Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Funniest thing you have heard from customs upon reentering your home country?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Funniest thing you have heard from customs upon reentering your home country?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
DCA-EWR-CPH. When going through the green channel, we get pulled aside and get asked where the trip originated. [Probably pulled over because of the large black duffel bag and racism.] In the examination area only "brown" and "black" people. He starts examining the bag and finds a bunch of infants diapers and basically nothing else. He is suspicious and X-rays the bag and finds nothing. Then he starts demanding to see Scandinavian ID as he is not satisfied with the explination of "don't have it" after being shown the US passports. He is given nothing other than the passports with affixed permanent residency stamps and seems in over his head. We proceed to volunteer to let him check carry-on items he had not searched and drag out the time by making work for him. Eventually his boss comes and asks him in Danish if everything is ok and where the passengers came. After being told the US, Washington, his boss says let them go. We drag out the process even more by offering more items to be inspected. When we leave he asks why we are bringing in diapers and says is it because they are cheaper in the US? Actually these diapers were far ore expensive than diapers anywhere in Scansinavia and we told him so.

He expected to be dealing with a poor non-"white" minority from a less developed country and ended up targeting rather well-off minorities from more developed countries.

Welcome to the stupidity of customs personnel operating on racist stereotypes.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
This makes no sense. US passports aren't stamped on departure.
It makes perfect sense and may to you too should you read that post again.

US CBP and its predecessor agency employees quite often have put stamps in US passports of returning/arriving US citizens -- that is what is being referred to in the post you quoted.

I have used those US entry stamps in my US passports as evidence in a variety of matters dealing with the federal government.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It makes perfect sense and may to you too should you read that post again.

US CBP and its predecessor agency employees quite often have put stamps in US passports of returning/arriving US citizens -- that is what is being referred to in the post you quoted.

I have used those US entry stamps in my US passports as evidence in a variety of matters dealing with the federal government.
No, you need to read more carefully. Look again.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by GUWonder
No -- the OP was questioned upon returning to the US about the lack of any earlier record of departure. As the US does not stamp passports on departure, this was almost certainly based on the records shown on the officer's screen.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Science Goy
No -- the OP was questioned upon returning to the US about the lack of any earlier record of departure. As the US does not stamp passports on departure, this was almost certainly based on the records shown on the officer's screen.
I haven't been across the land borders to Mexico or Canada since passports have been required. Is departure from the states noted by US CBP in those cases, or just return?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
But when you check in for an international flight, at least at the kiosks or the desk, you have to show your passport or swipe it and I assume they enter the number is some system reported to the US CBP, hence there is a record of you leaving, even if you don't go through an official CBP departure process.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
About five years ago, on a flight to Ghana, I was sitting next to a Liberian woman who told me she was flying to Ghana to bury her father.

So we get off the plane, we go up to the immigration booths, and the immigration officer at my booth says to me "I take you out?" "I take you out?" I think he wanted me to hire him as a tour guide, or perhaps go on a date with him, which is weird because we are both guys. I pretended not to understand him or mumbled "no" or something like that.

I then overheard the poor Liberian lady at the next booth over, saying to a completely different immigration officer, "No I can't go out with you, I'm just here to bury my father."

Nowadays, whenever I return to the U.S. from Southeast Asia, the CBP officers usually ask me "What were you doing in Thailand." My standard answer is "Drinking and chasing women." They love that answer. Well, the male officers do.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
I haven't been across the land borders to Mexico or Canada since passports have been required. Is departure from the states noted by US CBP in those cases, or just return?
When I drove to Canada last year, I only dealt with Canadian immigration on the way out and US on the way back. Mexico was similar several years ago, but I don't remember if that was after passports were required.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 4:46 pm

On 14JUN12, in the midst of the NBA Finals OKC Thunder vs. Miami Heat, I was clearing customs at IAD after returning from MUC and the CBP agent saw I was from Oklahoma:

CBP: "Oklahoma huh? Are you a Thunder fan?"
Me: "Absolutely! This has been such an exciting time for our city and team!"
CBP: "I'm from Miami......and I think there might be some opium in your bag...."
Me: "Thunder Up!!"
CBP: "haha welcome home"

Was a nice touch to the "fun" of clearing customs
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:34 pm
Suspended

No, you need to read more carefully. Look again.
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Actually, yes, not a "no". The comment was about a stamp not being given on arrival on that occasion.

The lack of record of departure comment from US CBP-type was not related to US stamp/no US stamp in the US passport -- that comment was about electronic file reference.

Geez, the context ought to be obvious to those reading that post in question. That quoted post makes perfect sense when familiar with CBP and predecessor agency operations.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 2, 2012 at 6:39 pm
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Not necessarily with passports, and not generally when it comes to departing the US by land. More common on entry.

Also, US citizens still do enter Canada or Mexico by land at their staffed ports of entry even if without a passport.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 2, 2012 at 6:45 pm
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Redhead
But when you check in for an international flight, at least at the kiosks or the desk, you have to show your passport or swipe it and I assume they enter the number is some system reported to the US CBP, hence there is a record of you leaving, even if you don't go through an official CBP departure process.
Yes, and the electronic file references have been part of the picture even before 2001.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:51 pm

Nothing memorable in the US, but I did have a customs agent in the UK, a sweet old lady, give me a laugh. I (in my 20s) was entering with my dad (in his 60s), and she asks my dad "Is he your son?" and he said yes. She replied with "I thought so, but every now and then I ask a man your age with a woman his age if she's his daughter, and he says 'No, that's my wife!'".
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:41 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by WHBM
A US immigration officer will have quite likely been there himself. It is a job of choice for those leaving the military, the US government apparently (you can correct me if not correct) provides expensive medical care for those who have served in the military, but if on leaving they take a US government job that also comes with that anyway, there is a considerable overall saving.

The background of the military has often, I feel, led to the attitudes shown in their new occupation.
do you have any stats on that? For one to get free healthcare after serving in the military they need to normally serve 20 years (there are some fairly rare 15 year exceptions) first and retire. Thus the majority hired into CBP would be at least 38 (20 years from the 18 enlistment age), and most in their early 40s at least. So you would have senior looking agents with junior ranks. I don't see too many of those. Now, many might have served a few years but that gives the government no cost savings what-so-ever, and many of the military members would be more travelled than the general public hires so there should be less geographic confusion, not more (of which we hear so many horror stories).

As for my odd airport stories, one was at MAN in 2005. I was a sigle guy going to attend a friend's wedding in Wales. The agent could not understand how I could be single and attend a wedding....? I told him I would probably hook-up with a brides maid (I did :-) ) which just pissed him off more. Then he went on and on about me trying to work in Britain. I finally showed him a US gov't employee ID and then he went off on my trying to cheat the British government out of tax revenue. I had no clue what he was talking about. Then he stamped my passport finally and I moved on.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Sounds like some of the border agenst are singing this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hZQzbjU3z0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.