Reload this Page >

carry on only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

carry on only

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I stopped regularly checking bags 24 years ago, when an airline lost my bags in the midst of back-to-back job interviews, leaving me wearing the same suit for 3 days straight.

Since then, I travel with carry-on only whenever possible, regardless of the trip duration. I routinely make 3-week trips throughout Southeast Asia without checking a bag. Yes, it requires sacrifice and planning, but it's well worth the freedom of not having to worry about my bags and their contents. Another advantage is that I can easily do standby (or change flights in the case of IRROPS), because I always have all my belongings with me.

I generally pack the same things for a 3-day trip as I do for a 30-day trip; for the latter, I do hand laundry every few days. (Unlike lhgreengrd1, I find that I can pack lighter when I go to colder destinations, because I don't sweat as much and thus don't need to change clothes several times a day.)
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I started with carry on only, went to checking, and have come back to carry on only. It's just easier. And I've found I really don't need all that extra stuff.

The limiting factor is how willing I am to do laundry on the road.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:50 pm

I usually use carry on only and usually am gone no longer than a week. On the other hand, I once went the other extreme and checked in food and enough WATER to last 5 days.

Back to the other extreme, I have been on the DCA LGA shuttle and only had a briefcase, like many others
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:01 pm

I do something that might sound odd.

If there is a free checked bag, depending on carrier, I will bring a medium sized suitcase, a carryon bag and if it's business, a laptop bag.

The suitcase is empty. I will pack a box of twinkies and a couple shirts in it at most. On the way back, if the shopping was good, the forty dollar dresses for my niece and the hundred dollar jacket for my nephew go in the suitcase. If it's lost, no big deal. But if I get to my location, I then stuff my carryon bag into the suitcase, so I'm then only handling two bags (suitcase and laptop bag) and it's a heck of a lot easier to manage.

I stopped bringing three suits, all the shirts I owned and three pair of shoes for a weekend trip. If I can't get by with a seersucker blazer and a dark suit, I probably should reconsider what I'm spending on that weekend. Therefore even if the suitcase is free, it contains the minimums.

Also, I require regular liver medication. If I get separated from my pills, bad things can happen. I don't take that risk. I've never heard of an airline losing my carryon.

C.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by invisible
In North America/Europe most travelers assume that weight/size of carry-on is not a determining factor. As a result way more options exist to rely only on carry-on solution.

Whole different situation is in the rest of the world and especially when budget airlines are involved. Here in south-east asia airlines do both weight your carry-on and fit it in their sizers, which BTW is smaller than sizers I've seen in US.
Be a bit more specific about where in SE Asia. I have travelled in and out of muiltiple airports multiple times in Indonesia (Jakarta/domestic and international, Pekanbaru, Dumai, Bandung, Denpasar), Malaysia (Tioman), Singapore, Thailand (Bangkok/SVP & DMK, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai), Viet Nam (HCM), Taiwan (Taipei), Philippines (Manila, Cebu), Hong Kong, S. Korea (Seoul), Japan (NRT), Nepal (KTM). I have never seen a carry-on weighed.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I check a bag only as a total last resort, under duress, etc. I have no interest in Rick Steves but it gives me great pleasure to exit the airport quickly and not worry about loss or theft.

I flew to London this month to attend a funeral the day after arrival. No way I'm checking the bag with the dark suit in it.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Originally Posted by invisible
In North America/Europe most travelers assume that weight/size of carry-on is not a determining factor. As a result way more options exist to rely only on carry-on solution.

Whole different situation is in the rest of the world and especially when budget airlines are involved. Here in south-east asia airlines do both weight your carry-on and fit it in their sizers, which BTW is smaller than sizers I've seen in US.
Be a bit more specific about where in SE Asia. I have travelled in and out of muiltiple airports multiple times in Indonesia (Jakarta/domestic and international, Pekanbaru, Dumai, Bandung, Denpasar), Malaysia (Tioman), Singapore, Thailand (Bangkok/SVP & DMK, Chiang Mai, Hat Yai), Viet Nam (HCM), Taiwan (Taipei), Philippines (Manila, Cebu), Hong Kong, S. Korea (Seoul), Japan (NRT), Nepal (KTM). I have never seen a carry-on weighed.
Depends on the airline in some of those places. I've had carry ons weighed in BKK, TPE, MNL, SIN and sized quite frequently in HKG.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Be a bit more specific about where in SE Asia.
I have never seen a carry-on weighed.
For legacy carriers - SQ and EVA weighted my wife's hand luggage. Tiger, Jetstar weighted 100% of the time at Singapore, Malaysia and Cambodia. AirAsia did weight couple of times in Singapore and skipped at Johor and KL.

Hope this satisfies your curiosity.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I do carry on only, not because of any Rick or anything, but because it's more convenient. I am one of those who knows how to hand wash their clothes, so I don't need to pack a different shirt for every day of the week. I do, however, tend to pack socks and underwear that are more than 6 months old and crappy t shirts more than a year old, and I throw them away after a wear, because they would be thrown away if I weren't abroad anyway. This way, I not only don't have to clean my clothes very often, I can also make more room in the suitcase as the journey progresses.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:36 am

Wow!!! Congratulations to those who have never had a bag lost, stolen or damaged!!! You are like the person who buys their first lottery ticket, wins, and then can't understand what the fuss is all about!!!

The rest of us, though, live in a different world---a world where the airlines themselves admit they lose 10,000 bags a day. Unfortunately, I live in that second world and have seen my wife lose bags three times, and have other bags severely damaged. That is why I always carry on only.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I check a bag almost every single flight these days (even if I'm traveling really light):
-baggage delivery in China tends to be extremely fast, believe it or not
-going through security with next to nothing is a great feeling
-never have to so much as think about being able to find overhead bin space (not that it's really a problem in these parts)... minimize time inside of the aluminum tube
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Carry on only, if it doesn't fit it doesn't come with me.

Never had a bag lost, stolen or damaged, just don't want to wait around for the bag.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I do both - if i'm on my own I normally do carry on only but my family insists on checking. Both have their advantages:
Carry on only - no worries about bags getting lost, less concern about stuff being stolen, fast exit from the airport
Checked bags - no hauling luggage round the airport, no worry about onboard stowage
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
As a female traveler, I would like to offer a different perspective. I am short and wear my flats on the plane and yes I really do appreciate it when a tall guy offers to help me put my carry-on in the overhead for me.

However, in many cases, this turns into an invitation to chat the entire flight, especially if the helpful passenger has been drinking. (or even worse.. they'll somehow end up finding me in the lounge on my layover!) So.. if I'm not in the mood to deal with this, I'll just check my carry-on.

Sorry guys. I know that 95% of you will help out and move along but for some reason I tend to attract overly "friendly" talkative types. Checking my bags can be risky, but it does help me be a more independent traveler.

Oh and yes my briefcase has a compartment that holds a wrinkle free dress, pantyhose and ALL of my make-up. It's not as good as the suits that are in my checked bag, but will do in a pinch in case my bag gets lost or delayed.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by k374
How many of you guys are using the carry on luggage ONLY philosophy advocated by Rick Steves and other world travelers? I see many seasoned travelers swearing off checking in luggage. While I see the benefits i've never actually traveled with carry on only on trips of a week or longer...few days is fine but anything more than that I carry a larger pack that needs to be checked in.

For my next 12 day trip to Europe i'm thinking of going carry on only. Infact I am thinking of making a permanent switch to carry on only for most trip unless I absolutely have to cart something big like my scuba gear on a dedicated scuba trip.
I checked a big duffel bag on my last international flight, Dayton OH to Tokyo, to transport a bunch of bulky items my Tokyo host had ordered for delivery to my home because she couldn't get them in Japan. That stands out in my memory because I check bags so rarely, both for domestic and international travel. My default is carry-on only, but I remember that checking is an option.

Last edited by ajGoes; Feb 27, 2015 at 7:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.