Most Embarrassing travel moment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Embarrassing travel moment?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
A few days ago I was renting a car at the Dollar desk at MCO. The woman being helped by the clerk one window over did not speak any English and the Dollar clerk used the all-too-common American translation method of just speaking English louder and slower in hopes that the customer would suddenly figure it out

Anyway it turns out the woman, attracted by the big Dollar sign, was trying to exchage her currency!

It was definitely embarassing for her-- she was mortified--- fortunately I was able to translate just enough to explain that she needed to go upstairs. I felt really bad for her though.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM
I slept through my boarding process. Woke up to hear my name being called over the intercom.

Ran onto plane with curious looks all around as I was seated in the middle of the departure gate seating.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:25 am

Smoking is not only bad for your health....

I was in MIA last year, they had a fuel problem there and most flights were cancelled or delayed

My flight to CDG was delayed then cancelled. (I was already sleeping on my seat when they asked us to leave, what the gut they have to wake me up in the middle of nap !!)

It was about midnight and I was lucky enough be rebooked on a flight to LHR which was delayed. (but not "yet" cancelled)

I asked the GA if I have time to go out to smoke and he said yes as the boarding will not start before one hour (based on the single "boarding" factor he was right but not right taking into account some other factors...

I went outside of the terminal to smoke a cigarette, e-mailing my wife with my new itinerary (she was supposed to pick me up at the airport)

I went back inside the terminal but the security was closedso it was not possible to catch my new LHR flight .
It seems that security at MIA closed at midnight no matter what.
I spoke with some AA agents and they were not able to do anything for me, they were trying to help a FA to catch his flight, not sure what happen for him, but he was VERY nervous
Just the very thin chance to be on his flight make me happy that I missed my flight

I took a taxi and on the way to the hotel I e-mail again my wife indicating that I'll not come tomorrow and keep her posted on the new flights (she'll start to think that I'm playing)

I called AA and after some "interesting" discussions they rebook me MIA/ORD/CDG in Y and was finally able to upgrade to J as originally planned

Believe I'll remember for a long time the taste of this cigarette....and now I don't smoke after midnight !!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA
Asking for directions in a subway from a guy and later running into the same guy in the subway because I took the wrong train.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 4:26 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Took an OZ flight last year and the plane leaked water during takeoff. The day before it was raining in SFO and somehow water (rain water?) was pouring down the overhead bin. Everyone was buckled up so I and another victim had no place to hide. FA looked me in the eye with sympathy. Thank god the leak stopped once the plane leveled out and nothing else happen on the flight to ICN.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Figgie
My most embarrassing moment flying was trying to board a flight from ORD to MSP. It was the last flight on NWA leaving that night. I am in a wheelchair and travel with my own manual wheelchair, but need an aisle chair to get to my seat on the plane. We (my spouse and I) were at the gate in plenty of time and told the gate agent who said they would call for an aisle chair.

We sat and waited as regular wheelchair after wheelchair after wheelchair was brought to the gate. No aisle chair, only regular manual wheelchairs. The entire plane boarded as I sat waiting in my personal wheelchair. Twenty minutes and 10 regular wheelchairs later, someone finally showed up with an aisle chair so I could board the plane. I was so embarrassed that an entire plane full of people had to wait and wait and wait.
Don't be. Unless you are that idiot I saw on TV once who one day woke up and decided he didn't want his left leg anymore and proceeded to cut it off, your needing the wheelchair is not your fault and neither is the incompetence of whoever was trying to get you a suitable wheelchair. That person (or persons) should be embarrassed, not you.

Anyway, the only thing I can think of right now is when I tried to board a CO flight in AMS to EWR. These of course come with a bunch of people "interviewing" you before you board (they ask standard questions, you lie through your teeth giving standard answers; you know the drill). I was standing at the window quickly taking a photo outside and figured I'd take a bit of a short-cut to the security line rather than walking the regular way which was a lot longer. I knew about the interview people of course, but I'd forgotten at that point that they were there. Naturally they saw me trying to avoid them, questioned me about this and pulled me back into what was left of the line. That in itself was, to me anyway, somewhat embarrassing as I saw it as a bit of a rookie mistake and I really don't like making those with an audience.

To make matters worse though, at the end of that line, which fortunately was rather short as we were the last to board, was ony of my country's most well-known stand-up comedians. He also saw what I was trying to do and proceeded to immediately and, I might add, loudly make fun of me.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newballs
Took an OZ flight last year and the plane leaked water during takeoff. The day before it was raining in SFO and somehow water (rain water?) was pouring down the overhead bin. Everyone was buckled up so I and another victim had no place to hide. FA looked me in the eye with sympathy. Thank god the leak stopped once the plane leveled out and nothing else happen on the flight to ICN.
Exactly the same deal (a Quantas flight leaving Oz) but the flight attendents had the gaul to tell us (drenched folk, that we were) that it was ' just the air conditioning' and that it was 'perfectly normal'! Luckily I had a change of clothes in my carry on, or it would have been a very unpleasant 13 hour flight indeed!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was flying back from London at the weekend, bit emotional anyway, and I watched Arthur on board (I won't spoil it, but there is a sad bit!) So there I am having a quiet little cry in my seat and of course that is the precise moment when every FA and the service director decided to have a walk about (not having seen them for a good hour at this point), each asking me if I was ok (it didn't really help my case when I pointed to the screen with Russle Brand being a plonker, rather than something sappy and sentimental on screen!) They just brought me more booze!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by dcpatti
I was at a hotel in NJ (Embassy Suites Parsippany I think??) and the door on the room malfunctioned. I couldn't get it to open. I had to call the front desk and explain that I was locked in my room.
This happened to me while looking for a flat to rent in London about 13 years ago. The Estate Agent had the keys but the lock didn't have a keyhole on inside and the mechanism didn't turn the lock. We were locked in - with the keys.

About 3 or 4 years ago while on the London Undeground (Jubilee line I think), the train slowed suddenly and caught me off balance which resulted in my elbow hitting the emergency train stop with the full force of me following it. The whole train crawled at a snails pace to the next station at which point a very excited/angry/worried driver rushed into the car (I think they lock the doors on the rest of the cars) wanting to know what happened. I don't think he really bought my explanation but my American accent and the sheer absurdity of the explanation saved me. I was so embarassed I got off at the very next stop with lots of fellow passengers looking very cheesed off at me.

Today, there's some sort of cover that prevents this very thing from happening so I choose to see it as my contribution to safety on the Underground. Now, you probably couldn't pull that emergency stop lever even if you wanted to.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH, Priority Club
My most embarrassing travel moment always involves falling asleep and drooling. Just terrible when I wake up and realize my mouth is open.

My other embarrassing moment is in spite of being somewhat thin bumping into people who are hanging out in the aisle when I walk to the toilet. I always feel as if I should apologize to each and every one of them.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Not actually my embarrassing moment but I was there. A few years ago some friends and I decided to have a guys weekend in LA. We boarded an Air Canada flight from YVR-LAX. Just before we took off one of the guys in our party started getting sick with the flu. He proceeded to throw up repeatedly for about the first hour filling up a few barf bags. He was looking so awful that the FAs thought he might pass out. The in-charge FA made him wear an oxygen mask connected to a portable oxygen tank for the last hour of the flight. Once we got to LA he proceeded to lie down on the sidewalk in front of terminal 2 while we waited for our shuttle bus. By the time he was feeling better it was time to go home.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I almost forgot. I was once moved from an OpUp seat (3B to1A I think) on CO20 EWR-MAN. It was middle of summer and I was traveling in open sandals. My feet smelled bad and I was so embarassed and another pax obviously complained. I got a small deodarant aerosol out and sprayed my feet in the lavatory. To this day, I always wear shoes and socks since that incident, wash my feet thoroughly before flying and carry my 3 oz spray deodorant.
That is just wrong. (is there a puke icon?) Learn to wash your feet in the shower each day.

People with gross feet (smelling or scaly or dirty/long/yellow toe nails) need to always wear shoes.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by kevinsac
That is just wrong. (is there a puke icon?) Learn to wash your feet in the shower each day.
That was unnecessarily harsh. The OP was obviously embarrassed and has taken precautions to assure it never happens again.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:05 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by emma69
Exactly the same deal (a Quantas flight leaving Oz) ...
err, there is no "u" in "Qantas".
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Diamond, peasant elsewhere
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Originally Posted by emma69
Exactly the same deal (a Quantas flight leaving Oz) ...
err, there is no "u" in "Qantas".
How embarrassing!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.