Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Signs that you're traveling too much....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Signs that you're traveling too much....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Being so familiar with the hotel room layout that you don't need to turn on the light to make your way to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
Don't have near the credentials as a lot of you. But I'll add.

1) As a male, your pockets feel 'out of balance' when you're at home because you don't have your passport on you, or because the keys in your pocket belong to a vehicle and house you actually own.

2) At home, before shutting the door to your house as you walk out, you stop and check for your hotel key
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:22 pm

another give away is when you get home and expect for your bathroom faucets to operate as the sensor touchless faucets like the ones we have at airport bath rooms and wonder if we need to call the plumbers for repair as you just put your hands down there and no water coming out
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, ALL, etc.
Originally Posted by Foltan
2 passports.

Partly to apply for visas.

Partly so that when you visit "certain countries", they don't hassle you for having visited "certain other countries"...
Same here! My passport full of stamps in Arabic is well kept at home while in the US

Other signs I travel too much:

- When you realise that in every one of the last 4 years you've been to 25-30 countries, and the trend is looking upwards
- When this causes to renew both my passports every 3 or 4 years because there's no more room for stamps (no possibility of adding extra pages in Europe)
Old Aug 5, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: *G, VS Silver, HH Diamond
You never care when your passport expires because you're renewing it every 3 or 4 years now

Forget which country/city you're in regularly when waking up in the morning

Grocery shopping occurs at train stations/can live off of Pret for a day and a half/honestly cannot recall last time I cooked or someone cooked for me

I no longer buy toothpaste - travel sizes from amenity kits and hotels are perfect

Purposefully only wash hair in airports and hotels because they have far superior water pressure - which has lead to judging hotel quality by their showers

Immigration recognises you and asks how your Danish is coming along

Hotel key cards that don't have the name of the hotel on them are the devil
Old Aug 5, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
When you walk into a bar (not in your hometown) and the bartender fixes your favorite cocktail without asking.

When you get into your rental car and you start setting the radio dials to your favorite stations as you already know them.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, CR
when you get on a plane from Singapore, and the Cabin crew director says "you left your book on the plane on Sunday, it's in my bag for you"...

happened to to me yesterday. Mildly embarrassing.
Bear4Asian likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
As a student having status with multiple airlines/hotel chains is super rare and (I think) should suffice.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by jacobguo
As a student having status with multiple airlines/hotel chains is super rare and (I think) should suffice.
Not on this forum
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
How many of you would address a city by its airport code?

Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
When most of the stuff mentioned on this thread is just SOP and you just nod reading them.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Ausriver
I do it all the time and fellow friends who are (unfortunately?) not frequent travelers don't really mind it for most of the destinations, Canadian airports exempted

Just happened to me recently - hitting the same immigration officer on entry & exit! He even makes an extra favor of finding a very crowded page and stamping there instead to save pages.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Palal
Not on this forum
Agreed
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I find it works best when the airport code is also a common abbreviation for the city's name-- SEA, SLC, DEN, to name a few. It works less well in cities where there are multiple airports or the airport code does not represent the city's name. "I'm looking forward to a week at MDW," said no one, ever.

There are some exceptions to the airport-name-is-similar-to-the-city-name principle. SFO is one. "Looking for restaurants suggestions for my trip to SFO!" is a common ask in my neck of the woods. But the answers are completely different depending on whether the asker is a) in SFO Airport, b) staying at one of the several large, conference oriented hotels next to the airport, or c) visiting San Francisco proper.

As for "You Know You Travel Too Much When"... you make pedantic arguments about airport codes like the above.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:23 am

When you wake up and your first thought is "where the he** am I?", then have a momentary panic attack, thinking you should be in a different city, just before remembering it's your day off and you are at home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.