carry on only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

carry on only

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
If my carry on easily fits and is legal, how can its presence cause issues with my fellow travelers?
What you described is not within the limits in Economy for many airlines (a backpack and a 20" Costco 4 wheeler)

Your fellow travellers would have every right to be annoyed.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
I can easily pack 7 shirts, 7 pants and 5 pairs of shorts in my roller, along with a pair of nice shoes or my sneakers and all the socks and underwear I need.
That's it. I can carry a week's work of clothes in a roller. A week's clothes is enough for any trip. I'll pay hotel laundry fees once a week, no problem.

Typical packing is 5 pants (slacks take so much less space than jeans),
5 dress shirts, 6 undershirts, 2-3 polos (depending on climate/humidity),
7 sets of undies/socks, two pairs of shoes (one worn, one packed),
one blazer/coat packed and one worn (along with topcoat in winter),
one pair of trunks, one t-shirt, slippers.

I can live for a six months out of that suitcase.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pilotalan
That's it. I can carry a week's work of clothes in a roller. A week's clothes is enough for any trip. I'll pay hotel laundry fees once a week, no problem.

Typical packing is 5 pants (slacks take so much less space than jeans),
5 dress shirts, 6 undershirts, 2-3 polos (depending on climate/humidity),
7 sets of undies/socks, two pairs of shoes (one worn, one packed),
one blazer/coat packed and one worn (along with topcoat in winter),
one pair of trunks, one t-shirt, slippers.

I can live for a six months out of that suitcase.
No toiletries (razor, deodorant, favorite shampoo, etc.)
No exercise equipment (running shoes, shorts, etc.)
No personal or hobby (Book, musical instrument, art supplies, etc.)
No medical (first aid, cough medicine, etc.)

The list could go on.

What you described is sufficient to get up in the morning, go to work, go home and sit in front of the TV. For 6 months? Thanks, but no thanks.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa

The list could go on.

What you described is sufficient to get up in the morning, go to work, go home and sit in front of the TV. For 6 months? Thanks, but no thanks.
I travel with carry on only. I've never had trouble finding space for my running gear which during winter means well beyond running shoes, shorts and shirt (vest, technical undies, long shirt, long wool socks, wind proof pants, windshirt). I also travel with toiletries, a couple of hair care products And makeup. In addition to my mobile office, I carry naproxen and acetaminophen, plus a book in my briefcase. I Haven't had an issue and haven't been bored.

The fact that it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone or that we are compromising. I for one don't find myself saying "I need this or that -I wish I could've had space for it in my carry on".

Edit: forgot to say, I also travel with a bulky gps watch in my bag (and its accessories) and my harmonica in my briefcase.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mbece
I travel with carry on only. I've never had trouble finding space for my running gear which during winter means well beyond running shoes, shorts and shirt (vest, technical undies, long shirt, long wool socks, wind proof pants, windshirt). I also travel with toiletries, a couple of hair care products And makeup. In addition to my mobile office, I carry naproxen and acetaminophen, plus a book in my briefcase. I Haven't had an issue and haven't been bored.

The fact that it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone or that we are compromising. I for one don't find myself saying "I need this or that -I wish I could've had space for it in my carry on".

Edit: forgot to say, I also travel with a bulky gps watch in my bag (and its accessories) and my harmonica in my briefcase.
I don't argue that you can fit that in a carry on. But the post I was responding to also had 5 pairs of slacks, 8 shirts, 6 undershirts, socks, etc., blazer, extra shoes, etc. You're not fitting all of that in a carry on plus the things you describe.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa

My point was that one week of clothes is all that's needed for a trip of any length (a week defined as seven days, not Mon-Fri).

OK, I assumed the toiletries were assumed. Yes, I have a toiletry bag, very small, I can buy more on the road. It has a razor, one hotel-size bottle of shampoo, a hotel bar of soap, deodorant, toothbrush, and one hotel size toothpaste.

No exercise equipment, correct. Hotels have workout rooms. I included swim trunks that double as shorts, and a t-shirt for such things. I don't exercise every day.

My Surface and incidentals (magazine, newspaper) are in my shoulder bag. My Surface is my e-reader, for a long trip I may add an iPad Mini for reading and entertainment.

My shoulder bag carries a few bandaids, two doses of Dayquil and Nyquil, a small bottle of Aleve, and small bottle of prescription painkillers. Anything else I can buy.

The polos are to change out for evening activities. I don't wear jeans at home, so I don't carry them for travel. Slacks, polo, black or brown shoes (and a reversible belt) is all I need.

If I'm somewhere and need something, there's a Target or WalMart nearby. I'll buy a couple extra t-shirts for $4/ea.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by pilotalan
My point was that one week of clothes is all that's needed for a trip of any length
Maybe all that's needed, but I take what I want when I travel, not what I need.

As said upthread, I'd rather have something and not use it in preference to want something and not have it.

Examples. Dress clothes for an unexpected function/party. Personal sports gear I'm familiar with rather than hiring. Preferred brands of toiletries rather than hotel knock-offs. Charger (even for my Kindle which will last a while without charging). Gifts from my home country. I'm sure others could add to this list.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by ft101
Maybe all that's needed, but I take what I want when I travel, not what I need.
I go either way depending on how difficult it will be to haul around large bags or multiple bags. A flight from A to B, staying in the same place for a week, then flying home? A big bag is fine. Switching hotels a few times but going to have a rental car the whole time? A big bag is fine. Hopping from city to city with multiple flights, trains, and/or buses on a long trip? I'll make any reasonable tradeoff to stick with carry-on luggage only.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:51 pm

i don't mind waiting for 20-30 mins for long-haul for baggage, it makes it by then usually (for economy class).
I would check a bag if it allows (unfortunately it's no longer free for US-Canada flights). Everyone is charging almost $28 Cdn for a bag.

I'm glad we're allowed 2 x 23kg bags on international to Asia from Canada.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:34 pm

I cannot recall the last time I checked a bag. I do not travel for business so all clothes are casual. I can almost guarantee I will not be invited to a function requiring dress clothes. My toiletry bag includes small tube of toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, razor, a few Qtips and my medications. The number of shorts v. pants depends on where I am traveling. I generally always have clothes I don't end up wearing.
I only need my passport, medication and wallet. The rest can be purchased along the way if absolutely needed and I missed packing it in the first place.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Silver, Volare Exec (LOL), some hotels (Gold)
carry on only

I managed to handle a two weeks trip across the US with a carry on.
7 shirts/socks/boxers additional sweater and trousers, toothbrush and razor, half of the pack was used for my camera and the lens.
overnight cleaning service and basic amenities in the hotels made uo for the rest.

same for the 10 days at fiji, where the only problem was the beach towel or whatever its name is.

I travel lighter, happier, and cannot remember the last time I checked a bag.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
carry on only

I never check bags unless traveling with my little ones (and that will cease when the youngest can roll a 22" carryon)

In 7 years of heavy business travel the only airline that always forced me to check my 21" B&R is Qantas (though I've had to dodge the LH and BA goons a couple of times). Not checking Probably saved me 48 hours of wasted waiting time as I always have fast track/GE. I have gone on 2 week biz trips this way. The biggest challenge is getting hotel laundry done when you don't have more than 2 nights at the same property!

Anecdote#1: Jr. Associate checks bag. Upon arrival the senior partner says "let's get a taxi. Jr. says "I need to wait for my bag. Sr says "you did What? You idiot, we have to get to the meeting now. I am leaving you here."

Anecdote#2: colleague lands at SVO, his checked bag missed connection but he doesn't know when it will arrive so he takes 2hr ride into town to hotel. Bag arrives 6 hours later, but luggage won't be delivered for 24-48 hrs. So colleague spends another 3 hours in traffic to retrieve bag.

Both true stories. Of course I don't have these problems because I don't check bags.

Anecdote#3: My outbound flight is 3 hours delayed, so I will miss connection on the only flight of the day to Lagos. I scramble to catch alternative flight, then dash 20m OJ-style through IAH just in time to board original connection. No way my bag would have made it.

Personally I am grateful if you check your bag as it leaves more overhead space when I travel economy cabin. But Don't ask me to check mine.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Anecdote#1: Jr. Associate checks bag. Upon arrival the senior partner says "let's get a taxi. Jr. says "I need to wait for my bag. Sr says "you did What? You idiot, we have to get to the meeting now. I am leaving you here."

Sr. Partner sounds like a real piece of work. But, his ego really shouldn't affect Jr. Associate too much (unless the company in question has a policy prohibiting checked bags). Just get a separate taxi and expense it; very simple.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by moondog
Sr. Partner sounds like a real piece of work. But, his ego really shouldn't affect Jr. Associate too much (unless the company in question has a policy prohibiting checked bags). Just get a separate taxi and expense it; very simple.
Agreed.

Senior associate probably spent more time buying toiletries and dropping off laundry than he saved not waiting for luggage.

If he had a meeting scheduled that close to arrival he should have got an earlier flight.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I never check bags unless traveling with my little ones (and that will cease when the youngest can roll a 22" carryon)

Personally I am grateful if you check your bag as it leaves more overhead space when I travel economy cabin. But Don't ask me to check mine.
Let the child decide for themself, but start with a bag that conforms to IATA guidelines.

And you're misguided about overhead space, as those that check bags will still have a cabin bag for the overhead locker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.