Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by KT550
must have been F-27 then...
16. Yep, it was a Fokker F27 Friendship. Here's the sched.....

UK 724: London Stansted (STN) 3:45p - 6:40p Frankfurt (FRA)
Op: Daily except Saturdays and Sundays
Equip: F27

This was the only nonstop flight from STN to FRA at the time.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
17. What airline was operating daily nonstop service with a Lockheed L-1011 between Nassau (NAS) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL) at this time?

Well, this does sound like Delta, doesn't it? However, it was not DL and in fact the flight was not operated by a U.S. based airline nor was it flown by LTU or by another European based air carrier as well. Please guess again, sir!

Now this is indeed interesting... We're talking an L-1011 operated by an airline not from the US or Europe. Well Africa and Australia are out, as are Asia and Antarctica. That leaves South America and/or the Caribbean. Or Canada. I can't see enough Peruvian tourists wanting to go to Nassau or the U.S. to warrant daily L-1011s from AeroPeru or Faucett. Air Jamaica briefly leased an L-1011 but no... Let's go with a Canadian carrier - probably not Air Canada but a secondary operator like Air Transat.

22. If you wanted to fly from San Francisco (SFO) to Sydney (SYD) on board a McDonnell Douglas DC-10 at this time, there was only one choice. This flight operated three days a week and one stop was made en route. Identify the air carrier and the stop.

It was a couple of years later (1991) when I had the good fortune to settle into a wide, plush First Class seat aboard a Continental DC-10-30 departing Sydney for Honolulu. That 5:30 pm departure featured a nice dinner service highlighted by a huge log of fois gras served from the trolley and from which the flight attendants doled out generous slabs. Chateaubriand followed. Two days later I continued on to San Francisco aboard yet another -30. My seatmate was Jack Nicklaus Jr. So, CO SYD-HNL-SFO with a DC-10.

25. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Brisbane (BNE) to Taipei (TPE) on board a Boeing 747SP at this time, what airline would you call?

Well I should imagine it's either Qantas, China Airlines or possibly Mandarin. I don't actually know when Mandarin got its start, and I don't recall Qantas ever serving Taipei, so let's go with China Airlines. Now watch it be an airline from South America!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
17. What airline was operating daily nonstop service with a Lockheed L-1011 between Nassau (NAS) and Fort Lauderdale (FLL) at this time?

Well, this does sound like Delta, doesn't it? However, it was not DL and in fact the flight was not operated by a U.S. based airline nor was it flown by LTU or by another European based air carrier as well. Please guess again, sir!

Now this is indeed interesting... We're talking an L-1011 operated by an airline not from the US or Europe. Well Africa and Australia are out, as are Asia and Antarctica. That leaves South America and/or the Caribbean. Or Canada. I can't see enough Peruvian tourists wanting to go to Nassau or the U.S. to warrant daily L-1011s from AeroPeru or Faucett. Air Jamaica briefly leased an L-1011 but no... Let's go with a Canadian carrier - probably not Air Canada but a secondary operator like Air Transat.

22. If you wanted to fly from San Francisco (SFO) to Sydney (SYD) on board a McDonnell Douglas DC-10 at this time, there was only one choice. This flight operated three days a week and one stop was made en route. Identify the air carrier and the stop.

It was a couple of years later (1991) when I had the good fortune to settle into a wide, plush First Class seat aboard a Continental DC-10-30 departing Sydney for Honolulu. That 5:30 pm departure featured a nice dinner service highlighted by a huge log of fois gras served from the trolley and from which the flight attendants doled out generous slabs. Chateaubriand followed. Two days later I continued on to San Francisco aboard yet another -30. My seatmate was Jack Nicklaus Jr. So, CO SYD-HNL-SFO with a DC-10.

25. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Brisbane (BNE) to Taipei (TPE) on board a Boeing 747SP at this time, what airline would you call?

Well I should imagine it's either Qantas, China Airlines or possibly Mandarin. I don't actually know when Mandarin got its start, and I don't recall Qantas ever serving Taipei, so let's go with China Airlines. Now watch it be an airline from South America!
17. Ah, it was not Air Transat....nor was it another Canadian based airline. And we can rule out Air Jamaica, AeroPeru and Faucett as well.

22. Not that it makes much difference here as we are looking for the southbound routing of this flight....and that's because good old Continental is correct! CO 15 departed San Francisco on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at 7:10 pm and then arrived at Honolulu before midnight. The DC-10-30 then departed HNL at 12:01 am and arrived into Sydney at 6:40 am. And CO 15 was also operated on the same schedule on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays as well. The equipment flown by CO on the SFO-HNL-SYD route on these days was a B747.

25. Well, it was not a South American based air carrier....nor was it China Airlines. In fact, China Airlines was not flying BNE-TPE at this time, so please guess again!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

As always, please limit your response to two or three quiz items per day. Thanks!

1. In 1930, this airline was operating six round trip flights a day between Detroit and Cleveland. The air carrier in question stated it provided "the fastest, the most direct and most convenient transportation between the business sections of Cleveland and Detroit." The aircraft used for these flights could transport "six cabin passengers together with 500 pounds of baggage....." There was also something very unique about this air service. Name the airline that operated these flights and also describe what was unique about this service. And for extra special bonus points, identify the aircraft.

2. In 1960, Austrian Airlines was offering first class and well as tourist class service on board its Vickers Viscount aircraft. How many first class seats were there on Austrian's Viscounts and where was the first class cabin located on the aircraft?

3. Speaking of the Viscount, in 1961 this European-based airline was offering nonstop flights between Lourdes, France (LDE) and four destinations in Europe outside of France. The Viscount was operated on all of these flights. Identify the airline and all four destinations which were located in four different countries. And here's a hint: this airline was not based in France.

4. In 1962, what was the name for the nonstop service operated by Trans-Canada Air Lines (TCA) between Toronto (YYZ) and Vancouver (YVR)? Also name the aircraft type operated on this service.

5. It's the spring of 1968 and you are in Spokane visiting with old friends. The party turned into a poker game which has lasted all night and it's now 3:00 am. The good news is you're ahead of the game with regard to your winnings. The bad news is you now have to travel to San Francisco on short notice on business. Ah, what's this? There's a flight departing GEG at 4:55 am which will get you into SFO at 10:16 am. A total of six stops will be made en route. Book it! Identify the air carrier, the aircraft and all six stops in the order in which they will be made.

6. Also in 1968, two airlines were cooperating on the nonstop route between London Heathrow (LHR) and Luxembourg (LUX). Air carrier number one operated two different aircraft types on the LHR-LUX route while air carrier number two operated only one aircraft type. Identify both air carriers and the respective equipment each flew on the route.

7. In the spring of 1973, this airline was operating a unique nonstop service between Basel, Switzerland (BSL) and Southend Airport (SEN) near London which operated three days a week. What was unique about this service? Also name the air carrier and the equipment it operated on the route. ANSWERED

8. It's the winter ski season of 1976 and Hughes Airwest is operating eight nonstop flights every Saturday into Twin Falls (TWF) with DC-9-10 and DC-9-30 jets from six different airports. Name all six airports.

11. In 1983, this air carrier was operating nonstop service with a wide body aircraft once a week between Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea (POM) and Auckland (AKL). Identify the airline and the aircraft.

The following quiz items all have a time line of 1989:

23. If you wanted to fly from Singapore (SIN) to Sydney on board a McDonnell Douglas DC-10 at this time, there was also only one choice. This flight operated twice a week and one stop was made en route. Name the airline and the stop.

25. If you wanted to fly nonstop from Brisbane (BNE) to Taipei (TPE) on board a Boeing 747SP at this time, what airline would you call? ANSWERED
Rolling right along here, folks....and an excellent effort thus far by all concerned! :-:

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 13, 2018 at 4:29 pm Reason: "answered" updates
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:21 pm

I'll try B.W.I.A. ..
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll try B.W.I.A. ..
17. Great guess! However, please guess again, sir, as it was not Bee-Wee!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:56 am

7. In the spring of 1973, this airline was operating a unique nonstop service between Basel, Switzerland (BSL) and Southend Airport (SEN) near London which operated three days a week. What was unique about this service? Also name the air carrier and the equipment it operated on the route.

7. British Air Ferries with ATL-98 Carvair. There was space for five cars at the front.

25. I'll try Korean Air Lines for the 747SP operator.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

7. British Air Ferries with ATL-98 Carvair. There was space for five cars at the front.

25. I'll try Korean Air Lines for the 747SP operator.
7. Correct! The service between Southend Airport near London and Basel (spelled "Basle" in the BAF timetable) was apparently seasonal in nature and was operated from springtime to fall in 1973. Here are the scheds....

VF 808: Southend Airport (SEN) 11:00a - 1:30p Basel (BSL)
Op: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays only
Equip: Carvair

VF 809: Basel (BSL) 2:30p - 5:00p Southend Airport (SEN)
Op: Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays only
Equip: Carvair

British Air Ferries (BAF) made this statement in a 1973 timetable concerning the Carvair: " The versatile four-engine Carvair offers you all the comforts of modern air travel carrying between 17-65 passengers and 3-5 cars (or equivalent cargo)......The Carvair was especially designed to carry a mixed configuration of cars, passengers and cargo. The access for cars and cargo is through the nose-loading door directly into the flat uninterrupted cargo hold which is 68 feet long with a floor area of 460 square feet."

The Carvair ATL 98 was a modified Douglas C-54 or DC-4 aircraft. "ATL" stands for Aviation Traders Ltd., the company that converted the Douglas aircraft to Carvair configuration which was established by none other than Freddie Laker. I believe other Carvair operators included Aer Lingus, Ansett Australia, Eastern Provincial Airways, Channel Air Bridge and the predecessor of BAF, British United Air Ferries.

25. Ah, it was not KAL.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:19 am

25. Ah, it was not KAL.
Then my next guess will be United.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then my next guess will be United.
25. Please guess again as it was not UA....or any other U.S. based air carrier.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:30 am

25. Please guess again as it was not UA....or any other U.S. based air carrier.
Qantas must be the only option left!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Qantas must be the only option left!
25. Ah, I now see that I was mistaken in my time line concerning this quiz item as it was actually 1996 and not 1989 as originally stated. My apologies!

So with that, I'll go ahead and provide the answer: Australia Asia Airlines which initially used the two letter code "IM" and was set up by Qantas specifically to provide service between Australia and the Republic of China (a.k.a. Taiwan) in deference to the People's Republic of China. The PRC objected to national air carriers serving the ROC whose home countries had diplomatic relations with the PRC. So Qantas set up Australia Asia Airlines which operated B747SP and B767 aircraft seconded from the QF fleet with these aircraft featuring a different paint scheme. Other airlines also created subsidiaries which enabled service to the ROC including British Asia (BA), KLM Asia (KL) and Swissair Asia (SR). Australia Asia Airlines was no longer using the IM code by 1996 as it had switched to the QF code. I believe that Qantas shut down its Australia Asia operation when QF became completely privatized thus enabling it to directly serve Taipei.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 13, 2018 at 4:31 pm
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:01 pm

23. I'll guess UTA, via Noumea, New Caledonia.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
23. I'll guess UTA, via Noumea, New Caledonia.
23. An excellent guess as Union de Transports Aeriens was indeed operating a flight from Singapore to Sydney at this time.

However, UTA was operating this service with a B747-300 once a week via an intermediate stop in Jakarta (CGK).

So we are still looking for the DC-10 operator. Please guess again!
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:07 am

23. If you wanted to fly from Singapore (SIN) to Sydney on board a McDonnell Douglas DC-10 at this time, there was also only one choice. This flight operated twice a week and one stop was made en route. Name the airline and the stop.
Garuda via Jakarta

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.