Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you handle grumpy Flight Attendants ?

How do you handle grumpy Flight Attendants ?

Old Feb 8, 18, 1:37 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,514
Originally Posted by MasterGeek View Post

I like that! I'll try it next time I have a grumpy FA in my flight, but without the "cutie" so that she doesn't take it like I'm hitting on her.
Please don't. This will not have the effect you're thinking. It comes off very patronizing and probably sexist in current American culture. I'm fairly sure the emoji was sarcastic.

Absolutely no one in a grumpy mood wants to be told to smile, much less by a customer who simply wants pseudo-cheerful service.
freecia is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 2:03 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Posts: 673
Originally Posted by freecia View Post
Please don't. This will not have the effect you're thinking. It comes off very patronizing and probably sexist in current American culture. I'm fairly sure the emoji was sarcastic.

Absolutely no one in a grumpy mood wants to be told to smile, much less by a customer who simply wants pseudo-cheerful service.
As the person who posted the suggestion to tell the grumpy person to smile, I can assure you that the emoji definitely was sarcastic, for exactly the reasons outlined here.
Giggleswick is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 2:38 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: PDX
Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold.
Posts: 1,484
I try to be extra polite, friendly and nice. You catch more flies with honey....
timfountain is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 3:29 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LAS
Programs: WN A-List
Posts: 250
Being extra polite, friendly and nice can backfire and make the grumpy flight attendant even more grumpy. Sometimes with honey you can get stung by a bee. Just act normally and try to minimize contact and chatting with the flight attendant. It also makes no sense to complain in-flight since the crew has all the power. If it really gets that bad, wait until after the flight to make your concern known on a survey or an online customer service form.
G702TT is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 7:16 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: PDX
Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold.
Posts: 1,484
Indeed, BTW polite, friendly and nice is SOP. And if they get even more grumpy, so what? Unless there is some egregiously bad service, it isn't going to make any difference to the here-and-now interaction. But I would not escalate the grumping match, nor highlight any issues with service until after the flight, you just never know how that can escalate into something bad with the rogue attendant.
timfountain is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 9:45 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: LAS
Programs: WN A-List
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Indeed, BTW polite, friendly and nice is SOP. And if they get even more grumpy, so what? Unless there is some egregiously bad service, it isn't going to make any difference to the here-and-now interaction. But I would not escalate the grumping match, nor highlight any issues with service until after the flight, you just never know how that can escalate into something bad with the rogue attendant.
I agree that being polite, friendly and nice is SOP initially. What I don’t agree with is that a passenger has the obligation to be “extra” polite, friendly and nice just because they begin to notice a flight attendant is grumpy. It can come across as the passenger being sarcastic or trying too hard to kill em with kindness which won’t work all the time. Better to just be one’s normal self and not try too hard thinking your going to save the day for the flight attendant with extra effort. IMO it is important not to make anyone more grumpy. I find the best way that works for me is to minimize interaction and keep requests simple and directed to other flight attendants (if at all possible).
G702TT is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 11:07 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NUQ
Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Posts: 3,820
Originally Posted by Proudelitist View Post
Depends on the level of grumpy. I kind of get it. The public sucks, and the job isn't easy. I can forgive them alot.
I do not forgive. When I tell people this they always assume I've never worked a public-facing job, because if I had, I'd "understand what it's like."

Well, I have indeed worked a public facing job. 7pm to 3am for a year. Bonus: thanks to the time of my shift, many of my customers were intoxicated. Now I have even less forgiveness for public-facing employees because my takeaway was that if you do your job correctly like I did - with tact, patience, and respect for each customer even if they were disrespectful - then even the most demanding and unreasonable customers can be tamed.

The public doesn't suck. If you're a service provider who thinks this, then you either have an extremely unfortunate clientele, or you in fact are not competent in providing service.

---

Also, please do not say the Flight Attendant job "isn't easy."

Raising a kid isn't easy.
Open-heart surgery isn't easy.
Writing a screenplay isn't easy.
Graduating from Ranger School isn't easy.
Building deep neural networks for self-driving cars isn't easy.

The job of a flight attendant is easy. And yes I know what I am talking about because I have personally attended new hire FA training at a major US airline.

I've never personally worked as an FA, that's true, but given the vast majority of FAs are not grumpy, I have no tolerance for those who are. I'll still say please and thank you with my drink orders, but I'm not going to bend over backwards to try to sympathize with how "the public sucks" or "the job isn't easy," because I have bent over sufficiently backwards to conclude the public does not suck and the job is in fact easy.
davie355 is offline  
Old Feb 9, 18, 10:36 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 84
Originally Posted by WorldLux View Post
All of those sound like horrible ways to handle such a situation. Maybe assume that the F/A has a bad day. Everybody has those and it is difficult to keep smiling when you have a sh** day. Even F/A have days where everything goes wrong (from minor stuff to major things such as breakups, death of a relative, serious health problem of a child, etc.). If you really feel talking about it, then try having a productive (as in friendly, understanding, supportive, etc.) talk rather than complaining or being grumpy to the FA.

FWIW I apply my #1 maxim when it comes to interacting with staff (as a customer or a co-worker/superior): Treat them as you expect to be treated.
If you are at work you are expected to do the job you are being paid for, no excuses

Confronting somebody is not a horrible thing to do, i am confronting you now and saying i disagree with your opinions

Why should we allow somebody to treat us badly, i did nothing and i expect to be treated with respect
AceM is offline  
Old Feb 9, 18, 11:18 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Posts: 1,816
Originally Posted by Giggleswick View Post
As the person who posted the suggestion to tell the grumpy person to smile, I can assure you that the emoji definitely was sarcastic, for exactly the reasons outlined here.
Apparently it's sexist to tell someone to smile.
kb9522 is offline  
Old Feb 10, 18, 12:12 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: YYC
Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
Posts: 880
Well, this thread has me miffed, because I always greet them when boarding with a big smile and a "Good morning, nice to see you (or) nice to see you again (which happens on occasion) !!"

Non-existent problem solved.
KDS777 is offline  
Old Feb 10, 18, 3:24 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,484
Dont fly longhaul USA based airlines.
Only fly Asian airlines.
HawaiiO is offline  
Old Feb 10, 18, 10:02 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Posts: 6,976
What is this "Flight Attendant" you speak of ? Are you referring to the Credit Card Saleswoman ?
iflymsy likes this.
cynicAAl is offline  
Old Feb 11, 18, 9:23 pm
  #43  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 16,675
Originally Posted by Proudelitist View Post
And I would NEVER chastise one. That's just sanctimonious and arrogant.
Likely it is.

Nonetheless, on occasion, I've done it. Notably when they've treated another passenger badly. I'm not proud of having done so, but I have to be honest.
MaxBuck is offline  
Old Feb 12, 18, 1:49 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: DXB
Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Posts: 1,041
Originally Posted by MasterGeek View Post
How do you handle grumpy Flight Attendants in your cabin ?

  • Confront or comment directly to the grumpy FA about their grumpy attitude
  • Make a passive-agressive comment to the grumpy FA as a way to point out their grumpyness
  • Smile and be extra pleasant to the grumpy FA in the hope they become aware of their grumpy attitude and change it
  • Be grumpy, unsmiling and unacknowledging back to the grumpy FA
  • Comment about the grumpy FA to other FAs
  • Comment about the grumpy FA to seatmates who are not your travel companions
  • During the flight, request and fill a complaint-form (is there a more specific name for this form ?), and hand it back to crew
  • After the flight complain to the airline's about the grumpy FA, with or without expectation of a compensation
  • Put on your headphones, avoid interacting or making eye contact with the grumpy FA
  • Do you handle the grumpy FA in another way ?

Does the presence of a grumpy FA considerably ruin your enjoyment of the flight or trip ?
Hello, Please and Thank You, usually go a long way when faced with FA grumpiness. If not, just move along and don't change your attitude.
extramileage is offline  
Old Feb 18, 18, 5:32 am
  #45  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 6
Most of us have a terrible day. I've already done customer services and I usually tried out to be my professional best whatever was heading on beside me at that time.
charmyposh is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread