the whole website was a joke, but I guess you can really buy one of the things.)
Old Oct 1, 2003, 4:36 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pinniped:
I wish the airlines would remove this "feature" from their coach seats.</font>
Agreed. I have asked folks to un-recline when they swing their seat straight back into my computer monitor.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 5:06 pm

Just last week, I was leaning forward as I was writing something with the tray table down. The couple in front of me reclines at full speed and I get hit in the head with the video monitor. The non-rev next to me got a good chuckle from it.

A friend at work told me that their computer got stuck between the tray table and the seat because someone reclined into it. When he asked the person to un-recline, the passenger got very irate and started yelling that it was their right to recline. My friend had to wait until right before landing to get his computer unstuck. Luckily there wasn't any damage to the computer.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 5:08 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
This is the coolest thing ever. I just ordered one.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by csb:
Also, the issue is the same as with overweight people that demand the right to spill into my seat. If you are so tall--or so narcissistic--that you demand that the passenger ahead give up his right to recline, there is a simple solution: buy a freakin' ticket in F.
</font>
Being tall and being overweight are two totally different situations. I'm 6'6" and I can't help it. If I'm fat, I can loose weight.

And yes, I do upgrade when I can or take the extra time to get exit row/bulkhead seats, or MRTC, etc.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 5:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SEA_Tigger:
If all Economy seats had a 34" pitch, I doubt we'd be having these debates/discussions.</font>
Thank you for flying with Air New Zealand. We hope you have a pleasant flight."
Old Oct 1, 2003, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Being 6'6" myself, the idea of having my tray table down the entire time doesn't sound too much better.

Better to disable the seat in front of you (there is a certain type of seat that this is easy to do to, if you get to it before the person in front sits down).
Old Oct 1, 2003, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UALOneKPlus:
This product still does not prevent the person seated in front of you from getting annoyed, and beating the @$#@$# out of you.</font>
Usually not a problem.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
Heres another way to stop you getting a seat in your face:

GET A BULKHEAD SEAT!!!!!
</font>
Then where do I put my legs? Through the bulkhead? The airlines don't like that...

Old Oct 1, 2003, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
Then where do I put my legs? Through the bulkhead? The airlines don't like that...

</font>
Where do you put them anyhow? On the headrest of the seat infront?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.