carry on only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

carry on only

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
People treat personal items as a 2nd carry-on when it's not meant to be that.
I agree with you on this, Ber2dca.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by sethb
Maybe he manages his time just fine.
Obviously not or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The fifteen minutes he "saved" by not picking up a checked bag could easily have been lost somewhere else on the journey for any innocuous reason. His time management should allow for that.

I would think most posters advocating carry-on only don't fall into this category anyway.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
He thinks it's just fine. The fact that other people who know nothing of his situation disagree is completely irrelevant to anyone who matters.

"could have been" is even less relevant.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:09 am

He thinks it's just fine. The fact that other people who know nothing of his situation disagree is completely irrelevant to anyone who matters.
Only until such time as he screws up. Then he'll find his boss (substitute boss with customer/shareholder/whoever where applicable) disagrees and is quite relevant.

"could have been" is even less relevant.
It is relevant when it happens.

Do traffic jams, late trains, taxis that don't show, flights that circle for 15 minutes, security delays etc etc never happen to these people? Of course they do, and good planning takes these real life situations into account.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Since his income has been 7 or 8 figures for a number of years, I figure he's doing pretty well.

Presumably, it's better to book 20 meetings a week and average getting to 90-95% of them than to book 10 meetings and get to all of them, for somebody whose income derives directly from being at those meetings.

"If you never miss a flight, you're spending too much time in airports."
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:06 am

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by k374
How many of you guys are using the carry on luggage ONLY philosophy advocated by Rick Steves and other world travelers? I see many seasoned travelers swearing off checking in luggage. While I see the benefits i've never actually traveled with carry on only on trips of a week or longer...few days is fine but anything more than that I carry a larger pack that needs to be checked in.

For my next 12 day trip to Europe i'm thinking of going carry on only. Infact I am thinking of making a permanent switch to carry on only for most trip unless I absolutely have to cart something big like my scuba gear on a dedicated scuba trip.
I do carry on 9 out of 10 times, including Australia, China, Europe and South America but not exceeding 7-8 days max. I check in when going on vacations with my wife only and always pray for no loss/damage. Baggage handlers especially in North America are barbarians. Also, the less interaction with any staff at the airport (eliminating check-in) the better! I have had countless luggage problems of all kinds in the past and started carry on practice some 7 years ago after litigating UA over my damaged luggage. We settled out of court after the first hearing but I have no time for this nonsense! I use one standard Rimowa carry on plus laptop bag.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:15 pm

Since his income has been 7 or 8 figures for a number of years, I figure he's doing pretty well.
And for the 99.9% of other "He's" being discussed here, yours would not be the best advised course of action.

I'm glad you clarified you weren't having a general discussion at last.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"If you never miss a flight, you're spending too much time in airports."
not spending time in airport is why i like concept of VIP services (queue jump and more at commercial airport) - not sure why so little discussion on FT when many pay for longhaul F

theyre not available in US, although there is AA five star
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ft101
And for the 99.9% of other "He's" being discussed here, yours would not be the best advised course of action.

I'm glad you clarified you weren't having a general discussion at last.
For some people it is, for others it isn't. You're the one making up numbers ("99.9%").
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:02 am

For some people it is, for others it isn't. You're the one making up numbers ("99.9%").
Your numbers, my research, based on an relatively affluent nation (USA) in 2011 (latest figures I could find).

235,000 make over a million dollars. http://www.quora.com/How-many-people...ear-in-the-USA

Population 311 million. http://www.census.gov/newsroom/relea.../cb11-215.html

So 99.92% to be more acccurate.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Your numbers, my research, based on an relatively affluent nation (USA) in 2011 (latest figures I could find).

235,000 make over a million dollars. http://www.quora.com/How-many-people...ear-in-the-USA

Use 160 million as that is roughly the number of Americans working. My 8 year old granddaughter shouldn't be counted.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Use 160 million as that is roughly the number of Americans working. My 8 year old granddaughter shouldn't be counted.
If she can fly she's getting counted.

Even with your figures, it still works out at 99.9% (to one decimal place )
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now count the number of flights. Those people fly 100 times as often as the average person, possibly more. And each of those $1 million + people travels with a handful of others (juniors, assistants) who earn less.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:11 am
Original Poster

some humor relating to baggage at the airport... this guy is pretty funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=56&v=lXZMlEy7fb4

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.