Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A

....and of course I am equally excited about my First Class return travel aboard Japan Airlines. Associates will be met along the way and presumably good food and drink will be enjoyed both on the ground and in the air.
Carnac The Magnificent (as played by the late, great Johnny Carson): "Sushi, sashimi and sake extraordinaire....."

The late, great Ed McMahon (Johhny's long time sidekick on The Tonight Show): "What will Seat 2A hopefully experience on board JAL in the front cabin?"

The Tonight Show was taped at the NBC studios in Burbank (which is not very far from my hometown of Pasadena) in southern California.

So with SoCal in mind, here's a quiz item:

In the fall of 1978, Golden West Airlines was operating a hub operation at LAX. Nonstop and direct service was operated with turboprop equipment to twelve different destinations. Name them all. And for bonus points, identify the aircraft types Golden West was operating at this time. ANSWERED

And now back to my holiday concoction of egg nog and top shelf rum from Guyana on a beautiful but chilly Saturday afternoon following our first freeze of the season earlier this morning.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 12, 2016 at 5:46 pm Reason: answer update
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
In the fall of 1978, Golden West Airlines was operating a hub operation at LAX. Nonstop and direct service was operated with turboprop equipment to twelve different destinations. Name them all. And for bonus points, identify the aircraft types Golden West was operating at this time.
in the fall of 1977 I disembarked from a USAF C-9A medevac flight at Marine Corps Air Station El Toro after about 24 hours of space-available travel from Andrews AFB, got a ride with one of the crew members to Orange County (SNA), and bought a ticket for the 20-minute flight to LAX aboard a de Haviland DHC-6 Twin Otter in GW livery

so herewith the first shot at the other destinations:
  1. Bakersfield (BFL)
  2. Carlsbad (CLD)
  3. Inyokern (IYK)
  4. Lancaster (WJF)
  5. Ontario (ONT)
  6. Oxnard (OXN)
  7. Palmdale (PMD)
  8. Palm Springs (PSP)
  9. Riverside (RAL)
  10. San Diego (SAN)
  11. Santa Barbara (SBA)
by late 1978 I think the GW fleet was starting to transition from the DHT to the Shorts SH-330
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
in the fall of 1977 I disembarked from a USAF C-9A medevac flight at Marine Corps Air Station El Toro after about 24 hours of space-available travel from Andrews AFB, got a ride with one of the crew members to Orange County (SNA) (Correct), and bought a ticket for the 20-minute flight to LAX aboard a de Haviland DHC-6 Twin Otter in GW livery

so herewith the first shot at the other destinations:
  1. Bakersfield (BFL) Incorrect
  2. Carlsbad (CLD) Correct
  3. Inyokern (IYK) Correct
  4. Lancaster (WJF) Incorrect
  5. Ontario (ONT) Correct
  6. Oxnard (OXN) Correct
  7. Palmdale (PMD) Correct
  8. Palm Springs (PSP) Incorrect
  9. Riverside (RAL) Correct
  10. San Diego (SAN) Correct
  11. Santa Barbara (SBA) Correct
by late 1978 I think the GW fleet was starting to transition from the DHT to the Shorts SH-330
An excellent start with just three more destinations to go.....

Plus, your aircraft are correct as well as Golden West was operating flights with both the de Havilland Canada DHC-6 Twin Otter and the Short 330 with the DHC-7 Dash 7 not yet in the fleet.

And here's a follow on quiz item....

Most Golden West flights served the air carrier's hub at LAX during the fall of 1978. However, the airline was operating flights on three different nonstop routes where LAX was not directly served. The three destinations that received this "hub bypass" point to point service have already been correctly identified by jrl767 . Identify all three routes by their specific city pairs. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 13, 2016 at 3:48 pm Reason: GW aircraft & follow on quiz item & answer update
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:41 am

An excellent start with just three more destinations to go.....
I'll go with these to try to fill in the missing ones:

Fullerton (FUL)
Mojave (MHV)
Trona (TRH)
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st1575
I'll go with these to try to fill in the missing ones:

Fullerton (FUL) Correct
Mojave (MHV) Correct
Trona (TRH) Incorrect
Just one more to go.....

BTW, Golden West was serving Trona the year before in 1977....but not at this time in 1978.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
let's go with Edwards AFB (EDW)

and as for hub bypasses, how about these:
OXN SBA
ONT RAL
CLD SAN
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

let's go with Edwards AFB (EDW) Correct

and as for hub bypasses, how about these:
OXN SBA
ONT RAL
CLD SAN
And I can see that I need to elaborate a bit concerning my follow on quiz item.

First, I believe you were actually referring to OXR for Oxnard.

Secondly, Golden West indeed operated SBA-OXR, RAL-ONT and SAN-CLD.....but in every case these flights continued on to LAX (and in the latter case, I believe the routing was SAN-CLD-SNA-LAX).

So let's look at this in a different way: the three routes we are looking for did not serve LAX on a direct or indirect basis. They were also operated as point to point services and did not continue on to or originate at LAX.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Three non hub flight's city pairs:

SNA-SBA
SAN-SBA
SAN-OXR

Not sure of origination or destination on these routes.

Last City-Started on 11/15/78: (pulled out my Uncle's old flight map)

Edwards AFB. You were kind of Generic when you said Fall 1978.

Last edited by teddybear99; Dec 13, 2016 at 3:42 pm Reason: added the start date
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Three non hub flight's city pairs:

SNA-SBA Correct
SAN-SBA Correct
SAN-OXR Correct

Not sure of origination or destination on these routes. I believe they were all point to point routes.

Last City-Started on 11/15/78: (pulled out my Uncle's old flight map)

Edwards AFB. You were kind of Generic when you said Fall 1978.
And jrl767 beat you to the punch yesterday with regard to Edwards Air Force Base (EDW).
Old Dec 13, 2016, 4:21 pm

And jrl767 beat you to the punch yesterday with regard to Edwards Air Force Base (EDW).
Missed That
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Well gang, there's been a last minute change of plans on my impromptu expedition to Taipei and so the trip has been put off until a later date. I was really looking forward to it, too, but to be honest I could really use a bit more time to heal before undertaking a trip of this scope.

And so it is that I sit here in -22F Fairbanks on this - the seventh shortest day of the year (Sunrise: 10:48am Sunset: 2:41pm) poised and ready to post a new batch of questions.

Given how many thousands of questions have been posed here over the past five years combined with the collective knowledge (and memories) of our core participants, these schedule based questions are becoming a bit more difficult to come up with. The trick of course is to try and come up with something different and reasonably challenging to your collective memories. Hopefully with this batch I have succeeded if only a little bit. If nothing else I've entertained myself writing them up while drinking whiskey and popping small portions of a single pain pill.

As always, please limit your response to just 2-3 questions at a time so that others might also have an equal chance at participation. Good luck!

THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ARE BASED UPON SCHEDULES PUBLISHED IN A 1966 OAG

13. If you wanted to fly aboard an all economy class jet between Memphis and Little Rock, which airline would you call and what type of aircraft would you be flying upon?

14. Earlier this year (2016) I flew nonstop between Homer, Alaska and Anchorage aboard a Ravn Air DHC-8-100. Had I flown this route 50 years earlier, what airline and aircraft would I have flown upon?

15. When it comes to long, multi-stop flights from one side of the continental U.S. to the other, no airline offers any better options that Minneapolis based Northwest. After double and triple checking the schedules, Ive found what appears to be the longest milk run in Northwests offerings per the 1966 schedule Ive referenced for these questions. Departing Portland each morning at 7:00am, this flight makes a butt numbing ten enroute stops before finally arriving into Miami at 10:58pm, almost thirteen hours later. Now I realize this question has been posed before, though I believe it was in reference to the westbound departure, back when it was operated by a Lockheed Electra. Per my 1966 schedules it now operates with a 727-100. Also, the eastbound routing seems to be a bit different from that older westbound routing. Your mission is to figure out in correct order all of the stops made along the way.

16. While were on the subject of milk runs, lets explore what certainly must be the mother of all milk runs at least in 1966. Departing Phoenix each afternoon at 2:00pm, this Frontier Convair 580 made an incredible twelve stops before finally calling it a day in Great Falls at 11:55pm. Your challenge should you be up to it is to work out all of the enroute stops. In order, if you please.

17. Like many small to medium sized cities, Terre Haute, Indiana (the home of the University of Notre Dame, which is competing in some sporting event on television right now and thusly spurred on this question) was served only by propeller driven aircraft. Identify the two airlines serving HUF as well as the largest airliner flying through there in 1966.
A N S W E R E D

18. Alphabetically, what is the last city in the 1966 OAG I reference to have jet service? Additionally, identify the airline and the jet aircraft type operated through this city.

19. If in late 1966 you wanted to fly out of San Francisco aboard a DC-9-10, you could only do so aboard one airline offering a single daily nonstop to this city. Identify the airline and the city served.

20. In 1966, what was the shortest intra-state route to enjoy jet service? Additionally, identify the airline(s) and aircraft that flew it.

21. In late 1966, only two U.S. airlines served Toronto. Identify the two U.S. airlines that flew into Toronto as well as where they flew there from.
American out of LaGuardia has been correctly identified. We're still looking for the other airline and its city of origin.

22. Meanwhile, Air Canada offered nonstop flights from Toronto to four different U.S. cities. Identify those four U.S. cities.

23. Since were on the subject of Canada, identify each of the Canadian cities that were served by U.S. airlines in 1966 as well as the U.S. airlines that provided trans-border flights. Don't worry about the routes - though you're welcome to post them if you like.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 15, 2016 at 7:52 pm
Old Dec 14, 2016, 12:52 am

3. Back in February of 1988 I logged my only flight aboard a Hawaiian Air L-1011. It was not to, from or within the state of Hawaii. Rather, it was a domestic flight within the continental U.S. A thorough perusal of the relevant 1989 OAG reveals that nothing has changed on HA’s operations within the Continental U.S. Identify the sole route operated by Hawaiian Air L-1011s in the Continental U.S.

8. Following a beautiful autumn weekend in New York’s Westchester County, you arrive home to find a message on your answering machine requesting your assistance in completing a project down in Wichita, Kansas. Wichita? Oh no. It’s that project. Sigh… More than likely you’re going to have to make a connection through some big hub airport like Chicago or Dallas. Being a recent convert to the wisdom of astrology, you quickly check your horoscope to see what the stars have to say. Gasp! Sometimes in life you have to do things you just don’t want to do. Try to figure out a way not to do these things. Hmm… Resigned to your fate, you contact your travel agent the next morning to consider the options. Hey now… what’s this? There’s a single daily nonstop flight from LaGuardia to Wichita. No way! Way – replies your travel agent. It departs LGA this evening and there’s even a snack served enroute. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and the aircraft operating on this route.
3. Seattle to/from Portland

8. America West on a 737-300.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by teddybear99
3. Back in February of 1988 I logged my only flight aboard a Hawaiian Air L-1011. It was not to, from or within the state of Hawaii. Rather, it was a domestic flight within the continental U.S. A thorough perusal of the relevant 1989 OAG reveals that nothing has changed on HAs operations within the Continental U.S. Identify the sole route operated by Hawaiian Air L-1011s in the Continental U.S.

Seattle to/from Portland

Correct! The aircraft I flew upon was an ex-ANA machine seemingly still configured for Japanese domestic flights. Seating was tight and I was thankful that the flight was no more than 30 minutes in length. There was no First Class on that aircraft.

8. Following a beautiful autumn weekend in New Yorks Westchester County, you arrive home to find a message on your answering machine requesting your assistance in completing a project down in Wichita, Kansas. Wichita? Oh no. Its that project. Sigh More than likely youre going to have to make a connection through some big hub airport like Chicago or Dallas. Being a recent convert to the wisdom of astrology, you quickly check your horoscope to see what the stars have to say. Gasp! Sometimes in life you have to do things you just dont want to do. Try to figure out a way not to do these things. Hmm Resigned to your fate, you contact your travel agent the next morning to consider the options. Hey now whats this? Theres a single daily nonstop flight from LaGuardia to Wichita. No way! Way replies your travel agent. It departs LGA this evening and theres even a snack served enroute. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline and the aircraft operating on this route.

8. America West on a 737-300.

Correct! Did you fly this route back in the day, TB99?
Old Dec 14, 2016, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

9. If you want to be well fed between Anchorage and Dallas, this airline offers a single daily two stop flight that offers breakfast, lunch and dinner enroute. One of the stops is in Los Angeles. Identify the other stop, the airline and – if you like – the aircraft flown.
I'm thinking Delta with a 727-232, with the first stop being Portland (PDX)

17. Like many small to medium sized cities, Terre Haute, Indiana (the home of the University of Notre Dame, which is competing in some sporting event on television right now and thusly spurred on this question…) was served only by propeller driven aircraft. Identify the two airlines serving HUF as well as the largest airliner flying through there in 1966.
isn't Notre Dame actually in South Bend (SBN)?
I'm highly confident that one was Lake Central; perhaps Eastern for the second ... in either case the Convair (LC with a 340, EA with a 440) was larger than the DC-3 that LC may also have operated into Hulman Field

21. In late 1966, only two U.S. airlines served Toronto. Identify the two U.S. airlines that flew into Toronto as well as where they flew there from.
how about American from LaGuardia and Eastern from Buffalo

and speaking of AA, I took my first flight on a 787 yesterday (AA 2462, LAX-DFW; N812AA)

I thought the aft-facing F seat was going to be ... well, weird ... but it really wasn't a bad experience at all, and the fact that my head was closer to the window was a major plus ... the continuously variable window darkening feature was a bit disconcerting (apparently the control software for that particular zone was on the fritz)

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 14, 2016 at 1:55 pm
Old Dec 14, 2016, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

9. If you want to be well fed between Anchorage and Dallas, this airline offers a single daily two stop flight that offers breakfast, lunch and dinner enroute. One of the stops is in Los Angeles. Identify the other stop, the airline and – if you like – the aircraft flown.

I'm thinking Delta with a 727-232, with the first stop being Portland (PDX)

Delta through PDX is what I would've guessed as well, especially since Alaska wasn't yet flying to Dallas without benefit of its interchange flight with AA - which as we know didn't route through LA. However, for the purposes of this question we're looking for a different airline - one that also didn't route through Portland on its way to LAX. Please - guess again!

17. Like many small to medium sized cities, Terre Haute, Indiana (the home of the University of Notre Dame, which is competing in some sporting event on television right now and thusly spurred on this question…) was served only by propeller driven aircraft. Identify the two airlines serving HUF as well as the largest airliner flying through there in 1966.

Isn't Notre Dame actually in South Bend (SBN)?

Gasp! You're right! Sorry - blame it on John Daniels

I'm highly confident that one was Lake Central; perhaps Eastern for the second ... in either case the Convair (LC with a 340, EA with a 440) was larger than the DC-3 that LC may also have operated into Hulman Field

Your confidence in Lake Central is well placed, J. It operated DC-3s and Convair 340s into HUF. The other airline was not Eastern but the aircraft it operated was larger than the Convair. Please - have another go at completing this one!

How about American from LaGuardia and Eastern from Buffalo

American through LaGuardia is correct! American competed against Air Canada's morning DC-8 and seven Vanguard flights (out of JFK) with three 727s and a handful of BAC-111s (five). Surprisingly however, Eastern was not yet flying from Buffalo to Toronto, much less even into Buffalo at all! So - you're halfway there, J. Good luck on the rest of this answer! ^

And speaking of AA, I took my first flight on a 787 yesterday (AA 2462, LAX-DFW; N812AA)

Wow! Took ya long enough! Well welcome to the "club" and here's to many more happy Dreamliner flights.

I flew aboard N808AA last year - in coach between ORD and DFW. I thought the seats in coach were just fine - by today's standards - but I found the Business Class seats a bit hard and claustrophobic when I tried them out after the flight. Additionally the dull gray ambiance throughout the forward cabin was a bit depressing. I couldn't help but wonder how AA's interior for this aircraft might have looked had it been introduced in 1972.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 15, 2016 at 11:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.