Is Priority Pass worth the money?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Priority Pass website: https://www.prioritypass.com/#

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via Chase credit cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...erve-ritz.html

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via American Express Credit Cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-benefit.html

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via CitiBank Credit Cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...=priority+pass

Entry denied thread (housed in the Citi forum): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...unge-full.html

Entry denied thread, Alaska Board Room lounges. (housed in the Alaska Airlines forum) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...l#post28524751
Print Wikipost

Is Priority Pass worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by baroqen
OP,

For me, the Prestige card has been fantastic, even with the recent benefit reductions I will be keeping the card. However, I'm located internationally in Asia, and the lounges here are generally better than the ones back home. That said, I also often travel with my kids, and lounge access has been a HUGE benefit. My wife is obssessed with worrying about the kids eating enough, so she feeds them at every airport we ever go to. Even snacks are fine, as long as they eat so the lounge offerings have always done the trick. With 4 of us, it's a considerable savings for some soft drinks or juices and snacks when we travel.

Value is very personal however, depending on your circumstances. For you, I wouldn't even bother considering the Amex.

Is there a PP lounge in the airports you usually travel through? Obviously, this is the big one. Without the right lounges at the airports, any membership is worthless. Also important, are those lounge offerings adequate?

Do you guys ever fly separately, or with extra friends/relatives? Each AU gets their own PP with the full self plus 2 guest benefit. Thats 6 people total if your spouse is also an AU.

Do you or your guests drink? If you drink alchohol, you will definitely get your money's worth with a free beer now and then (I don't drink).

Do you generally grab a bite to eat, if so are you relatively picky? The lounges near me are really pretty good. Plenty of hot and cold options. However, last time I was back home it was still decent with some sandwiches, veggies, and soup.

Ultimately, I would focus on these things. 100% worth it for me, even if I have to go back to domestic lounges one day I will keep the card. Don't forget the fourth night free benefit for hotels with this card as well, and from what I understand you can still use the airline credit to purchase airline gift cards. Maybe a Christmas gift idea!
Good points, my main airports are DAB, ATL MCO, and MSP. 3 of which having PP lounges and skyclubs. I don't drink either, despite what seems to be a cult like following of woodford addicts in the lounge (ahem, kipper). I often have family with me, hence the reason why the Prestige was more attractive to me over the Amex, despite it's better lounges (SCs and Centurions vs AA), and HHonors gold -which believe me, were attractive.

Just keep your input coming guys. Still unsure, whether I should get it or not, but is becoming more interesting.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:49 am

I went through this same dilemma recently and eventually opted for the Prestige. The Plat actually kind of fits my personal travel schedule better as far as lounges go. But I wanted to be able to bring guests when I travel with co-workers or family. The thing that pushed the Prestige over the edge for me was the 4th night free benefit. Based on that alone, I have made back my annual fee and then some and I've only had the card for a about 6 months.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A lot of it depends on where you're going to be. Australia where there's only one (soon to be two) lounge? Absolutely not. The United States? Fairly useless. A lot of European travel to secondary cities? Absolutely.

I get it via the Amex Platinum and it's been a nice perk for me but the times when the question was PP or nothing were fairly slim, maybe half a dozen times in the last year. It's a nice thing to have, but it should be an incidental benefit of card membership, not a motivating factor of getting one.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:00 pm

I have both the Prestige and Amex Plat. Here's my 2c OP:

Earlier you mentioned you probably won't use the directed $200 fee credit for Amex Platinum. Prestige is an automatic (usually) $250 air travel credit that would show up after an airfare-type purchase. +1 for Prestige

Since you always take DL, Amex could have this one won since you'd have access to SC when flying, but 75% of your main airports have a PP lounge. I've personally been to the MCO and ATL ones and feel they're on par with domestic SC in those locations. Airspace lounges and Centurion lounges also allow guests for free on Amex Platinum. +0.5 for Amex

HHonors Gold Status with Platinum. However, if you stay at hotels for at least 4 consecutive nights, the 4th night free benefit could outweigh HHonors Gold IMO.
* +1 for Amex if avg. stay <4 nights
* +1 for Prestige if >4 nights

You would be looking at AF of $200 for Prestige taking air credit into account. No additional guest fees for lounges and you could use the GE fee credit and 4th night free benefit to recoup rest of annual fee and then some. For an extra $50, you could get your SO a card and bring in up to 4 guests.

For Amex Platinum, AF would be at least $425 ($450 + $175 AU - $200 Air Credit) plus a $27 guest fee each time you bring your kid in. If you bring them on 10 trips a year, the annual cost is now $695. You could reduce the cost by $200 for the GE credit (1st year) if you use both waivers and whatever you value HHonors Gold at. +2 for Prestige.

Even though the Amex is superior for you since you fly DL, the fee structure on Prestige makes more sense even though you might get shorted a few lounges or benefits. As a side note, 3X TY points on Air Travel and Hotels for Prestige.

Last edited by ginoa724; Sep 5, 2016 at 5:05 pm Reason: wording change
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
As a personal experience, PP makes a lot of sense in Asia. In Singapore there are about 5-6 lounges across 3 terminals available for PP and some of them, for example SATS Premier are really high quality. I would rather go to SATS Premier than to KrisFlyer Gold.

However I would not pay for PP membership and especially would not pay US $450 fee for that - does not make financial sense for me. Fortunately here in Singapore number of credit cards give PP access for two visits per year as a free benefit. I and my wife have three such cards each, translating into six visits per person per year - more than enough to cover our lounge access requirements.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Only issue is we have one nine year old. It'll be tough getting him a card -especially since you have to be 15+
some lounges have age minimums and other restrictions (eg int'l passengers only)... check before you go

don't forget that some lounges capacity-limit PP over premium (business/first) during peak hours
Originally Posted by invisible
As a personal experience, PP makes a lot of sense in Asia. In Singapore there are about 5-6 lounges across 3 terminals available for PP and some of them, for example SATS Premier are really high quality. I would rather go to SATS Premier than to KrisFlyer Gold.
^
Old Sep 6, 2016, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I find the PP membership through AMEX Plat to be of great value. You can get three supplementary cards. Get into the AMEX Centurion lounges. Plus the additional benefits from the card ($200 airline credit and more) really make up for the annual fee.
I agree with this.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E75
Useless Priority Pass

Fortunately I did not pay to get the Priority Pass as is seems useless. I am already Star Gold, so I thought that Priority Pass could be useful for some airports without a strong *A presence, like CGH or MVD.

I tried to use my new Priority Pass at both airport: in CGH, the Priority Pass lounge is the tiniest I have ever seen and it is located before security. Much nicer Bradesco lounge, airside, was accessible with my Amex.

In MVD, there is a nice lounge managed by the airport, open day long. Problem is, Priority Pass is only accepted after 2 PM! My flight was at 13:55...
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
PP can be hit-and-miss. I have it as part of a credit card and, while I wouldn't pay for it on a standalone basis, it has had *some* value to me.

Just depends on where you travel, your expectations, and your other lounge options. Some of my destinations have included access to Alaska, Virgin America, and Air Canada lounges (with no requirement to fly those airlines) - all adequate places to kill an hour or two.

Other destinations have included access to the crappiest imaginable tiny lounges with one coffeepot, three tables, and little packages of stale cookies. (Lookin' at you, Las Vegas.)

If I was forced to put a value on PP, I might say $150-200/yr for my 15-ish visits per year with an average of 1 guest. I value some lounges at $10-20 per use, others at pretty much $0. In a way, I *will* be forced to make this decision after the American-Citi partnership ends, since that's my current source for PP.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Priority Pass lounges don't really have a reason to discriminate against nonrev passengers, since, as far as I know, they get paid by PP the same no matter whether the passenger is confirmed or not.
I'd imagine their concern would be that a non-rev might be there all day (possibly for multiple days) while waiting for an open seat and as a result use up a lot more than the average amount of consumables as well as taking up space for a lot longer than most customers.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I have the unlimited version of the Priority Pass and I find it worth the money - and I'm a pretty tight fisted traveller. I always travel in Y, on the cheapest fares available (often LCCs), so I have no status with any airline.

I pay the full $409 for the unlimited pass, and probably make 30 visits a year, meaning an average cost of about $14 a visit.

The key points of lounge access for me are showers, peace and quiet, coffee, and a place to sit. It's also nice to see what free nibbles I can scavenge.

The other thing is I'm a heavy smoker, and the lounges often offer a quiet smoking room.

Is it worth $14 to me to take a shower, then relax somewhere quiet with a coffee and a danish, followed by a Marlboro red? Hell, yes!
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:20 pm

Amex Plat for 500 and various canadian cards that have priority pass are 120 per year.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by DavidVenuto
Amex Plat for 500 and various canadian cards that have priority pass are 120 per year.
Not in Austria, unfortunately!
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by DavidVenuto
I'm not aware of any Canadian credit cards for $120/year which come with unlimited PP lounge access, or am I missing something?

With most CCs you still have to pay for each visit (or get x free visits per year).
Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I have the unlimited version of the Priority Pass and I find it worth the money - and I'm a pretty tight fisted traveller. I always travel in Y, on the cheapest fares available (often LCCs), so I have no status with any airline.

I pay the full $409 for the unlimited pass, and probably make 30 visits a year, meaning an average cost of about $14 a visit.

The key points of lounge access for me are showers, peace and quiet, coffee, and a place to sit. It's also nice to see what free nibbles I can scavenge.

The other thing is I'm a heavy smoker, and the lounges often offer a quiet smoking room.

Is it worth $14 to me to take a shower, then relax somewhere quiet with a coffee and a danish, followed by a Marlboro red? Hell, yes!
I'm similar in regards to the low budget travel. However, I would definitely never pay for the Priority Pass membership. It wouldn't be worth it for me.

However, getting it through the Citi Prestige or even better, the new Chase Sapphire Reserve, is a great value proposition for me. The regular paid memberships don't allow guests, and I usually travel with my wife and children. That's what gives the Citi and Chase versions extra value.

I have both the Citi and Chase cards, by the way. The Chase Reserve is a keeper (unless it gets devalued like Citi did), although Citi might be on its way out although the trip delay protection is just fantastic. With super Typhoon Haima headed my way just in time for my flight on Friday, I might end up convinced to keep Citi purely for flight purchases in the future.
The Amex is just... ugh... they're just not competitive in my opinion at all.

If you haven't bit the bullet yet, get the new Chase Sapphire Reserve. If you're not familiar (although it's been everywhere lately), it comes with a $300 credit (which is extremely easy to use and flexible), the card is essentially only $150 net per year, with an insane 100,000 Ultimate Rewards points, which equates to 100,000 miles on quite a few airlines. Even if you don't transfer it to miles, it's worth $1,500 in travel when booked through their portal at 1.5 cents per point. It's a great deal.

The Priority Pass from Chase is mostly better than Citi's version. It allows essentially an unlimited number of guests per entry. The Citi version is 2 additional guests, or your entire immediate family. Citi's card has slight advantages in process (they send the card immediately, with Chase you have to request it online) and convenience (You can use the e-card on the app at lounges that accept it. Chase's version is physical card only).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.