Wiki Posts
Search

carry on only

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:14 pm
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'd say about 90% of trips I do, but I actually like checking bags every now and again. Especially when I'm flying back from a long trip. When I have a bag full of just dirty clothes I pray they lose my bag for a while. I'll take some compensation for something I won't miss for a few days.
Yes, delayed baggage tends to be less of a problem on the way home than on the outbound part of the trip.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Paul56
Originally Posted by ladiflier
There is a perceived certain air of smugness among the carry-on only crowd but whatever.
I have never noticed that; however, I have noticed some of the
carry-on crowd struggling with their items and looking anything but smug.

Perhaps they have not discovered that going carry-on only also involves
a minimalist packing approach.
I certainly went through a phase of this before I got the hang of things. It's more often a problem on the return trip if I've acquired many gifts or souvenirs. I do recall getting to fit a rollaboard in the overhead compartment on bmibaby that for only after removing several items from the bag. Including the overflowing toiletries from the ziploc.... Whenever I think I can squeeze just one more item I replay that scene in my mind to remind myself the goal is not to maximise the amount of stuff I get in the bag.

Quote often I check my rollaboard on the return trip as a result and sometimes end up having to purchase a new bag for the return too.

Recently I had a big hassle because I knew already the night before my return trip that my flight h was affected by a major delay and I was going to try to get rebooked on a different connection. So I really didn't want to have checked bags despite having acquired quite a few extra items. I did end up having to carry and wear my jacket and sweater which I try to avoid.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Carry on only for me. My last checked bag was back in the '70's when I got out of college. I'm not concerned about the lost luggage thing, it has more to do with getting off a plane and into the city where I'm headed without having to wait for the baggage to be unloaded. For years I was flying weekly both cross country and internationally and learned to pack efficiently. As a woman that meant color coordinating and multi use items.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:48 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
TLDR- it does save time to carry on. not just waiting for bags at the destination, but being able to arrive substantially later at the departure airport since you're not trying to hit the minimum checkin time for checked baggage. If you fly a lot that time adds up.

Disregard if you're the kind of traveler that arrives an hour early no matter what.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:54 pm

When you fly Spirit and Frontier mainly and are a cheapskate, you learn very quickly how to maximize "personal item" packing to avoid bag fees. Not risking losing a checked bag is an additional benefit of this.

My last trip to Las Vegas, I had my Scottevest jacket so full of old socks and ratty underwear, I looked like the Michelin Man. I did look normal on the trip home, however, as I used then pitched the aforementioned articles of clothing.

I imagine any overly curious housekeepers were very surprised when emptying the hotel room trash receptacles...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: Delta FO
Cool thread to read through. I've been carry-on only with my travels. I bring a backpack and a 20" Costco 4 wheeler on-board. Its worked great for trips up to 12 days or so, as I pack very lightweight thin pants and shirts, and do laundry in the hotel sink every 5 days or so, depending on the local climate's humidity (makes a HUGE difference when air drying). I can easily pack 7 shirts, 7 pants and 5 pairs of shorts in my roller, along with a pair of nice shoes or my sneakers and all the socks and underwear I need. I use a lightweight puffer down jacket from REI which I normally wear on board or stuff into my backpack. My backpack is crammed with all my electronics.

I'm heading out for a 7 week RTW trip this weekend and will be utilizing this strategy. I'm hoping it turns out OK
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Only carry-on. I can do a 2 week combo business and pleasure trip and still fit all my clothes etc in my 20" rollaboard. I did have to check after 9/11. Apart from all the reasons already stated for not checking (short connect, theft, convenience etc.) my main reason is it gives me the flexibility to change flights, such as take an earlier one in the case of an early arrival of a connecting flight. That's not normally possible with checked bags. I probably do this at least once per month....
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by k374
How many of you guys are using the carry on luggage ONLY philosophy advocated by Rick Steves and other world travelers? I see many seasoned travelers swearing off checking in luggage. While I see the benefits i've never actually traveled with carry on only on trips of a week or longer...few days is fine but anything more than that I carry a larger pack that needs to be checked in.

For my next 12 day trip to Europe i'm thinking of going carry on only. Infact I am thinking of making a permanent switch to carry on only for most trip unless I absolutely have to cart something big like my scuba gear on a dedicated scuba trip.
12 days? I hope you like doing laundry during your vacation.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
Cool thread to read through. I've been carry-on only with my travels. I bring a backpack and a 20" Costco 4 wheeler on-board. Its worked great for trips up to 12 days or so, as I pack very lightweight thin pants and shirts, and do laundry in the hotel sink every 5 days or so, depending on the local climate's humidity (makes a HUGE difference when air drying). I can easily pack 7 shirts, 7 pants and 5 pairs of shorts in my roller, along with a pair of nice shoes or my sneakers and all the socks and underwear I need. I use a lightweight puffer down jacket from REI which I normally wear on board or stuff into my backpack. My backpack is crammed with all my electronics.

I'm heading out for a 7 week RTW trip this weekend and will be utilizing this strategy. I'm hoping it turns out OK
Cross your fingers and hope that the airlines don't enforce their rules. Typically it's one bag and one "personal item" like a purse or briefcase. You are describing a bag that it borderline too big PLUS a backpack. That's 2 bags.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Cross your fingers and hope that the airlines don't enforce their rules. Typically it's one bag and one "personal item" like a purse or briefcase. You are describing a bag that it borderline too big PLUS a backpack. That's 2 bags.
I've never had an issue with my 20" roller or backpack anywhere in the world, if that helps. For this trip, I'm traveling business class on SkyTeam partners where I have elite plus status, so I there will be no issues whatsoever.

In retrospect, Aeroflot is the only airline that has ever given me grief about bags in the past. They like to play fast and loose with any of their rules to squeeze a few rubles from you.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
I don't even have to bold the important part of your post. You did it for me already.

The time you save when not checking bags is minor. If you are so cramped for time that 10-15 minutes is going to have an impact on your life, take an earlier flight.

Compare that with the hassle of lugging around a big bag, hoping the GA and FA don't size or weight check it, hoping you can get on the plane first so there is space, not caring how that impacts others who have carry on, lugging it down narrow aisles, trying to take it out of the bin when everyone on the plane stood up at once to leave, dragging it through the airport, then washing your clothes in the sink.

To save 10 minutes?????

I understand in some cases the concern for lost baggage. If you are going on a business trip and there is something critical for the success of that trip, you can't risk it being lost or even delayed. If that is the case and it's small, carry it on. It not, ship it via FedEx or UPS or something if you don't trust the airline.

Flying can be stressful as it is without adding the stress of turning yourself into a pack mule.
Amen! When I travel with a carry on only, it's fairly small and light. If it starts to get too big and/or heavy, I'd prefer to check a bag. In 35 years of flying I've had all of 3 instances of delayed bags (<24 hours) and none lost. My checked bag will normally only have clothes, some favorite snacks if I'll be gone awhile, maybe some misc personal care items of little real value. It wouldn't be the end of the world if my bag were lost and there would be nothing in it of interest to a thief.

Good advice on FedEx or UPS'ing items if it's critical and can't be carried on. I've done that before for work items and also for certain souvenirs that are too big/awkward to carry on but too valuable to trust in the checked bag.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by richardinmotion
I've never had an issue with my 20" roller or backpack anywhere in the world, if that helps. For this trip, I'm traveling business class on SkyTeam partners where I have elite plus status, so I there will be no issues whatsoever.
In Business Class you'll probably be fine. In Y it's only a matter of time before you do the "check-in of shame", to the relief of your fellow travellers.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:23 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by ou81two
12 days? I hope you like doing laundry during your vacation.
Am currently doing a 21 day trip in the UK and have previously spent 28 days in the US with HLO.

The secret is to have quick drying underwear so you can wash it in the evening and it's dry by the morning.

Frankly it is the only way to travel.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
I normally fly with carry-on only but it depends mostly on where I go (summer/winter) and how many days I travel
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by ft101
to the relief of your fellow travellers.
If my carry on easily fits and is legal, how can its presence cause issues with my fellow travelers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.