Is Priority Pass worth the money?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Priority Pass website: https://www.prioritypass.com/#

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via Chase credit cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...erve-ritz.html

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via American Express Credit Cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-benefit.html

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via CitiBank Credit Cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...=priority+pass

Entry denied thread (housed in the Citi forum): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...unge-full.html

Entry denied thread, Alaska Board Room lounges. (housed in the Alaska Airlines forum) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...l#post28524751
Print Wikipost

Is Priority Pass worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Oh wow. I thought you still had to pay the $27 for family members when using the Amex, which was why I originally considered the Citi Prestige. Your all correct on the platinum card being the best bet, but would you find it truly worth the $450, especially considering we likely won't use the $200 airfare credit?
You have to consider Amex Plat as a whole-at least as it works for us. The FHR program, $200 credit-which we do use. (Even works for drinks on the plane, change fees etc) PP.

Amex Plat PP is the full use-unlimited entry-no $27.00. Great deal. And that's for all 4 card members you can put on the account.

We also got free Global Entry.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
You have to consider Amex Plat as a whole-at least as it works for us. The FHR program, $200 credit-which we do use. (Even works for drinks on the plane, change fees etc) PP.

Amex Plat PP is the full use-unlimited entry-no $27.00. Great deal. And that's for all 4 card members you can put on the account.

We also got free Global Entry.
Only issue is we have one nine year old. It'll be tough getting him a card -especially since you have to be 15+
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Only issue is we have one nine year old. It'll be tough getting him a card -especially since you have to be 15+
That's true. And I think 7 is the magic number to have to pay for PP entrance.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
That's true. And I think 7 is the magic number to have to pay for PP entrance.
We constantly travel as a family hence the reason why I'm a little weary of the Amex. Especially considering there's no way we'd pay $29 for entry to an SC.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

You'd think all lounges that honor Amex, would allow children under 15 to enter free. I mean come on. They cant even join PP, let alone get an Amex.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:29 pm

You have to consider Amex Plat as a whole-at least as it works for us. Great deal. And that's for all 4 card members you can put on the account.
FWIW, the 4 cards (supplemental 3) costs $175/yr in additional to the member's $450.

I've used PP internationally and it works great. But no guests allowed, whereas Amex Centarion lets family member in FOC
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
What do you mean by "flying standby"? The PP program requires a confirmed boarding pass to enter, FYI.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector
What do you mean by "flying standby"? The PP program requires a confirmed boarding pass to enter, FYI.
We get a seat request card. Looks identical to a boarding pass and has a PNR. And, at the very least IK both the escape lounge and skyclub here honor it.

Took three scans last time.

Last edited by TheLifeOfA_NKCM; Jul 25, 2016 at 2:16 pm
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I have Priority Pass with the Citi Prestige card and I like it. Figure the credit card is only netting out at $200/yr, and for now you get AA access (when you fly AA) plus PP access no matter who you fly, I find it to be a fantastic deal.

My uses in the past few months:
- Three or four generic contract lounges in Europe. Can't remember exact brands but it doesn't matter: these are your typical setup with a few local wines and beers, plus call liquor. All of them okay, none spectacular.
- Virgin America lounge at LAX. Nice lounge. We were flying a delayed Spirit flight that day, which made the lounge access especially enjoyable.
- Alaska lounges at PDX and SEA. Solid lounges.
- Some contract lounge at LAS that kind of sucked.
- AC lounge at LGA. Good lounge outside security so you can use it regardless of which airline you're flying.
- Probably one or two more I'm not recalling right now.

The Citi Prestige card currently allows three adults (cardholder plus 2) to enter with no additional charge. $27 per guest after that. A couple of these were biz trips with 2 colleagues, so that worked out perfectly.

The question for me will be whether the Citi card is worth it beyond 2017 without AA access. I also fly enough AA to use that benefit semi-often, but not quite enough to convert over to the Citi card with full AA membership (and no PP).

My annual fee comes due in May 2017, so I guess I have time to think about it...
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
I have Priority Pass with the Citi Prestige card and I like it. Figure the credit card is only netting out at $200/yr, and for now you get AA access (when you fly AA) plus PP access no matter who you fly, I find it to be a fantastic deal.

My uses in the past few months:
- Three or four generic contract lounges in Europe. Can't remember exact brands but it doesn't matter: these are your typical setup with a few local wines and beers, plus call liquor. All of them okay, none spectacular.
- Virgin America lounge at LAX. Nice lounge. We were flying a delayed Spirit flight that day, which made the lounge access especially enjoyable.
- Alaska lounges at PDX and SEA. Solid lounges.
- Some contract lounge at LAS that kind of sucked.
- AC lounge at LGA. Good lounge outside security so you can use it regardless of which airline you're flying.
- Probably one or two more I'm not recalling right now.

The Citi Prestige card currently allows three adults (cardholder plus 2) to enter with no additional charge. $27 per guest after that. A couple of these were biz trips with 2 colleagues, so that worked out perfectly.

The question for me will be whether the Citi card is worth it beyond 2017 without AA access. I also fly enough AA to use that benefit semi-often, but not quite enough to convert over to the Citi card with full AA membership (and no PP).

My annual fee comes due in May 2017, so I guess I have time to think about it...
I fly Delta very exclusively (obvious reasons) which is what was nice about the amex (as well as the Centurions though none are where I usually fly). Only thing that held me back from it was it's guesting privileges and is why I'm considering the Prestige in the first place.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Quick side note, I just realized something. I have Mr. Vker's signature literally above my front door..
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:18 pm

Quick side note, I just realized something. I have Mr. Vker's signature literally above my front door..

^
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by dtsm
FWIW, the 4 cards (supplemental 3) costs $175/yr in additional to the member's $450.

I've used PP internationally and it works great. But no guests allowed, whereas Amex Centarion lets family member in FOC
I think in Centurion, one can bring two guests/card-not account. Doesn't have to be family.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

I think in Centurion, one can bring two guests/card-not account. Doesn't have to be family.
Yeah, good point. At the same time however, 90% of my travel is between MSP & MCO. Which is where the problem lies. I think if I was to get a card otherwise it'd definitely go ahead w/ the Amex.

However, this brings back to question. How useful have you all found either of the cards. Anything underrated that you've come to appreciate from them?

[EDIT: Okay, yeah, this now really does need to be moved into the CCs board]

Last edited by TheLifeOfA_NKCM; Jul 25, 2016 at 10:03 pm
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:09 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by eigenvector
highly variable. enforced lounge by lounge, if its even a rule at all.

as far as guesting, the amex-PP allows guesting - each gets billed 27$ directly to assofiated amex account

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.