"Knee defender" prevents reclining seatbacks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Knee defender" prevents reclining seatbacks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2003, 7:54 am

Programs: Star Alliance
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by birdstrike:

If you hate recliners, do you refrain from reclining?
</font>
Absolutely! For the last several years I choose bulkhead seats, and still don't recline.

If I can't use the space in front of your face, why do you assume the space in front of my face is yours to use? A recliner gets 2x space, and the person behind 1/2. Not very equal to me unless I recline, and I don't wish to.

------------------
Have a nice day flying United!
ChgoBob
Old Oct 5, 2003, 10:22 am

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ChgoBob:
If I can't use the space in front of your face, why do you assume the space in front of my face is yours to use? A recliner gets 2x space, and the person behind 1/2. Not very equal to me unless I recline, and I don't wish to.
</font>
This is wrong. In fact, when the seat in front of you is not reclined, you have 200% 'face room' and when it IS reclined you have 'only' 100% 'face room'. If you also recline, you will again have 200%. Unless I'm missing something, most of the whining has been about leg room, not 'face room'.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by birdstrike:
If you hate recliners, do you refrain from reclining?</font>
Absolutely. I recline ever so slightly (less than an inch). Essentially, once the seat unlocks, that's enough.

I stopped relclining when the airlines made the pitch smaller so as not to make the person behind me miserable. Maybe I'm too considerate.

Mary

Old Oct 7, 2003, 8:15 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
New invention. A wedge shaped cushion that you put behind you if the seat doesn't recline. Then you body is in the reclined position.

They are too big to carrry on so the ariline would have to provide them. These could be stowed on the ceiling between the video monitors, and pulled down as needed. Another idea is to make them inflatable so passengers can buy their own and carry them on board.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 8:52 am
J-H

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA EXP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hfly:
at 6'6" it is NOT possible for someone to recline into me in most coach seats. They can only cause me damage/hurt. On the rare occasion that the person in front of me insists (and the rare occasion when I'm flying Y) and calls the F/A, I explain its impossible. The FA usually takes my side. If she does not, I threaten a lawsuit. This usually shuts everyone up.</font>
Then why don't you insist on an aisle seat at check in? In my view, this is the same argument as a fat person who takes up two seats in coach. They (the fat pax) should buy two seats. The bottom line is that if you buy one seat in Y - you are only entitled to the priveledges/rights for ONE seat.

Threatening a law suit? Grow up.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 8:57 am
J-H

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA EXP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fimo:
the crux is that one individual's right doesn't trump another's, but community rights trumps all.

[This message has been edited by fimo (edited 10-03-2003).]
</font>

Well said! And VERY Singapore - I wonder what SM Lee (my hero) would say about this.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 8:57 am

Well not a pillow to put behind you but imagine someone using the pillow in the link below and the person in front wanting to recline. Could be fun to watch.

http://www.skymall.com/webapp/skysto...catId=94666861
Old Oct 7, 2003, 12:40 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HigherFlyer:
This is wrong. In fact, when the seat in front of you is not reclined, you have 200% 'face room' and when it IS reclined you have 'only' 100% 'face room'. </font>
It is your opinion that it is wrong, not a fact. The fact is that when you get on a plane the seat is upright. When you land and exit, the seat is upright. If there were an emergency, the seats would be upright. Therefore one must conclude that the standard seat position is upright.
However, I will agree to disagree with you, sit in my bulkhead seat, and not recline on you. OK?

------------------
Have a nice day flying United!
ChgoBob

[This message has been edited by ChgoBob (edited 10-07-2003).]

[This message has been edited by ChgoBob (edited 10-07-2003).]
Old Oct 7, 2003, 2:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HigherFlyer:
This is wrong. In fact, when the seat in front of you is not reclined, you have 200% 'face room' and when it IS reclined you have 'only' 100% 'face room'. If you also recline, you will again have 200%. Unless I'm missing something, most of the whining has been about leg room, not 'face room'.</font>
So, that means if each person reclines or each person sits upright, each person has 200% "face room" - all w/in a 100% plane. Wow, that's some plane. Did Asimov write something about this once?
Old Oct 7, 2003, 4:05 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by J-H:
Then why don't you insist on an aisle seat at check in? In my view, this is the same argument as a fat person who takes up two seats in coach. They (the fat pax) should buy two seats.</font>
Becuase those of us that are 6'6"+ can not help it. If I was 400 pounds, I'd loose weight to fit into a seat, or if I was too lazy to loose weight, I'd probably buy a first class or two eco seats... I can't get any shorter!!!! There is nothing I can do about it, other than patronize higher pitched airlines, or hope and pray for an exit row seat.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

J-H, that is why I maintain top elite status on 3-4 airlines at a time. As state above tall people CANNOT do anything to change their size, fat people can (and if they can't they can get the staples thing done) besides some Gattaca like operation, it doesn't work that way.

As for the lawsuit thing, it IS very effective, because it is a very real point. Only a real short guy wouldn't get it. Then again, I must say that I have only really been in this situation once or twice in the last decade (knock on wood)
Old Oct 7, 2003, 7:45 pm
csb

Ahh, it all comes down to that age old question:

If a seat reclines in the woods, and no whining narcissist is there to b!tch, does a flight attendant hear it?

[This message has been edited by csb (edited 10-07-2003).]
Old Oct 7, 2003, 10:03 pm

Wow, all this hostility... Granted I am not EXTREMELY tall, I am 6 feet tall and if someone wants to recline on me, I believe they have the every right to do so EVEN IF I AM UNCOMFORTABLE. The seats were MADE TO RECLINE after all, so if you tell them NICELY that you are 7 feet tall or are using a laptop, I am sure more people would be understanding. But by reading some of the posts here, it seems like those anti-recliners are just as rude when they are condemning the recliners.

Ask me nicely and maybe I will comply. Ask me in a rude manner and there would be no chance.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 1:24 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by J-H:

Well said! And VERY Singapore - I wonder what SM Lee (my hero) would say about this.
</font>
I guess it is "very" Singapore, but believe it or not, the original quote & concept was something I learnt from the French!!
Old Oct 8, 2003, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See what some of you do not get is that with 30-32 inch pitch, it is IMPOSSIBLE for a person to recline into someone who is SIX FOOT SIX. There is a big different between 6 foot and 6' 2" and 6'6". If pitch is less than 34 inches it is not possible w/o causing the person damage/pain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.