Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Alaska's Jesus cards, are they finally gone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska's Jesus cards, are they finally gone?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:24 am

Although I fly Alaska fairly frequently, I can't recall the "Jesus" cards...musta missed them.

But in December 2000, I did fly Royal Jordanian from Amman (Queen Alia International Airport...now that's some irony) as Ramadan was in progress. Being a visitor to their country, and wanting to comply with their sensibilities, I and my wife had not had anything to eat or drink for about ten hours.

As soon as we left the gate, we were "travelers" (tho' the sun was setting), and the FAs brought out cups of water for all passengers. As we flew to Cairo, the on-screen video continually showed the proper orientation to Mecca, should any passenger feel it necessary to know.

As a Christian, was I offended? Hell, no, it's a bit of foreign culture, and I appreciate that. So should I get upset over "Jesus Cards?"

Hell, no. If it's a culture that's foreign to you, just appreciate it for what it is. If it doesn't fit with your world view, so be it.

I just look for the cheapest fares...passive proselytizing is worth it, if it saves me money. Get over it.

Old Aug 28, 2003, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by birdstrike:
Ah, but it only became the national anthem in 1931. Before that, Key's composition was but one of many patriotic songs. I'm sure we all know others by heart.
</font>
You mean like "God Bless America" or "God of Our Fathers" or "God Speed the Right" or the Battle Hymn of the Republic (which calls on God's aid and refers to Jesus' birth in the Holy Land)? And then there's America the Beautiful, which calls on God for guidance and correction....
So, if you believe that "In God We Trust" should be removed from coins, should we also replace the national anthem since it also refers to trusting God? And, if so, what would we change it to? Yankee Doodle? We couldn't use "My country tis of thee" since it uses the same music as God Save the Queen/King (and, anyways, that anthem refers to God as our King, so it would be out for that reason too).
Old Aug 28, 2003, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by amanuensis:
You mean like "God Bless America" or "God of Our Fathers" or "God Speed the Right" or the Battle Hymn of the Republic (which calls on God's aid and refers to Jesus' birth in the Holy Land)? And then there's America the Beautiful, which calls on God for guidance and correction.... So, if you believe that "In God We Trust" should be removed from coins, should we also replace the national anthem since it also refers to trusting God? And, if so, what would we change it to? Yankee Doodle? We couldn't use "My country tis of thee" since it uses the same music as God Save the Queen/King (and, anyways, that anthem refers to God as our King, so it would be out for that reason too).</font>
How about The Stars and Stripes Forever? I believe the Bush administration would support that

but perhaps this is now better suited to OMNI...
Old Aug 29, 2003, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Was just browsing the board, but thought I'd register to respond to this topic since my butt is in an AS seat at least once a week.

It is a misnomer to refer to the cards as Jesus Cards, religious propoganda, etc.

The material that appears on them is a fairly generic verse that seldom refers to God. In all the meals I've had on AS, I've never seen a verse refer to Jesus Christ, salvation or another explicitely Christian message.

Anyone sensative enough to be offended by such a generic message should be content to fly WN and only eat peanuts.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 2:43 pm

Welcome to FT sxf24

Thanks for the description from a well informed flyer.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by amanuensis:
You mean like "God Bless America" or "God of Our Fathers" or "God Speed the Right" or the Battle Hymn of the Republic (which calls on God's aid and refers to Jesus' birth in the Holy Land)? And then there's America the Beautiful, which calls on God for guidance and correction....
</font>
My favorite is "With God on Our Side".

Old Aug 29, 2003, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Just to cut to the core of the issue...as a Jew, this makes me uncomfortable.

Dan
Old Aug 30, 2003, 5:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer53:Just to cut to the core of the issue...as a Jew, this makes me uncomfortable.</font>
As a Jew, quotes from Genesis and Psalms make you uncomfortable? You have me quite curious on this. Please do explain ...

GMF

Old Aug 30, 2003, 6:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer53:
Just to cut to the core of the issue...as a Jew, this makes me uncomfortable.

Dan</font>

Old Aug 30, 2003, 7:49 pm

I too am curious. As eyewitnesses have told us, the cards do not mention Jesus or Christianity at all. Why would quotations from the Hebrew scriptures make anyone uncomfortable?
Old Aug 31, 2003, 2:17 am

Programs: Whatever will get me out of Y and into C or F!
Flew AS from LAX to SFO on 28 Aug. While there was no meal, the Prayer Card from the previous Mexico-to-LAX leg was in my seat pocket. I got Psalm 9:2 this time. I already have that one.

I am glad they are the same size as sport trading cards, so they fit in those vinyl page thingys.

Is there a checklist of all the AS Prayer Cards? I just wanna know if I have a complete set!

Old Aug 31, 2003, 2:29 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by the-ca-goat:
Not only will I not fly AS because of the Jesus Cards, I've decided to stop staying at any Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood, or Pan Pacific properties as I have seen Bibles in the nightstands!!!! Can you beleive it? Imagine someone trying to FORCE THEIR RELIGIOUS BELIEFS DOWN MY THROAT! The nerve.</font>

And at Hilton, you get Conrad's literary masterpiece "Be My Guest"! (Actually it's not a bad book.)
Old Aug 31, 2003, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HeHateY:

And at Hilton, you get Conrad's literary masterpiece "Be My Guest"! (Actually it's not a bad book.)
</font>

We're starting to recycle info here. This was already commented on, and "Be My Guest" was already mentioned. As was the Book of Mormon (Marriott), and even in some hotels, the Koran.

Kathy
Old Aug 31, 2003, 2:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by VPescado:
You might also be interested in IN N' OUT Burgers (in California). They put bible quotes (well actually citations and not the quotes themselves) in the various burger, fry, and drink packaging.

What is really weird is that they tend to hide them, often under a part of the wrapper that has another piece glued over it, so you need to peel back the paper to see the cite (or wait until the grease soaks through).

Kinda weird, but they make great hamburgers.
</font>
Having not found the words "That's what a Hamburger's all about" in any of the Bibles I have, I was a bit skeptical.

But after visiting the LAX In-N-Out today after flying home, I can see that you are correct. "John 3:16" inside the base of the cup and "Revelations 3:20" on the back corner of the burger wrapper.

Of course In-N-Out do not use property-tax-free facilities financed by tax-free public-interest-market bonds to operate subsidized EAS routes to Adak and Glacier Bay!
Old Aug 31, 2003, 3:00 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KathyWdrf:

We're starting to recycle info here. This was already commented on, and "Be My Guest" was already mentioned. As was the Book of Mormon (Marriott), and even in some hotels, the Koran.

Kathy
</font>

Yup. I missed that, sorry.

Along with all the aforementioned, most-if-not-all Hard Rock Cafes have a picture of Saith Sai Baba (sp?) in the center of their interiors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.