Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass - Access Denied (lounge full)

Old Dec 29, 2015, 1:58 am
Original Poster

I tried to use my Priority Pass Select membership that comes with the Citi Prestige card for the first time.

I was denied access at the No. 1 lounge due to the club being full. The interesting part was that only some people were refused. After some googling it appears that only Priority Pass members are selectively targeted and refused entry in these situations.

Needless to say that this is extremely disappointing. What good is a membership if its members are being selectively denied access to a lounge whenever the lounge so desires?

This was the first time that I tried to use this card. I simply don't have the opportunity all that often.

Is this normal at the No.1 lounge and others?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:23 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by michaelr
googling it appears that only Priority Pass members are selectively targeted and refused entry in these situations.
You have not provided links to any of the sources of this information. Did the lounge management or Collinson (the operators of Priority Pass) confirm this or is it only speculation?

What do you think a lounge should do when it is full?

What happened when you went to the other Priority Pass lounge at Terminal 3?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
You have not provided links to any of the sources of this information. Did the lounge management or Collinson (the operators of Priority Pass) confirm this or is it only speculation?
This is the very question I am asking! Can anyone confirm that only Priority Pass members are targeted? I did not state that this is what happened. However, the lounge did not seem busy and after talking with another traveler, we came across this thread.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/dis...d?page=2#55066

Calling Priority Pass will do nothing. I expect this not to be their policy but I am asking for feedback whether other people have experienced this behavior as than what can be easily googled and may or may not be true.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:29 pm
mia

Heathrow allows passengers to prepay lounge visits...

https://secure.heathrow.com/?p=l&src=WLHR71

I speculate that as lounges approach capacity they would give preference to those who have paid to visit on a specific date over Priority Pass / Airport Angel / Diners Cub and other memberships.

I am curious if you encountered the same problem at the other lounge?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:42 pm

hmmm...where could I find this info. Maybe I will pull up Priority Pass website and read the FAQ's...bam in 20 seconds I found an answer

"Why have I been denied access to a lounge on the Priority Pass program?

We apologize for the inconvenience. Sometimes lounge operators will impose restrictions based on lounge capacity, to ensure guests have a pleasant experience."

I have been denied at ORD T5 before, but went back an hour later after a couple flights departed and was allowed in.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've been denied access to a Priority pass lounge only once, it was the Wingtips lounge @ JFK. I was admitted 10-20 mins later once people had cleared out for a flight. In their defense it was also the peak of the evening rush of international departures.

I'd suspect its very much YMMV, both with the lounge and PP.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 9:01 pm

No1 lounge at T3

Very interesting, had the same experience today at No1 lounge at T3, access denied on the basis that lounge was at capacity.

Stayed in front of the lounge from 2.40pm to 3.05pm while complaining with Priority Pass cistomer service, while i counted 15 people getting out, but access still denied.

It seems more of a sales strategy rather than a coincidence - if in peak days i can charge 36gbp for entrance, why would i let those 'free riders' of Priority Pass in?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:24 am

Same thing just happened to me at the T5 lounge. They said "too many people are using Priority Pass today" and offered to take my name for a 30 minute wait.

This was the first time I tried to use it. So far it's pretty worthless.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 10:57 am

Here is proof : it is quite happening often atleast in US Airport lounges.

http://imgur.com/a/hLVq3
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:14 am
mia

Originally Posted by johndoes
... US Airport lounges.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...b-c-space.html

Yes, it's a known problem at Alaska Airlines lounges, and I expect them to leave Priority Pass the same as AA, DL and UA did, but are there recurring problems at independent lounges?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
What good is a membership if its members are being selectively denied access to a lounge whenever the lounge so desires?
Lounge operators always have the final authority to determine who can get in.

If you believe that the lounge operator systemically excludes PP members, then you can file a complain with PP and let PP to deal with it.

I simply don't have the opportunity all that often.
Then why does OP bother to apply for a card with AF that has a benefit that can't use?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Was just denied at AMS airport... Was told to come back in an hour. Perhaps I will... perhaps I won't... we shall see..
Old Aug 1, 2017, 3:32 am

Unfortunately this is pretty common. While I haven't been denied to any lounges before, I know the lounges essentially have a hierarchy when it gets busy. Priority Pass users are sadly at the bottom of that hierarchy and will be restricted access first due to capacity control when there is high demand. I love my PP, but I am aware of the risk. Fortunately, most of the airports I usually travel to have multiple lounges to choose from, and I haven't been turned away so far.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
It also happens at UA Clubs. Tried to enter a UA Club in AUS last year with a day pass and was told to come back "in awhile" because they full. Came back in 15 min. and they let me in. Bogus...
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by baroqen
Priority Pass users are sadly at the bottom of that hierarchy and will be restricted access first due to capacity control when there is high demand.
This is the reality that no one seems to be understand.

The purpose of PP, at its first place, is to provide access when the lounge has excess capacities.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.