Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Alaska's Jesus cards, are they finally gone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska's Jesus cards, are they finally gone?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2003, 10:41 pm
Original Poster

It is helpful because many people don't want them and should know in advance and have an option to opt out. It is helpful for travel managers at state and local agencies to know this so they can demand that public employees not be handed bible quotes by companies providing contracted services to government agencies.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 8:26 am

AS is not a government airline, therefore they can do what they want as far as promoting religious values with a ham sandwich is concerned.

I am also free to tell them that it rubs me the wrong way, and that I won't fly they airline until and unless they either yank the bible cards off the menu or provide me with their Buddhist, Zoroastrian, Hindu or whatever equivalent.

I bet you if enough people write, the cards will be gone soon. The bible won't stand in the way fo the bottom line.

Don't hold your breath, this nation is essentially christian so here's the end of that story.

I flew them once, saw the cards, wrote the letter, never flew them since. They don't miss me, and I don't miss them.

BoxSoFan45: the question of the 9/11 funds is EXCELLENT. If they have, there is an argument for asking them to remove the cards. I don't want my tax dollars promoting religious claptrap.

[This message has been edited by Droneklax (edited 09-04-2003).]
Old Sep 4, 2003, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
I've been on a few flights where, once the passenger took one bite of the meal, they yelled "Jesus Christ!".
Old Sep 4, 2003, 9:49 am

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by missydarlin:

Have you ever actually seen one of these cards? The airline isn't "trying to make you believe" anything. It's a simple verse from the old testament(so I'm confused as to why Dan Hammer as a Jew is offended as well) reminding us to give thanks for what we have...at least thats the one I usually get. No proselytizing, no forcing religion down anyones throat, and no mention of JESUS anywhere. If you are really that offended by a 2" x 3" piece of paper once you've SEEN it, then by all means contact consumer affairs. But please don't bother with the "non religous" meal request from the res staff. None of our meals ..save the kosher ones are religous.
</font>
Did you actually read my post? I said I am *NOT* offended. I did not say the airline was trying to *MAKE* me beleive anything. Since you obviously work for AS, I will point out for you that I said the cards are less offensive than beer commercials and McDonalds, as you obviously are too defensive to realize it on your own. Don't bother responding to posts unless you learn to read first. This is the kind of blindness that gives faith a bad name.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HigherFlyer:
This is the kind of blindness that gives faith a bad name.</font>
Bon Jovi told me that I give love a bad name.

For BoSoxFan and Droneklax, view the Press Release for th ALK Q2 Report. It doesn't mention 9/11 funds but it is subtitled, "Government Aid a Huge Help":
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">SEATTLE-- July 22, 2003--Aided by $71.4 million in government assistance ($44.3 million after tax), Alaska Air Group, Inc. today reported second quarter net income of $45.2 million...</font>
dunno if that helps any...
Old Sep 4, 2003, 1:07 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
OK, let me see if I can get this straight. The word "unconstitutional" hasn't appeared yet, but I get your drift.

Some of you people are claiming that Alaska's prayer cards are unconstitutional because Alaska Airlines carries around government employees and receives government subsidies.

I guess that means I should send back the $1200 check I just got from the U.S. Treasury to "subsidize" my Christian children for this year, who are being raised in my Christian home.

I suppose I should also quit my job, since I do have some contracts with government agencies, some of which are public schools!

I find it difficult to believe you people are serious about this. Does the Left hate religion so much that they don't want religion to be practiced anywhere, despite the fact that the First Amendment to our Constitution prohibits the federal government from restricting religion?

Wake up! The First Amendment prohibits Congress from establishing a religion so that people will have the freedom to practice any religion they want. If Congress were to establish a religion, you wouldn't be allowed to practice a different religion. That would not be freedom of religion, would it?

Saying that it's OK to practice religion as long as government is not involved in any way (like traveling government employees) is just absurd. These stupid arguments are leading us to towards freedom from religion.

Everyone and every business in the USA has some kind of connection to government. The First Amendment was written to strike down laws such as requiring you to attend church.

I am glad Alaska Airlines hands out prayer cards, and I'm sorry to read that anyone is offended by them. I would also be sorry if Alaska Airlines were to remove them due to complaints from their customers. But for crying out loud, leave the Constitution out of this! The poor document has been trashed enough as it is. Don't make it worse!

You can practice whatever religion you want or none at all, but don't you dare try to stifle someone else's speech.

------------------
"Where's my money?" -- Pizza the Hutt
Old Sep 4, 2003, 1:16 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HigherFlyer:
Don't bother responding to posts unless you learn to read first. This is the kind of blindness that gives faith a bad name. </font>
And how does your statement help you witness to others as a Christian?

[This message has been edited by cattle (edited 09-04-2003).]
Old Sep 4, 2003, 1:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by missydarlin:
Have you ever actually seen one of these cards? The airline isn't "trying to make you believe" anything. It's a simple verse from the old testament(so I'm confused as to why Dan Hammer as a Jew is offended as well) reminding us to give thanks for what we have...at least thats the one I usually get. No proselytizing, no forcing religion down anyones throat, and no mention of JESUS anywhere. If you are really that offended by a 2" x 3" piece of paper once you've SEEN it, then by all means contact consumer affairs. But please don't bother with the "non religous" meal request from the res staff. None of our meals ..save the kosher ones are religous.</font>
Thank you for putting this into the proper perspective. I can't believe so many people are offended by it, including a couple people who actually fly the airline a great deal.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I am flying AK in two weeks. I will call CS and request a 'non religious' meal. I'll post the results.</font>

Please do!

Old Sep 4, 2003, 3:52 pm
Suspended

On my flight yesterday, the breakfast tray was accompanied by a card with a brief Psalm and a recipe for salmon.

I'm offended Alaska promotes the killing and cooking of innocent fish! If I were a vegitarian, I'd be sure to never fly them again.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 4:46 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Did you actually read my post? I said I am *NOT* offended. I did not say the airline was trying to *MAKE* me beleive anything. Since you obviously work for AS, I will point out for you that I said the cards are less offensive than beer commercials and McDonalds, as you obviously are too defensive to realize it on your own. Don't bother responding to posts unless you learn to read first. This is the kind of blindness that gives faith a bad name. </font>
Perhaps you'd do well to pick up some reading glasses yourself. I said I didn"t understand why DAN was offended. According to your own quote you were insulted "the airline thinks I'll beleive in anything that comes with the catering". If the airline isn't trying to *make* you believe anything, then where's the insult? What is it that the airline *thinks* you'll believe that you find so insulting?

As for the blind faith nonsense, I don't subscribe to any particular religion, but I respect the ones that I'm aware of, and there are so many other things in the world to get upset about that I just can't fathom being bothered by a 2"x3" piece of paper that comes with my meal, be it judeo-christian, hindu, buddhist, the moonies, or whoever.

p.s. Chexy Bon Jovi is a dang liar...you could NEVER give love a bad name!

[This message has been edited by missydarlin (edited 09-04-2003).]
Old Sep 7, 2003, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SRQ Guy:
I fail to see how it's remotely possible to be even slightly offended by a piece of paper with a Bible verse on it. If you don't like it, don't read it, or don't fly AS. I'm sure they really miss the 7 people nationwide who are "offended" by it. I think some people CHOOSE to be easily offended by such insignificant events out of some feeling of righteousness or something. Cry me a river.</font>
Sadly enough...welcome to the Bleeding Heart, reducing levels of free speech in the name of "offending someone" country we have today.

My opinion- Don't like them, don't read them. I see lots of crap that I don't approve of on a daily basis and I just let it pass. It's a fact of life that a majority of people in this country belong to a christian-based belief system...if someone wants to drop a card on a tray, then so be it. It's not like you're forced to hear a sermon over the intercom.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 4:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Good Granny's Goose. What a hubbub over nothing.

I have been an MVP Gold for as long as I can remember and have never seen a card that wasn't a Psalm--way Pre-Jesus for those of you with no religious education. Who came up with the Jesus Card phrase. That is just way wrong.

We almost all struggle for the "truth" and for "God" and meaning at some point in our lives and what the heck difference does it make what we call him/her. The truth is that "God" is so far beyond our understanding that it is not possible for any of us to get God right. I have always thought that purgatory was really that moment in time when we finally look into the face of God and understand how wrong we had it during our time on earth.

So we call him/her this or that or something else--does it matter??? The only thing that I can imagine would matter is that we seek the truth with a pure heart.

I am a convert to the Roman Catholic faith and the most wonderful thing I can remember reading in my training books (catechism) was this:

"Never become proud of your religion, and always remember that there are those who serve the Lord, far better than you, who have never heard his name."

WOW!! This is so true.

I can guarantee you that if that plane starts going down, we will all be holding hands with our seat mate and praying to somebody or something that we make it out alive.

Old Sep 8, 2003, 8:52 am

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cattle:
[B] And how does your statement help you witness to others as a Christian?
B]</font>
I am witnessing right now. There is a HUGE difference between witnessing and advertising. What AS does is clearly advertising, not witnessing. In order for it to be witnessing, the airline would have to have a personal experience to testify. They don't. All they do is try to make Christians feel good about their airline by offering random bible quotes. Clearly this is advertising, not witnessing, as it has no personal element. I can testify right now that the Lord doesn't need AS to annoy people in His name. AS doesn't have landing clearance at Heaven's airport just because they quote psalms. Personally I am annoyed because their so called faith is so obviously insincere.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 9:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:
Good Granny's Goose. What a hubbub over nothing.
I can guarantee you that if that plane starts going down, we will all be holding hands with our seat mate and praying to somebody or something that we make it out alive.

</font>
Not true. I have been on a plane that was going down fast, and I was glad that I had already done my praying. I was able to think about what I might have to do to survive, instead of where I might go if I didn't. Prayer is far more effective if not left for the last minute. If you are righteous, God will already know. If you are busy with your own prayer, you will be distracted from doing the Lord's work of trying to save lives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.