Search

Flights between 2 airport that no other Flyertalker has ever done

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Pretty sure flights from gulf countries to Mashad have nothing to do with people flying there for work
You couldn't be more wrong. It's the second city of Iran with over 3 million people. There's a huge amount of business going on there.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:38 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Has anyone done Kuala Lumpur to Christchurch on Uzbekistan Airways? I remember being confused as to why it existed. Haven't flown it myself.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Has anyone done Kuala Lumpur to Christchurch on Uzbekistan Airways? I remember being confused as to why it existed. Haven't flown it myself.
Hahahahaha

Now that would be an amusing flight
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ulaanbaatar(ULN) - Bayan-Ulgii(???)
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:01 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jozdemir
Hahahahaha

Now that would be an amusing flight
When I saw it on the FIDS at KUL in 2005, I should've thought about possible MH codeshares...
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF Gold, VA Gold, IC Diamond Amb., HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
When I saw it on the FIDS at KUL in 2005, I should've thought about possible MH codeshares...
Oh wait you were being serious???
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: DL,EK
Originally Posted by stimpy
You have to remember that Flyertalk is global and it's mainly Americans who cannot easily visit Iran. Europeans and Gulf citizens go to Iran quite a lot, especially on business. Otherwise airlines like QR wouldn't have a flight to Mashad.
Living in the Czech Republic, I don't know anyone here who has been to Iran. I have been there twice (first for nearly a month, and the second visit for about 18 days) and have only run into 2 Western tourists, one Dutch and one American. Gulf citizens surely go there, but almost everyone on my QR flight was Iranian. Most of the tourists I saw were Japanese.

I too took night trains in Iran (Mashhad to Tehran and Yazd to Bandar Abbas). Both were really nice and better than some night trains I have used in Europe.

Last edited by DesertNomad; Oct 27, 2014 at 1:38 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
Living in the Czech Republic, I don't know anyone here who has been to Iran. I have been there twice (first for nearly a month, and the second visit for about 18 days) and have only run into 2 Western tourists, one Dutch and one American. Gulf citizens surely go there, but almost everyone on my QR flight was Iranian. Most of the tourists I saw were Japanese.
How can you tell someone is Iranian? I know plenty of French, Dutch and German guys who travel to multiple cities in Iran on a regular basis for business. Some of these guys look like they could be from Iran or some other nearby country, but they are not.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 3:53 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
How can you tell someone is Iranian? I know plenty of French, Dutch and German guys who travel to multiple cities in Iran on a regular basis for business. Some of these guys look like they could be from Iran or some other nearby country, but they are not.
I have American relatives who've visited Iran in the 2000s. Some Iranians thought some of them were Iranian even as they were not.

And I know some Iranians who more readily look to be non-Iranian than Iranian, as is evident when they visit Iran. Some of their kids in Swiss or Swedish schools even pass for not having any foreign ethnic heritage despite having only that.

A substantial number of passengers on Gulf flights to Iranian airports are Afghans, but absent looking at their passports or talking to them and asking direct questions, it isn't easy to know for sure who is Iranian and not.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
You couldn't be more wrong. It's the second city of Iran with over 3 million people. There's a huge amount of business going on there.
There are over 20 million pilgrims to Mashad a year.

Sorry, but that outnumbers work/business flyers into the city.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Lots of religious and other tourists head there -- primary flow -- but there are lots of people who fly there for work/business and not for tourism. Any city with a standing population as large as this one is going to get some business travelers.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never said one outnumbered another. The post I quoted said that the flights to Mashad had nothing to do with business, which is quite incorrect.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Lots of religious and other tourists head there -- primary flow -- but there are lots of people who fly there for work/business and not for tourism. Any city with a standing population as large as this one is going to get some business travelers.
No doubt, but the post this was responding to originally claimed that flights to Mashad wouldnt exist if people didnt fly there for work/business.

Anyway. Back on topic.
I see that my 8 flights I posted last year (surprisingly) still stand unchallenged
MHH-TCB, PBH-IXB, SKB-SXM, GYD-ASB, TAS-UGC, FRU-ALA, DAD-SGN and VLI-NOU
Perhaps I'll add SKG-JTR to the list.

Last edited by rankourabu; Oct 27, 2014 at 8:38 am
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
No doubt, but the post this was responding to originally claimed that flights to Mashad wouldnt exist if people didnt fly there for work/business.

Anyway. Back on topic.
I see that my 8 flights I posted last year (surprisingly) still stand unchallenged
MHH-TCB, PBH-IXB, SKB-SXM, GYD-ASB, TAS-UGC, FRU-ALA, DAD-SGN and VLI-NOU
Perhaps I'll add SKG-JTR to the list.
I'll take DAD-SGN off you - although travelling to and fro Vietnam quite a bit does help.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:24 am

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
YZV-YGB.
Airport YGB no longer exists, they built road 138 from Sept-isles to Kegaska ZKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.