Is Priority Pass worth the money?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Priority Pass website: https://www.prioritypass.com/#

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via Chase credit cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...erve-ritz.html

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via American Express Credit Cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-benefit.html

Ongoing FT discussion about Priority Pass benefits offered via CitiBank Credit Cards: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...=priority+pass

Entry denied thread (housed in the Citi forum): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...unge-full.html

Entry denied thread, Alaska Board Room lounges. (housed in the Alaska Airlines forum) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...l#post28524751
Print Wikipost

Is Priority Pass worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I’m having misgivings about having gone and got this card, the version with 10 visits included. The quality is not great from what I’ve seen so far, including the Schengen lounge (Lounge 25) in AMS and the Yotel lounge in Paris CDG.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Concerto
I’m having misgivings about having gone and got this card, the version with 10 visits included. The quality is not great from what I’ve seen so far, including the Schengen lounge (Lounge 25) in AMS and the Yotel lounge in Paris CDG.
No, the quality is not great when you compare it to, say, CX's J & F lounges. But it is better than sitting at a Burger King in an airport concourse, and it the long run probably doesn't cost all that much more.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
You’ve got a very good point there. Actually, I’ve weathered waits of 3-4 hours in the last 6 months at both Moscow airports, AMS and CDG and the time does go by if you’ve got a book/ebook or some work to do and can find a place to sit (at DME airport I met a really nice guy, a Russian businessman, in the same predicament, and we hit a few beers together and had a meal in the terminal).

As a self imposed rule, because I bought the 10-visit Priority Pass, I don’t go to the lounge if I have a layover of less than two and a half hours. That way, in the average larger airport (i.e. AMS), I would have around 2 hours total time, maybe a bit less, in the lounge which is more commensurate with the (prepaid) cost of the visit. That way I don’t “waste” a visit if the time there is going to be too short.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Free unlimited use of priority pass

The priority pass card is free with the Wespac World Card (which is also free due to the rebate on spend)
SO well worth having it
unlimited use ...used it three times in a day (3 airports) with a guest ...all free
Old Feb 5, 2018, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I continue to be frustrated at how Alaska just turns you away now - they don't even bother putting out the sign anymore. So you walk in, maybe wait for 1-2 other people to get let in, and then are told no. At this point, PP should just cut bait with AS - it's clear that AS doesn't want PP around and they aren't particularly nice about it.

On the plus side, I continue to enjoy the restaurants even more than (most) lounges. Timberline Steaks, Terminal C in Denver, nice full dinner for 2 adults and 2 kids with drinks and everything - absolutely no charge to me. ^

This was on a long flight to DEN coming from CDG, and I'll concur that the CDG contract lounge wasn't the greatest. But that's what I've always expected from PP: it's a free (or really cheap) program that gets you into some basic lounges. It's not CX F and never will be. But as long as I know I can actually GET IN, not get the runaround because they arbitrarily decide they don't want PP at that moment, I'm okay with it. Most of the European lounges I'd rate at about the level of a U.S. domestic airline lounge...sometimes slightly better wine/liquor, sometimes slightly worse...but I never had an expectation that they be great. Just that they be *there*.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
On the plus side, I continue to enjoy the restaurants even more than (most) lounges. Timberline Steaks, Terminal C in Denver, nice full dinner for 2 adults and 2 kids with drinks and everything - absolutely no charge to me. ^
I just wonder how sustainable the restaurant part of PP is. I struggle to see how it works for PP. I mean we won't really know how much the CC issuers pay PP for their various levels of access, but with the CSR and "unlimited" guests at a net AF of $150 and the Prestige and Amex in the $200-300 range. it just doesn't jive. I mean your timberline meal cost PP $100ish for the 4 of you. Do you think the CC issuer linked to that paid PP that much for your annual access?

I don't pretend to know what's going to happen, but I think either the restaurants are going to leave, or get removed, as quickly as they arrived; PP is going to up what they're charging the banks for PP access; or both.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:12 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I mean your timberline meal cost PP $100ish for the 4 of you.
PP is going to pay a fraction of the prices you see on the menu.

No restaurant which is happy with its capacity utilization is gonna team up with PP. Restaurants which do team up have some slack in their "production". What they want from PP are payments exceeding their marginal cost.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I just wonder how sustainable the restaurant part of PP is. I struggle to see how it works for PP. I mean we won't really know how much the CC issuers pay PP for their various levels of access, but with the CSR and "unlimited" guests at a net AF of $150 and the Prestige and Amex in the $200-300 range. it just doesn't jive. I mean your timberline meal cost PP $100ish for the 4 of you. Do you think the CC issuer linked to that paid PP that much for your annual access?

I don't pretend to know what's going to happen, but I think either the restaurants are going to leave, or get removed, as quickly as they arrived; PP is going to up what they're charging the banks for PP access; or both.
As long as there are lounges and restaurants wanting to get a big chunk of revenue/cash to cover their fixed costs and the PP payments exceed the marginal costs of getting that revenue, there will be lounges and restaurants wanting in on the action.

While there are people like me who look at people getting unlimited PP access for a net cost of as low as $150/year and maximize it, I’m also sure that most people who have unlimited PP access for a net cost of as low as $150/year are using the PP cards a handful of times per year, with many people not even enrolling in the PP access benefit despite it being an included benefit of their bank card.

One of my bank cards with no annual fee this first year includes PP with unlimited visits by me for the year. That’s $0 for unlimited PP the first year. And yet this isn’t new. And yet PP and the banks are doing what they do, while the PP-affiliated lounges and restaurants are doing what they do.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 6, 2018 at 6:51 am
Old Feb 6, 2018, 7:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Priority Pass is owned by an insurance company, and they now have 25 years experience doing the actuarial calculations balancing the premiums received (membership fees) versus the claims paid (lounge visits). They operate a few lounges themselves (through another subsidiary), which means they better understand the economics of lounge operation, and this gives them an advantage when setting reimbursement rates.

I assume that they have rolled out the restaurant feature very slowly because they need utilization data. We may see some restaurant redemption rule tweaks before they expand coverage.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

I spoke with employees at PDX - Priority Pass pays the restaurants $26 person per visit (we receive $28 in credit). The House Spirits Distillery employee said that the increased traffic makes the $2 "loss" well worth participation.

What is opaque to us is how much Chase/Amex pay PP. Because Chase is unlimited guests and Amex is one guest (previously zero guests), my conclusion (read: guess) is that the guests are being covered by the credit card company.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 4:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
I...Amex is one guest ....
American Express pays for two guests. Citi pays for immediate family or two guests. In practice the annual difference between paying for two guests and any number of guests is probably very small. Also, Chase outsourced their Priority Pass memberships to a third party contractor who probably covers the guest expenses.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Is lounge hopping allowed? (specifically on a "unlimited" subscription)
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mia
American Express pays for two guests. Citi pays for immediate family or two guests. In practice the annual difference between paying for two guests and any number of guests is probably very small. Also, Chase outsourced their Priority Pass memberships to a third party contractor who probably covers the guest expenses.
Two guests for Centurion but one guest for Priority Pass.
https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/...rity-pass.html

Interesting about Chase outsourcing it.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103
Two guests for Centurion but one guest for Priority Pass.
https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/...rity-pass.html
That link isn't for the US Platinum card, it's for the International Currency Card. The terms and conditions for the US Platinum card are here, which says: "At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge that admits guests, you may bring in two guests for no charge. You will be charged $27 for any additional guests. Some lounges do not admit guests." https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...0/#offer-terms
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by seaskybound
Is lounge hopping allowed? (specifically on a "unlimited" subscription)
You can visit as many lounges as you want (at any airport) in a single day, assuming time and security protocols (i.e. terminal switching) permit. I have personally visited 2-3 @BKK @pek @MEX and @IAD
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.