Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you handle grumpy Flight Attendants ?

How do you handle grumpy Flight Attendants ?

Old Feb 5, 18, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
I try not to fly longhaul on US airlines. Give me CX, JAL, KE or SQ any day. The service level is miles apart.
amen.
Old Feb 6, 18, 2:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
Longhaul US airline flights are the least likely to have grumpy FAs due to the seniority level required to work those flights.
The least likely...apart from any airline which is not a US airline (OK, and Aeroflot).
Old Feb 6, 18, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
Longhaul US airline flights are the least likely to have grumpy FAs due to the seniority level required to work those flights.
‘Fraid not, pardner.

It’s exactly those senior ‘Mamas that sometimes seem less friendly, and where service is at a bare minimum.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 6, 18, 4:47 am

Mostly just ignore the grumpiness as long as the service is still there. But I guess if the attitude is making me really uncomfortable then the just straight out ask them if everything is ok as they seem grumpy. In my experience, this either gets them (and most other grumpy people) talking or they'll say 'no problem' and make an effort to seem normal at least then.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 18, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Avoid all contact.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 6, 18, 6:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
As long as they provide the expected service commensurate to the class I'm flying without being rude I could not care less whether the FA is grumpy or not. Brightening up his/her day or whining about it afterwards isn't on my to do list. I'm not interested in their problems.
Old Feb 6, 18, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Giggleswick View Post
Just say "C'mon, give us a smile, sweetie. You look so much cuter when you do." People love that.
I like that! I'll try it next time I have a grumpy FA in my flight, but without the "cutie" so that she doesn't take it like I'm hitting on her.
Old Feb 6, 18, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek View Post
How do you handle grumpy Flight Attendants in your cabin ?

Does the presence of a grumpy FA considerably ruin your enjoyment of the flight or trip ?
No, I'm an adult.
cawhite, 84fiero, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 6, 18, 7:26 am

• Confront or comment directly to the grumpy FA about their grumpy attitude
  • Make a passive-agressive comment to the grumpy FA as a way to point out their grumpyness
  • Smile and be extra pleasant to the grumpy FA in the hope they become aware of their grumpy attitude and change it
  • Be grumpy, unsmiling and unacknowledging back to the grumpy FA
  • Comment about the grumpy FA to other FAs
  • Comment about the grumpy FA to seatmates who are not your travel companions
  • During the flight, request and fill a complaint-form (is there a more specific name for this form ?), and hand it back to crew
  • After the flight complain to the airline's about the grumpy FA, with or without expectation of a compensation
  • Put on your headphones, avoid interacting or making eye contact with the grumpy FA
It might depend on the airline. On, for example, United, I'd be afraid seven of the above nine responses might get me arrested. If I were on an Asian airline, although the problem is less likely to occur, I'd be less afraid of spending the rest of the flight in handcuffs with some of the other responses.
Old Feb 6, 18, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP
I completely ignore the attitude and behave normally.
Old Feb 6, 18, 9:24 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold

• Make a passive-agressive comment to the grumpy FA as a way to point out their grumpyness
  • Smile and be extra pleasant to the grumpy FA in the hope they become aware of their grumpy attitude and change it
  • During the flight, request and fill a complaint-form (is there a more specific name for this form ?), and hand it back to crew
  • After the flight complain to the airline's about the grumpy FA, with or without expectation of a compensation
  • Put on your headphones, avoid interacting or making eye contact with the grumpy FA
  • Do you handle the grumpy FA in another way ?

Does the presence of a grumpy FA considerably ruin your enjoyment of the flight or trip ?
every body has bad hair days. How often do you greet the flight attendant with a genuine smile and warm and friendly hello and before the flight is over you go to the galley and thanks them for a job well done?

the cabin crew has a very taxing job and deserve a compliment.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 6, 18, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by swingaling View Post
I completely ignore the attitude and behave normally.
Mostly agree. I recently had an 8 hour flight, in a row 3 sleeper seat, with plenty of service interaction times. Nary a single smile on the entire flight. For every the FAs presented me (a hot towel, a beverage, a food course), the crew member received a "gracias." No eye contact, no "de nada, no hay de que, you're welcome" ever. Where I ceased behaving normally was near the flight's end later in the second service, where I no longer thanked anyone, and didn't when leaving the plane.

I do not believe it appropriate, at least for myself, to cause in incident that "interferes with the crew," which these days, could mean a simple complaint, that lands you meeting the authorities, ending up on a no fly list, or similar.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 6, 18, 9:53 am

I've dealt with my fair share of rude FA but since I only need to see them for less than a few minutes for food and drinks, I don't really comment or say anything.
Old Feb 6, 18, 11:14 am

When I picked my mom up from the airport recently, she told me on her flight up the FA seemed to single her out specifically. She said she had absolutely no idea what she did, assumes maybe her resting face must've looked mean and the FA went and was rude and passive aggressive to her the entire flight. She was in first and said she doesn't expect any sort of special treatment, but couldn't understand why he made her feel like such a bad person when he treated everyone else with a smile.

Hearing it upset me because she's one of the nicest people ever and doesn't ever cause a fuss.

But regardless of how bad someone's day is, it is their JOB. They are providing a service, and if they decide to be rude or give attitude, then they can't expect to not receive the same in return. I'm a super passive aggressive person, so had I been with my mom on that flight, I would have ended up calling the FA out.
Old Feb 7, 18, 3:41 pm
Suspended

• Do you handle the grumpy FA in another way ?

Depends on the level of grumpy. I kind of get it. The public sucks, and the job isn't easy. I can forgive them alot.

And I would NEVER chastise one. That's just sanctimonious and arrogant.

However, in the event that one REALLY crosses a professional line, I would absolutely report it. Either to a station sup at the destination, or to the airline directly..although they tend to ignore that stuff due to volume from Ma and Pa Kettle who think their tea was too cold.

Normally, I just make sure I don't add to their crappy day. I may even be friendly and give a smile and acknowledgement. Please and thank you.

There have been some incidents that crossed the line with me over the years. Mostly not from grumpiness, but from shenanigans like allowing an NRSA to try and poach my seat, or treating me poorly because she knew the NRSA I booted from my seat and she made sure to be as curt as possible and screw up my food and drink orders. I also had a bizarre incident about 15 years ago where the FA would proselytize about jesus to every pax who would listen. Good news this, he loves you that each time she served a pax..I am sure I was not the only one who complained about that. She was far from grumpy though. I wish she had been.
strickerj and nancypants like this.

Search this Thread