Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Alaska's Jesus cards, are they finally gone?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska's Jesus cards, are they finally gone?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2003, 12:19 am

Programs: UA, AA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by opus17:
More often than not, when flying, I am offended by the food that comes with the meal. I can always use the card to pick my teeth.</font>
ROFLMAO!!!

------------------
Da DOK
Old Sep 1, 2003, 12:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BearX220:
The verses come from Psalms, Proverbs, and Song of Songs mostly. They are generally meditative, feel-good words that might make anyone feel better. This is not an AS plot to promote a particular dogma. They're just trying to be nice.
</font>
(edited by DaDOK)

Puh-leeze, BearX220 -- don't try to pull the old 'it's not promoting Judeo-Christian religion, it's feel-good words' canard. It's like 'holiday songs' and 'holiday parties' in December. If cards quote the Old Testament, then it IS Judeo-Christian. Case closed. I assume that if AS wanted non-sectarian 'feel-good words' it would have quoted "Everything I Know I Learned in Kindergarten." At least call it what it is.

Having said that, the card do not faze me one way or another. I am not 'deeply offended' by a piece of paper I can choose to read or not. Prostelytizing by the crew -- different story.

I think people confuse the fact that the Constitution prohibits &lt;government&gt; from espousing religion. Not private enterprise. If AS wants to tout its faith, it has the right to do so and, as previous posters said, let business chips fall where they may.

I wish people would learn that if they want to go through life not being exposed to religious, moral, etc viewpoints that differ from their own, then they should stay at home, with the curtains drawn and the TV and radio off. We are pluralistic society and some time, some where, some one is going to say or write or broadcast something you disagree with. Get used to it. IT's called life.
(stepping down from soapbox)

------------------
Da DOK
Old Sep 1, 2003, 12:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> without adding fuel to the fire, I do wonder what market AS is after with the east coast expansion, adding South Beach, P-Town, Manhattan, to SF, LA, and Palm Springs.... sounds like a circuit party to me! [/B]</font>
Naughty!! Naughty!!

------------------
Da DOK
Old Sep 1, 2003, 12:54 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BeautifulFeet:
Thank you! This was one of the benefits of 20 years in the Army. I was taught to be open to the culture I was in, how to respond politely, and learn. That never meant I had to agree. It meant I had to first listen with respect.

That's the attitude I've tried to have on all my travels.
</font>
Wow!!
Listen.
With Respect.
What a concept! So totally foreign these days. Unfortunately, current culture is reflected in the proliferation in radio and TV of talk shows, but not one 'listen' show.
And respect for others? R I P

------------------
Da DOK

[This message has been edited by DaDOKin DC (edited 09-01-2003).]
Old Sep 1, 2003, 1:05 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Eastbay1K:

As the anti-semetic remark came out of the potential client's mouth, I said "sir, I am THIS CLOSE to telling you to pick up that box of **** and getting the hell out of my office." The wife looked on horrified. (The way they tried to get around saying "but you don't look jewish" was comically-sad.)
</font>
(edited by daDOK)

Interesting, EastBay1K -- your name doesn't look Jewish either. Or did you change it?

------------------
Da DOK
Old Sep 1, 2003, 1:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DaDOKin DC:
Wow!!
Listen.
With Respect.
What a concept! So totally foreign these days. Unfortunately, current culture is reflected in the proliferation in radio and TV of talk shows, but not one 'listen' show.
And respect for others? R I P

</font>
(sorry double post)

[This message has been edited by DaDOKin DC (edited 09-01-2003).]
Old Sep 1, 2003, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DaDOKin DC:

Interesting, EastBay1K -- your name doesn't look Jewish either. Or did you change it?

</font>
Yes, it was once Yussel Eastbayonekayovitch. But the immigration authorities couldn't spell it right.

Old Sep 2, 2003, 10:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Did AS get any 9/11 money from the Feds?

Just curious.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 12:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by birdstrike:

I do like the national anthem, but I am seriously offended by the way it is rendered at many of our sporting events.

Edited to add: 119 years later.

[This message has been edited by birdstrike (edited 08-27-2003).]
</font>
Birdstrike, I agree with you, it really gets my "goat" so to speak when people do not sing the National Anthem the way it was written. It is certainly an insult to the composer. Francis Scott Key probably turns over in his grave every time is is not sung the way it should be.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cattle:
...I am trying to say make the Jesus card a Visa application every time and ask yourself if you would feel like you were being forced to apply for a card and increased credit.</font>
If they were handing out applications for Jesus Visa cards, I would not be any more likely to believe in him, but I would certainly get a good kick out of the attempt!

Old Sep 3, 2003, 3:23 pm
csb

Now if they want to hand me cards quoting John Turturro's "The Jesus" character from The Big Lebowski, I'm all for it.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 7:11 pm

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
Hmm... Where do I start?
A captive audience gets a 'free' meal with accompaying reigious diatribe... Is it a rescue mission for homeless alcoholics? I feel uncomfortable when religious cults invite me to dinner.
No offence, but knowing that the airline thinks I'll beleive in anything that comes with the catering is insulting.
On the other hand, we put up with beer commercials on TV, Nike logos on our clothes, and McDonalds in our schools, so why not flying fanaticism? Even if I was 'deeply offended' instead of annoyed/amused, the right to free speech is still the Amerikan way (no thanks to the current administration).
I am flying AK in two weeks. I will call CS and request a 'non religious' meal. I'll post the results.
FYI... I am a Christian. I am also apalled by much of what is said and done by so called evangelists, and I distrust anyone who uses their christianity as a political or commercial tool.

[This message has been edited by HigherFlyer (edited 09-03-2003).]
Old Sep 3, 2003, 8:21 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HigherFlyer:
Hmm... Where do I start?
A captive audience gets a 'free' meal with accompaying reigious diatribe...

No offence, but knowing that the airline thinks I'll beleive in anything that comes with the catering is insulting.
</font>

Have you ever actually seen one of these cards? The airline isn't "trying to make you believe" anything. It's a simple verse from the old testament(so I'm confused as to why Dan Hammer as a Jew is offended as well) reminding us to give thanks for what we have...at least thats the one I usually get. No proselytizing, no forcing religion down anyones throat, and no mention of JESUS anywhere. If you are really that offended by a 2" x 3" piece of paper once you've SEEN it, then by all means contact consumer affairs. But please don't bother with the "non religous" meal request from the res staff. None of our meals ..save the kosher ones are religous.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

I have been given the cards many times, and I find them offensive. I think it is entirely reasonable to be offended by the presentation of religious content regardless of the actual content.

I for one would like to see AS post on the AS website a complete description of the content and extent of the program in which messages with religious content are presented to passengers in-flight. This would be informative for the general public as well as the travel managers for various state and local agencies.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 10:22 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zurbec:
I for one would like to see AS post on the AS website a complete description of the content and extent of the program in which messages with religious content are presented to passengers in-flight. This would be informative for the general public as well as the travel managers for various state and local agencies.</font>
complete description?

"We put verse cards on our meal trays"

How is that helpful?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.