Reload this Page >

carry on only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

carry on only

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Everything that I've need/use for a 5 to 7 days domestic trip these days fit into my 22" convertible MLC, with room to expand (once only in last 4 years on a vacation return, with gifts from extended relatives) - less is more. Once beloved UA never "lost" our checked bags, only "delayed" them to be re-united, many hours later on a 6AM LGA-ORD-YVR flight (it went to IAD instead ) and it was checked @ the F counter, ground agent came on duty must've drank bad coffee, with us as first ones waiting for her - luckily, we weren't going on an Alaska cruise that time as Mrs. L was really pissed off. Took them till next day to retrieve my bag on a non-stop JFK-SFO with plenty of time for it to be loaded onto the correct aircraft. Drove back to the airport in the morning as courier delivery would've taken more time.
Depending on the seaons due to bulky 2XLT sizing & ease of access inflight, I keep electronics & gadgets in my TB2 messenger bag or a slimline backpack (personal size) that's good by itself for a quick overnight trip with space for packing cube (S) & 3-1-1's.
Overseas, mainly CX but also other carriers have been good thus far with checked bags but limiting to 1 bag (typically allowance is 2 free bags, but intra-Asia is tricky, so avoid the hassle factor) plus a bigger backpack with 1 extra packing cube. Using a smaller notebook/laptop helps to keep things lighter overall & quick laundry...

Last edited by Letitride3c; Feb 27, 2015 at 10:04 am
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I'd prefer to carry-on only, but I'm usually already carrying on enough camera gear to outfit the papparazzi, so that comes with me on the plane no matter what. A short trip (like next week to Florida) I can carry-on because I'm not bringing the tripod, and a couple extra underwears and a t-shirt will fit in the camera bag. But the trip after? I'll have to check the big bag with the tripod in it.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1
95% of the time, I fly with only a carry-on, and a personal item. It helps that I live in San Diego, and generally don't fly to places that require winter clothing.
Even with some winter clothing, I fly carry-on only + personal item 95% to 99% of the time. However, most of my flights are on RJs, so my suitcase almost always gets "checked" plane-side and returned to me plane-side. Consequently, I've frequently traveled with just a bit more than would fit in a standard carry-on luggage (I have a 22" expandable case), knowing that it will end up underneath the plane anyway.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Weekend or up to 5 days business travel, vacation tours 7-10 days it's HBO only for me. For longer trips one checked bag. Never had anything lost, occasionally delayed, with CC or airline paying for clothes/shoes bought while waiting. (Consider it a bonus, although sometimes time consuming)
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I fly to Asia 2-3 times per year, and up till now I've always checked bags. My usual trip duration is 7-10 days. I finally decided to see if I could do a 10 day trip to Singapore with just a carry on. I bought a 22" Rimowa Salsa Deluxe, and I was surprised at how much I could actually fit in there. The hotel I was at included 2 pieces of complimentary laundry per day, so I had no problem making it thru those 10 days.

I have Global Entry, and returning back to SFO I would always just fly right on thru immigration/customs, but would always get delayed waiting for my bag to arrive. No more!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:37 pm

Both - depends on the trip. No problem waiting for checked baggage, but I find it much easier to get around with just a backpack and cross-body purse. I just don't love rolling a suitcase around Europe or really any large city, so if I'm doing a lot of hopping around or train travel, I prefer to stick everything in a backpack and sink wash throughout the trip. No one will remember if I had the same grey shirt on 1 day or 5 days

No qualms about checking, but I've never (knock on wood) had a bag lost. I'd rather not tempt fate, but I do check when I need to like if I'll be changing climates quite a bit or need to bring presents and things to family in another country. All those products they can't get!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:55 pm

I don't like the carry-on only philosophy. The same prats who pull that stunt are the ones whinging if all the overhead bins are overcrowded. Maybe if you didn't bring carry-ons twice the size of the supposed maximum, there'd be enough space for everyone.

I can see scenarios where travelling "light" makes sense but when I see people talk about going on two week family holidays just with carry-ons I roll my eyes. Like they think it's some badge of honour because some "expert travellers" recommend it.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Maybe if you didn't bring carry-ons twice the size of the supposed maximum, there'd be enough space for everyone.
Upto the airlines to enforce that though. If enforcement was consistent then people would just not bring oversized carry-ons onboard.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I don't like the carry-on only philosophy. The same prats who pull that stunt are the ones whinging if all the overhead bins are overcrowded. Maybe if you didn't bring carry-ons twice the size of the supposed maximum, there'd be enough space for everyone.
When I go carry-on only, I do it with a bag that is well within the size limit. Conversely, I'm sure that some of the people carrying on oversized bags are doing it in addition to checking a bag.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:02 pm

I have been doing the carry-on only for the last 5 years.

It is all about making compromises and learning what you
can and cannot do without. It also feels good to not be
burdened by unnecessary luggage.

It also is not about breaking the rules but learning to live
within them and being respectful of fellow passengers.

How do you start?

1) Pick a bag that is carry-on legal for the airlines you
will be flying.

2) Sort out your items to fit the above bag, preferably
not stuffed to the gills such that you need to put it in
a vice to close the zippers.

It can be challenging but also fun to really scrutinize
what you bring with you.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do. Last week I was on a RJ that requires "valet checking" of larger carry-ons.

When we arrived at BNA, the local baggage service insisted on off-loading all bags onto baggage carts and taking them to baggage claim as if they were checked, so everyone had to wait at the carousel to claim their baggage. They did this for all the incoming flights with "valet check," so baggage claim was packed with people, and it took forever to get bags.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BSBD
Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do. Last week I was on a RJ that requires "valet checking" of larger carry-ons.
To prevent this, for my weekly travels that involve at least a leg on a regional jet, I got a bag that fits in all overhead bins or under the seat. That plus my computer bag gets me thorough a week at least.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mbece
To prevent this, for my weekly travels that involve at least a leg on a regional jet, I got a bag that fits in all overhead bins or under the seat. That plus my computer bag gets me thorough a week at least.
I have a bag that size too, but I wear suits for work AND carry workout clothes, so it's pretty much impossible to use that bag for a trip lasting more than a day or two.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:30 pm

Deleted

Last edited by brendog; Oct 15, 2015 at 3:37 pm
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I am not one of those people who somehow feels more superior or sophisticated by never checking a bag.

I select what I need for the trip. It's great if it fits into my usual carry-on bags but if not I have no problem checking an additional bag. What I am not going to do is go to ridiculous lengths to avoid checking bags such as drying my Hanes with a hair dryer, rushing around to buy shampoo when my 100 ml. runs out or pestering the front desk for a corkscrew if I need one.

It also depends on the nature of the trip. A direct flight to Europe, within North America or one where I will need to go through customs on arrival and I'm more likely to check. I prefer carry-on only however for a multi-stop flight through developing countries where I will switch airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.