Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Alaska's Jesus cards, are they finally gone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska's Jesus cards, are they finally gone?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2003, 5:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by the-ca-goat:
Not only will I not fly AS because of the Jesus Cards, I've decided to stop staying at any Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood, or Pan Pacific properties as I have seen Bibles in the nightstands!!!! Can you beleive it? Imagine someone trying to FORCE THEIR RELIGIOUS BELIEFS DOWN MY THROAT! The nerve.</font>
If you stayed at an American hotel and a Koran was in your nightstand would you have the same reaction? We live in a free country. That's why folks that own hotels can choose to put Bibles, Korans, Watch Towers, or whatever they want in *their* nightstands.

God Bless America. May she never be over-run with folks such as you who would like to control everybody and everything so as not to 'offend'!
Old Aug 23, 2003, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Julie the Newbie:
If you stayed at an American hotel and a Koran was in your nightstand would you have the same reaction? We live in a free country. That's why folks that own hotels can choose to put Bibles, Korans, Watch Towers, or whatever they want in *their* nightstands.

God Bless America. May she never be over-run with folks such as you who would like to control everybody and everything so as not to 'offend'!
</font>

Uh, Julie, if you're going to spend much time on FlyerTalk, I suggest you cultivate something called.... a sense of humor.

Kathy

Old Aug 23, 2003, 5:41 pm

Hey Kathy,

Laughing it off would be another option wouldn't it? Okay, I'll try... but in case you didn't notice I'm not usually one to hold back on opinions! I don't see a "biting my tongue smiley" on that legend anywhere!
Old Aug 23, 2003, 6:05 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Julie:

Personnally, I do not care what you believe. I care only that you do not attempt to make me believe in your beliefs.

Therefore, it would perhaps be best that you think about what you post before you decide to prostelize.

I was offended by your post, but not enuf to say anything, until you went after Kathy.

Your beliefs are not travel related.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 6:53 pm

Sorry opushomes and anyone else I might have offended. It was not my intention for my post to Kathy to have a sarcastic tone or to stir things up... Rather, it was meant to have a playful tone to lighten things up. Thus the problem with online forums when tone and facial expressions cannot be interpreted. Kathy helped me out on another topic and I appreciated it. I didn't take offense to her post to me at all and meant for mine to be friendly. The 'biting my tongue smiley' joke was not directed at her, just the topic. When I said laughing it off would be another option I meant it. Did you take it wrong Kathy? So sorry if you did.

[This message has been edited by Julie the Newbie (edited 08-23-2003).]
Old Aug 23, 2003, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by opus17:
More often than not, when flying, I am offended by the food that comes with the meal. I can always use the card to pick my teeth.</font>
Or you can pray that you don't get the "mystery pasta" that's been going around
Old Aug 23, 2003, 9:56 pm

Programs: Exxon Mobil Supertanker, WN Double Peanut, Accor Golden Cockroach
A-ha! An OMNI-worthy flame war!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zurbec:
I am dropping AS as my preferred airline and would like to make sure I don't pick a churchy replacement. Sounds like maybe AC is safe, how about UA? DL? AA?</font>
Well, AA doesn't serve much of what you would call food, so you should be safe there.

So much intolerance here! I didn't see julie preaching or "shoving her religion" on anybody. All she said was:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Wow, I'm surprised and pleased that they actually do this. Go AS! They really do take their chances and stand out from the rest. I am a Christian so I think it's wonderful.</font>
Or is this enough for some to start going off?

Like anything else, if you don't like it, don't read it (or find another carrier).
Old Aug 24, 2003, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, JL Sapphire
I too wish they'd stop this 100% wasteful practice and spend the money on something useful that will acually benefit someone ... like donating to a charity. If I want to read Psalms I'll bring a bible. However, I'm more likely to be carrying Thus Spoke Zarathustra!
Old Aug 24, 2003, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I see both sides here.

Perhaps if AS just left a Jesus card apart from the meal it would be more digestable (pun intended).

If I was non-Christian, and got a meal with a Jesus card with it, I would be offended because it would seem to imply that Jesus (or Christianity) was providing my meal, not my paid fare.

I mean, what if you went to McDonald's and they serviced your meal with a leaflet of Hindu scriptures?

IMHO capitalism and religion seldom mix well, especially when serving a diverse customer base.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 3:01 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
Remember, AS flies intra-Alaska (the former Wien Air Alaska) type routes. Fly to Nome or Barrow in the winter and you will gain an appreciation for the Jesus cards.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 5:03 pm

A business owner has the right to post or display anything they choose. You as a travelling consumer have the right not to use that service. I have been in many business establishments that have Buddhist shrines, New Age cyrstals, Kwanzaa scenes, etc. Many Applebees have crucifixes posted over the door (have you ever noticed?).

As a traveller I can either ignore it, be offended by it, or choose to learn from the people who express their faith or traditions openly. I opt for expanding my knowledge of those who share the world around me.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I agree. But a business owner should also be sensitive to the beliefs of his/her customers, if that owner wants the business to prosper.

In many religions the taking of food is very sacred, including Christian traditions. This should be clear to global commercial enterprises.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BeautifulFeet:
A business owner has the right to post or display anything they choose. You as a travelling consumer have the right not to use that service. I have been in many business establishments that have Buddhist shrines, New Age cyrstals, Kwanzaa scenes, etc. Many Applebees have crucifixes posted over the door (have you ever noticed?).

As a traveller I can either ignore it, be offended by it, or choose to learn from the people who express their faith or traditions openly. I opt for expanding my knowledge of those who share the world around me.
</font>
Old Aug 24, 2003, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I would just like to point out that it is wrong to call these things "Jesus cards," as the Bible verses/fragments involved are invariably chosen from the Old Testament. Jesus never enters into it. The verses come from Psalms, Proverbs, and Song of Songs mostly. They are generally meditative, feel-good words that might make anyone feel better. This is not an AS plot to promote a particular dogma. They're just trying to be nice.

Some people are not only easily offended, they fail to focus on what they think offends them.

[This message has been edited by BearX220 (edited 08-24-2003).]
Old Aug 24, 2003, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UALOneKPlus:
I agree. But a business owner should also be sensitive to the beliefs of his/her customers, if that owner wants the business to prosper.

</font>
A few points - (1) I don't think the "cards" are appropriate, nor have since I started flying AS in 1986. (2) I still fly AS. (3) A business owner can do whatever he wants (within the bounds of the law) and lets the chips fall based upon the decision. A few random examples: (a) A local car wash once had the name of someone running for political office completely covering the name of the business. I thought it odd because you would think you'd want people to see "car wash" as they are zooming down the street. Given who the name was on the sign, I have never been to that car wash. (b) A lot of people bring their dogs to work (including friends/colleagues of time) - and having witnessed the reactions of some of their potential clients, they may never be back. Others find the dogs delightful. (c) I keep my pet snake in my office, for over 12 years. I know it may offend some, and they may never come back. Others like the concept. Personally, I always thought a good attorney should have a snake in the office. When the other side gets unruly, I simply take her out to eat [Clients love that one]. I take the risk of knowing I may lose business, and/or gain business by having her here. But its my decision and my risk. If I thought it was substantially and negatively affecting my business, maybe she'd move.

Old Aug 24, 2003, 8:26 pm
csb

Oh, you mean they're Jesus Christ cards--****.

I thought they were passing out old 60's/70's Jesus Alou baseball cards. That would be really cool!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.