Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Funniest thing you have heard from customs upon reentering your home country?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Funniest thing you have heard from customs upon reentering your home country?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Uhhhh, because it said [New] MEXICO.

Yeah, I don't understand it either.
Nor do I. A U.S. passport doesn't have the holder's current address. The only places it mentions a state are (a) where the holder was born and (b) where the passport was issued. I don't think passports are issued in NM. That leaves (a). Even if the customs person thought it meant Mexico, surely this wouldn't have been the first U.S. citizen he/she had ever seen who was born somewhere else.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Efrem
Nor do I. A U.S. passport doesn't have the holder's current address. The only places it mentions a state are (a) where the holder was born and (b) where the passport was issued. I don't think passports are issued in NM. That leaves (a). Even if the customs person thought it meant Mexico, surely this wouldn't have been the first U.S. citizen he/she had ever seen who was born somewhere else.
Agreed and with that said....

Old Oct 20, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

Which would only be the case if OP was born in NM, and it anyways says that surrounded by "USA."

Weird test on the part of the agent

For a while, it only lists place of birth. Where it was issued remains "US Department of State."
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:28 pm

Could have been pre-WHTI when a passport wasn't required, and the poster presented a NM license.

Last edited by BigFlyer; Oct 20, 2015 at 1:41 pm
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Could have been pre-WHTI when a passport wasn't required, and the poster presented a NM license.
OP said "passport"
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:01 pm

I know, I was being charitable. I figured someone who is not an obsessesive Flyertalk type could be inaccurate and say passport when he meant driver's license.

I suppose I prefer that to the alternative that the story is utter nonsense and made up from the poster's imagination.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
OP said "passport"
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just checked our passports.

Mine lists place of birth as <state>, USA
Hers lists place of birth as <country>
Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I just checked our passports.

Mine lists place of birth as <state>, USA
Hers lists place of birth as <country>
Those must be Mexican passports.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1p
Not re entering my home country but. . . I have made a number of trips to Central Asia with a medical NGO, always on TK and connecting in IST. The immigration officer in IST checks my passport and visas and says:

Do you know any vamps?

Me: Vamps?

Him: You know, they suck blood.

Me: No. . . why would I?

Him: But it says here. (Pointing to the front page of my passport.)

Me: ( a bit slow after an overnight in Y). Oh, yes I was born in Pennsylvania, but that isn't anywhere near Transylvania.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 5:01 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Those must be Mexican passports.
Many US passports list a place of birth with just the country of birth listed.

US citizens born abroad -- whether natural-born US citizens or naturalized US citizens -- routinely have just the foreign country of birth listed in the US passport.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Many US passports list a place of birth with just the country of birth listed...
New ones - at least mine, issued August 2015 - give the state (but not the city) and "U.S.A." for people born in this country.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Many US passports list a place of birth with just the country of birth listed.

US citizens born abroad -- whether natural-born US citizens or naturalized US citizens -- routinely have just the foreign country of birth listed in the US passport.
Thanks Boss.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
Can I plant this on you?

CBP officer at San Isidro pedestrian crossing:

"May I ask you a favor, sir? Could I plant this on you for the dog to find?"
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:56 am

Early 2000s at the Queenstown-Lewiston border crossing in New York, after checking my passport, the border agent ask me to pull into a garage. He closed the lane and walked behind my car. After pulling in, I was asked by the agent if he could hop into the driver seat. I consented and asked if there was a problem. "Oh, no problems. You are fine. I just wanted to see what it was like to drive this thing. Can I rev the engine?" At the time, I owned a rare, limited edition vehicle and the agent was a gearhead that wanted a closer look.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WChou
Early 2000s at the Queenstown-Lewiston border crossing in New York, after checking my passport, the border agent ask me to pull into a garage. He closed the lane and walked behind my car. After pulling in, I was asked by the agent if he could hop into the driver seat. I consented and asked if there was a problem. "Oh, no problems. You are fine. I just wanted to see what it was like to drive this thing. Can I rev the engine?" At the time, I owned a rare, limited edition vehicle and the agent was a gearhead that wanted a closer look.
Not customs, but I ran into his cousin working for the TSA at BOS. At the time I had a brand-new, top-of-the-line 17" MacBook Pro going through the X-ray. He said he'd have to confiscate it for inspection. Similar story; I got it right back. Some of those folks are, at least some of the time, human.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.