Is Priority Pass worth the money?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Priority Pass website: https://www.prioritypass.com/#

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via Chase credit cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...erve-ritz.html

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via American Express Credit Cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-benefit.html

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via CitiBank Credit Cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...=priority+pass

Entry denied thread (housed in the Citi forum): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...unge-full.html

Entry denied thread, Alaska Board Room lounges. (housed in the Alaska Airlines forum) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...l#post28524751
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR

Note: I didn't know where to post this, so if I put this in the wrong forum a mod can feel more than free to move it or merge it with an existing thread -if there is one. Also, I'm extremely tired here, so I apologize if this comes off kind of weird.

Okay, with that out there. I was recently considering getting a Citi Prestige card, mostly for PP Select (especially considering I'll frequently be bringing in guests). However, I wasn't quite sure, whether or not my travel patterns would make the $495/yr. worth it.

Considering I fly standby I don't find mileage of a concern to me, so that's useless and out of the running.

Usually I go about travelling a round trip every other week, to month. And am in the airport for about an hour and a half to two hours prior to when the plane leaves.

Would it make sense to invest in a PP membership or is it not worth it for the time usually spent in the airport?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
IMO it really depends on the quality of lounges available at your home airport and your frequent destinations. Personally, I value lounge visits at minimum $10/visit for quick stop (a drink and a snack I'd be having at an airport bar anyway) and up to $50 for a longer visit where I'll be having a meal, a few drinks and maybe a shower, or a visit in a very expensive country (Norway, Switzerland, UK).

You're describing around 25 round trips per year. So at least 50 potential visits to departure lounges, and maybe more if you are connecting along the way. Is having a quiet, comfortable place to relax, a free drink or two and a light meal worth $10/visit to you? Only you can decide. But $10/visit of "value" isn't hard to achieve. For someone doing only 10 or 15 visits a year, it's a much harder proposition. I find a lot of people overvalue lounge visits because they place value on the "exclusivity" which to me is worth nothing.

I have seen people pay $50/person to enter a Priority Pass lounge which had nothing on offer besides coffee and scrambled eggs (5am, no alcohol). But if, for example, you are transiting LHR twice a month and have no status, you will easy get $25+ in value from the lounges there on each visit because of how expensive things are at that airport generally.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can buy a PP membership for about a hundred dollars a year that includes UA lounges and they pay about thirty dollars per lounge visit.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can buy a PP membership for about a hundred dollars a year that includes UA lounges and they pay about thirty dollars per lounge visit.
Considering, the escape lounge gives me a discount that knocks it down to $25 already, it'd be no use -especially with guests.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
UA dropped Priority Pass about 14 months ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rity-pass.html
Old Jul 24, 2016, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
UA dropped Priority Pass about 14 months ago.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rity-pass.html
Not much of a loss for international travellers IMO. With the exception of HKG and LHR, United Clubs tend to be quite mediocre.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:07 am

Programs: *G
just check the PP list to see if their affiliated lounges are available where you need them. even if flying weekly, if you have no access, theres no point. and i remember when based in US that most of the legacy carrier lounges are excluded.

for me, the value is going through small to medium sized international airports or otherwise flying on non-alliance airlines, where there is no access to alliance lounges. in which case, PP grants access to independent lounges.

but then again, these lounges often have pay access at ~25/visit.

personally i wouldnt pay 500$ straight up for membership, but get it through amex platinum that provides other benefits that i do value
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by deniah
just check the PP list to see if their affiliated lounges are available where you need them. even if flying weekly, if you have no access, theres no point. and i remember when based in US that most of the legacy carrier lounges are excluded.

for me, the value is going through small to medium sized international airports or otherwise flying on non-alliance airlines, where there is no access to alliance lounges. in which case, PP grants access to independent lounges.

but then again, these lounges often have pay access at ~25/visit.

personally i wouldnt pay 500$ straight up for membership, but get it through amex platinum that provides other benefits that i do value
I've always thought of PP as an insurance policy in case I'm in a situation without other lounge access or where I might wan't to use some other lounge to which I wouldn't otherwise be entitled.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I find the PP membership through AMEX Plat to be of great value. You can get three supplementary cards. Get into the AMEX Centurion lounges. Plus the additional benefits from the card ($200 airline credit and more) really make up for the annual fee.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
It's worth it when you get it for "free" with Amex, IMO. Not sure I would buy it on my own but then again I have access to AA lounges. First choice Amex lounge, then AA domestic, and up in the air intl.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:45 am

PP is extremely useful for international travel - much less so for US domestic - but there are some notable exceptions. I agree that Amex Plat is typically best.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:45 am

I've always thought of PP as an insurance policy in case I'm in a situation without other lounge access or where I might wan't to use some other lounge to which I wouldn't otherwise be entitled.
My "insurance" in that case is to simply sit in the terminal.

The number of airports where free/cheap wifi and a seat are not available in the terminal but are in a lounge is rapidly declining. And beyond that the value proposition - "free" drinks/snacks - is minimal to me. Turns out I'm happy flying without downing a cocktail first.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Oh wow. I thought you still had to pay the $27 for family members when using the Amex, which was why I originally considered the Citi Prestige. Your all correct on the platinum card being the best bet, but would you find it truly worth the $450, especially considering we likely won't use the $200 airfare credit?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Same thinking here. It's good for backups.

Example, I just flow JFK-FRA on SQ in J. Upon arrival in FRA there is no arrival lounge for SQ customers. Via PP, I was able to access the Luxx Lounge (former Admirals Club) for a shower (which was really all I was hoping to get out of it). Not a great lounge by any means, but that shower was about all that kept me going for the following 7 hours that day.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:24 am
Original Poster

So, I guess we should just flip this to if the Amex is worth it.

Considering PP Prestige and DL SC Exec, combined would be WAYY more pricewise than the card. So from that stand point, yes. But, just in general, is it worth paying the $450/yr. in the first place.

Mods, could we move this into CCs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.