Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Funniest thing you have heard from customs upon reentering your home country?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Funniest thing you have heard from customs upon reentering your home country?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Entering at IAH from Europe...
"Do you have any weapons of mass destruction?".
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

A number of years ago...

CBP: What was the purpose of your trip?

Me: I was in Cancun for Spring Break...

CBP: Did you have a good time?

Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by worldiswide
One more time for me .. not my home country but..

My husband and I were leaving New Zealand after I had completed the Routebourn Track hike. The officials were examining my hiking boots and asking questions about what we had done. He then mentioned that there were only one pair of hiking boots and wanted to see the other pair. He then took a look at my husband, who is not in the greatest shape, and said, I guess he didnt go hiking with you, did he?
This made me giggle!
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Nothing funny at home, but the customs agent the first time I went to Germany gave me some wise advice: "Don't drink too much beer."
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:04 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I flew back into MIA last month and they were having everyone go to the Global Entry Kiosks (don't ask me why, maybe because the joint was empty). Having never done it before, I got my ticket and went up to a CBP Officer

CBP Officer: What are you doing here?
Me: Oh well I just got back from three days in Nicaragua
CBP Officer: No, what are you doing in front of me? Unless this ticket has an X on it you don't talk to an officer
Me: Oh. Well, in that case, can I have a Passport stamp?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: AS MVP, UA Gold
Early December, my teammates and I just got back to ORD from DOH via LHR after being in Doha for a bowling tournament. We got all of our suitcases and bowling balls on a luggage cart. Had to be around 18 bowling balls and a couple suitcases. The customs agent looked over out luggage cart (as bowling bags have a unique shape and size)

Guy: "What were you doing in wherever the hell you came from?"

After a long trip, it was kind of funny getting that type of response.
Sidenote, the instant we got out of our cab at our apartment, a drooling homeless person came up and asked us for some change. That didnt take long.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
the instant we got out of our cab at our apartment, a drooling homeless person came up and asked us for some change. That didnt take long.
Know what you mean. For that reason, I make sure my wife has door-key and change before I go away.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:44 am

Last time I went through immigration at JFK the agent looked at my passport and said "Funny how you look at these old passports and say 'What was I thinking?'"

I think my passport picture looks FINE thank you.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:14 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CMK10
I flew back into MIA last month and they were having everyone go to the Global Entry Kiosks (don't ask me why, maybe because the joint was empty). Having never done it before, I got my ticket and went up to a CBP Officer

CBP Officer: What are you doing here?
Me: Oh well I just got back from three days in Nicaragua
CBP Officer: No, what are you doing in front of me? Unless this ticket has an X on it you don't talk to an officer
Me: Oh. Well, in that case, can I have a Passport stamp?
My first time using those new waste-of-paper devices was a few days ago. I got an "X," but luckily the passport officer didn't care (he did stamp the passport though without my asking for it). But then for the first time in a while, customs didn't scan my bags. What's with the "X?"
Old Jan 16, 2014, 6:27 pm

When departing DUB for the US, US customs and immigration is handled in DUB before you board the plane.

CBP agent looks at my (non-Irish, but EU) passport. He can't find a US visa, so he pulls out a piece of paper that lists all nationalities that can enter the US without a visa. He seemingly can't find my country listed.

CBP: "Are you sure you don't need a visa?"
Me: "Positive."
CBP: (looking at the list in his hand) "This is old".

He crumbles the visa-waiver list and throws it away. Then he walks to the neighboring booth and pulls out the same piece of paper there, looks at it, crumbles it and throws it away: "This is old, too".

CBP: "What is the purpose of your visit?"
Me: "Business".
CBP: "What kind of business?"
Me: "I work for Google, I am attending some business meetings".
CBP: "Google, ah yes, I can Google it".

He then does a Google search, finds the Department of State web page that lists the countries that participate in the visa waiver program, finds my home country listed, stamps my passport and hands it back to me: "Have a nice flight".
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: B6, DL, UA
Arriving back in BOS from LHR.

Agent: What was the purpose of your trip?
Me: Vacation
Agent: What were you doing there?
Me: Played in a rugby tournament, those brits kicked our asses but it was a fun time
Agent: Welcome back to the USA.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Not my home country but when I went to Ireland for the first time this year I commented that the (green ink) stamp took up half a page in my US passport. The officer said "the smaller the country the bigger the stamp!"
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:40 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Okay, like many I'm not answering the original question.

At one time I had a passport photo showing me at about 165 pounds. I entered France weighing more than 200. The lady looked at my passport, looked at me, repeated twice, and then moved her hands up to her mouth to mimic eating and said, "You eat hamburger!"
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:35 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
You eat hamburger!
Further off-topic, but France is said to be the biggest McDonalds market outside the USA.
They also have burger chains of their own like Quick .
Old Jan 17, 2014, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I am pleased to have never interacted with customs re-entering my home country. I just go through the green or blue channel and carry on my way.

As for immigration, you don't normally need to break your stride to pass it at ORK, just join the line of people walking past the Garda and holding open their EU passports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.