Reload this Page >

Application of DOT Rules to OTAs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Application of DOT Rules to OTAs

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2020, 8:39 pm

thanks, I know I am legally due the full amount. The problem here is that my CC transaction has the name of the airline on it so it's charged directly to the airline. I called the airline and they are saying it's impossible for them to refund me since it's a 3rd party booking. I'm not sure if I can dispute the transaction if the refund I receive isn't for the full amount as that dispute will be for the charge by the airline and the airline would've already refunded the full amount to the OTA... so it gets complicated here. A DOT complaint may be the best route.
Old May 2, 2020, 10:50 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by k374
No, not if the customer did not receive anything of value.
Except that you did receive something of value. You asked the OTA to book a ticket and they did just that. If you ask them to process a refund, they'll probably do that, too.

If you paid a separate fee to the OTA, then you should not expect it to be refunded.

If you did not pay a separate fee, which is common because airlines pay commissions, then it was actually the airline paying the OTA to issue the ticket. The OTA's lost revenue should be taken up with the airline and not the traveler.
Old May 2, 2020, 11:02 pm

No, not if the customer did not receive anything of value. If you bought something online, they took your money and a week later told you it is out of stock do you expect to pay the company for using their website? Of course not, that is ridiculous
Wow!

They provided the service you asked for, ie to book you a ticket and deal with any follow up matters if required. Of course they should be paid for this. If you wanted the airline's Ts & Cs you should have booked direct, but for whatever reason you chose not to.
Old May 8, 2020, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Wow!

They provided the service you asked for, ie to book you a ticket and deal with any follow up matters if required. Of course they should be paid for this. If you wanted the airline's Ts & Cs you should have booked direct, but for whatever reason you chose not to.
Except that the service is to provide a valid booking so the service wasn't delivered as agreed. The validity of the service is determined in whether the booking delivered by the agent can be consumed on the date of service. It's a pretty simple concept that you fail to understand apparently.

​​​​
Old May 8, 2020, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you have purchased a ticket which originates or terminates in the US and a flight is cancelled, you are entitled to a refund. If you request one and it it is not initiated within 7 days, then you should dispute the charge with your credit card issuer (bank). Supply a copy of your e-ticket receipt, the cancellation notice, your request for a refund, and any denial of a refund (or a note from you that you have not heard back).

Don't try to come up with inapplicable analogies, don't try to parse through the law of agency, and don't worry about how the card issuer, the carrier, and the TA sort it out.

In future, do not book through TA's other than bricks & mortar operations where you have a direct personal relationship with staff and they have a reason to properly serve you. Those TA's likely charge fees and only you can determine whether the level of service makes the fee worth it.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 8:10 pm

Except that the service is to provide a valid booking so the service wasn't delivered as agreed. The validity of the service is determined in whether the booking delivered by the agent can be consumed on the date of service. It's a pretty simple concept that you fail to understand apparently.
​​​​
I fully understand what your saying, but disagree profoundly that the TA has not carried out a service for you, and deserves paid for it. They are now providing more resource to chase your refund and that also costs money, unless you do it yourself by purchasing direct. Only you know your reason for using a TA, but is sounds like pounds, dollars, euros or whatever might have been part of it, and rather than admit your choice has got you to where you are, you're striking out at the TA as if they were in control of any cancellation.

Your choice of words ". . .the validity of the service is determined in whether the booking delivered by the agent can be consumed on the date of service" helps your case if it was true, but it's not. Making the booking as per your instruction was a line item as it were and was completed to both of yours' satisfaction. Dealing with subsequent issues is another line item, not usually required, and the two can not be combined just to suit your case.

I don't know where you've made the purchase so don't know the legal situation, but morally the Travel Agent deserves payment. None of us work for free so there is no doubt about that.

For openness, I have never worked in the travel business so have no personal axe to grind in this matter.
Old May 11, 2020, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by ft101
I fully understand what your saying, but disagree profoundly that the TA has not carried out a service for you,
No, your understanding is incorrect. I don't really care about the airline, my dealings are not with the airline, the service I bought through the agent, the agent has not delivered the service. As another poster correctly mentioned above, a breakdown in the agent's supply chain isn't any of my concern. If the agent is unable to deliver the service due to a fault from their provider it is between the agent and the provider and not my problem.
MSPeconomist and mmff like this.
Old May 11, 2020, 10:11 pm

No, your understanding is incorrect.
I would of course say the opposite, that it's your understanding or interpretation that is 100% wrong, but we're going nowhere so we'll have to agree that our opinions or viewpoints (as that's all they are) differ as to whether the TA has carried out chargeable work for you or not. For me he has, and I wouldn't dream of screwing him for his time and effort when he is, IMO, totally blameless.
Old May 12, 2020, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Of course the OTA deserves to be paid for the service.

However, the OTA should contact the airline to pay them for their service - not the customer.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 12:10 pm
Suspended

It is all irrelevant. As one is due a refund and it has not been paid out, a chargeback is in order and the carrier(s) and OTA can sort it out. Whichever merchant vendor, carrier or OTA, was paid the funds when you purchased, will see the debit and then sort it. You, as the customer do not and should not become involved in the intricacies of the transaction.
MSPeconomist and mmff like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:26 pm

just a note here, DOT issued a second enforcement notice

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...%202020%29.pdf

a few points

good luck arguing what a "proper" refund means
3. What rights do passengers have if they purchased their airline ticket from an online travel
agency?
Ticket agents are required to make “proper” refunds when service cannot be performed as contracted on
a flight to, within, or from the United States.6

The Department interprets the requirement for ticket agents to provide “proper” refunds to include providing refunds in any instance when the following
conditions are met: (i) an airline cancels or significantly changes a flight, (ii) an airline acknowledges
that a consumer is entitled to a refund, and (iii) passenger funds are possessed by a ticket agent. In
enforcing the requirement for ticket agents to make “proper” refunds, the Aviation Enforcement Office
will focus on the totality of the circumstances.
and no 7-day-refund-rule for OTAs
6. How quickly must airlines and ticket agents process refunds?
Airlines and ticket agents are required to make refunds promptly. For airlines, prompt is defined as
being within 7 business days if a passenger paid by credit card, and within 20 days if a passenger paid
by cash or check.9
For ticket agents, prompt is not defined.10

The Aviation Enforcement Office
recognizes that, given the significant volume of refund requests resulting from the COVID-19 public
health emergency, processing refunds may take longer than normal and will determine the timeliness of
refund processing for ticket agents based on the totality of the circumstances, such as the volume of
incoming refund requests and steps taken to address the increased volume. Also, the Aviation
Enforcement Office will use its enforcement discretion and not take action against airlines for not
processing refunds within the required timeframes if, under the totality of the circumstances, they are
making good faith efforts to provide refunds in a timely manner.
Old May 13, 2020, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by paperwastage
just a note here, DOT issued a second enforcement notice

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...%202020%29.pdf

a few points

good luck arguing what a "proper" refund means

and no 7-day-refund-rule for OTAs
The sole purpose of a DOT complaint is to file one in conjunction with a chargeback and to thus speed one's refund. If DOT happened to bring an enforcement action against a carrier at some point, that won't affect your particular ticket.

The value of the DOT complaint, as most who use it have found, is that it is forwarded to the carrier with the requirement that the carrier respond to the passenger with a copy to DOT. That generates the refund.
Old May 13, 2020, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The sole purpose of a DOT complaint is to file one in conjunction with a chargeback and to thus speed one's refund. If DOT happened to bring an enforcement action against a carrier at some point, that won't affect your particular ticket.

The value of the DOT complaint, as most who use it have found, is that it is forwarded to the carrier with the requirement that the carrier respond to the passenger with a copy to DOT. That generates the refund.
i thought the current thread was discussing whether it's valid for an OTA to take a service charge out of a refund

the OTA was willing to provide refund minus service fees, if @k374 agrees.
not sure when k374 agreed (and if its delayed, then sure, file chargeback/DOT enforcement action)

i'm pointing out that the DOT enforcement notice clearly highlights that OTAs are not subject to 7-day-credit-card-refunds rule

also, DOT did not say "FULL" refund. they say "proper" refund. if they wanted to say full refund, they should have said it. is it proper to take out service fees? you can argue that on the DOT complaint
Old May 14, 2020, 10:20 pm

I have a situation where the OTA is charging a service fee and the airline is refunding the full amount. I believe the OTA is NOT entitled to the fee. The OTA is charging me a 15% fee.

However, I am in the process of just not dealing with the whole thing if I get 85% of the ticket back. Although I vehemently disagree with this it just may not be worth my time to pursue it. In addition, I have been traveling for 25+ years and have taken hundreds of flights with many many different OTAs, never had a single issue until now... and now is a once in a generation problem of historic proportions so I guess, whatever! Best to move on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.