Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:49 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Brings back bad memories TW 514 12/1/74 727-200 CMH-DCA diverted to IAD and crashed into Mount Weather on approach, all killed. I was a student at Ohio State at that time and the TV stations had a lot of coverage of this accident.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Yes, I have a very tragic memory myself....

On November 20, 1967, one of my Mom's sisters and her new husband boarded a Convair 880 operated by TWA at LAX. The destination of this TWA flight was CVG.

However, TW 128 did not make it to CVG. On final approach, it crashed short of the runway, killing 70 of the 84 souls on board. My Aunt and her husband were among the fatalities. This tragedy deeply affected our family.

My dear old Mom then told me never to fly on TWA. I honored her wish for many, many years. However, after flying over a million miles, I finally set foot on board a TWA airplane. Twice.

I am not demonstrating any disrespect toward Trans World Airlines here. By all accounts, it was a fine airline. And I enjoyed my flights in first on TWA from CVG to STL on board a DC-9-10 and from STL to LAX on board a B767-300.

These terrible accidents have happened to virtually every airline. But I also continue to believe flying is inherently safe and always look forward to my journeys by air.

However, I think about my Aunt on regular basis and wish she and her husband were still here with us......
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
The following items all have a time line of the fall of 1994.....
6) Three airlines were flying nonstop between Miami (MIA) and Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ). One carrier was Air Jamaica (JM), of course, which operated two different aircraft types on the route. Identify both aircraft types flown by JM MIA-MBJ and also name the other two airlines as well as the equipment they flew on the route.

7) Two airlines were competing between Miami (MIA) and Merida, Mexico (MID) at this time. One carrier offered daily nonstop as well as daily onestop, direct service while the other airline operated a daily onestop direct flight. Identify both carriers and the respective equipment they flew on the route.
I have a breather between the football game and the parades, so I'll make a semi-educated guess at the above two jlemon questions that I think are still unanswered:
6: I believe Air Jamaica's two aircraft were 727's and AB3s; the other two airlines were probably American and Delta, using 727's.
7: I'll go with Aeromexico (AM), with an MD80, and and Mexicana (MX) with 727's; the intermediate stop was likely Cozumel (CZM).
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by miniliq
I have a breather between the football game and the parades, so I'll make a semi-educated guess at the above two jlemon questions that I think are still unanswered:
6: I believe Air Jamaica's two aircraft were 727's and AB3s; the other two airlines were probably American and Delta, using 727's.
7: I'll go with Aeromexico (AM), with an MD80, and and Mexicana (MX) with 727's; the intermediate stop was likely Cozumel (CZM).
Excellent responses, as usual, from miniliq who is located just to the east of my location.....thus, his reference to the many Mardi Gras parades being held here in southern Louisiana. Tis the season to drink beer in the street, watch the floats roll by and maybe catch some beads!

6) Correct with regard to the Air Jamaica equipment! JM was flying A300 and B727-200 aircraft between MIA and MBJ at this time. And also correct concerning American and their 72S aircraft which were operated on several daily flights on the same route! Plus, AA was operating one MIA-MBJ roundtrip flight with an A300-600R as well. However, the third carrier was not Delta: it was actually an obscure airline by the name of the Caribbean Airline Company Ltd. (B8) flying what I believe was a B727-100 on a daily routing of MIA-MBJ-KIN-MIA.

7) Aeromexico and Mexicana are both correct! AM was operating MD-80 equipment between MID and MIA with a daily nonstop and a daily one stop via Cancun (CUN). MX was flying a daily one stop on the same route via Cozumel (CZM) with a Fokker 100 that was operated in an all Y seating configuration. All three eastbound flights originated at MEX.

Still several questions hanging around looking for answers (see post #2232), so I'll let them sit out there for awhile longer....

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 8, 2013 at 7:12 am
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
Good Sunday Morning All!

The following items all have a time line of the fall of 1994.....

1) This airline flew nonstop several times a week between Denver (DEN) and Los Cabos (SJD) in Mexico. Identify the air carrier and the equipment operated on the route. ANSWERED

2) At the same time, two airlines were operating daily nonstop flights between Phoenix (PHX) and Los Cabos (SJD). Name both carriers and the respective aircraft types they operated on the route. ANSWERED

3) Two airlines were competing on the Columbus (CMH)-Washington, DC (DCA) route at this time. Both offered nonstop flights. Identify both as well as the jet aircraft types they operated on the route. ANSWERED

4) Four airlines were offering flights from Baltimore (BWI) to New Orleans (MSY). Three of the carriers flew direct, no change of plane service while the fourth airline operated the only nonstop flights. Name all four carriers and the equipment they operated on the route.

5) This airline was operating nonstop service between Miami (MIA) and Aguadilla, Puerto Rico (BQN). Identify the carrier and the aircraft flown.

6) Three airlines were flying nonstop between Miami (MIA) and Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ). One carrier was Air Jamaica (JM), of course, which operated two different aircraft types on the route. Identify both aircraft types flown by JM MIA-MBJ and also name the other two airlines as well as the equipment they flew on the route. ANSWERED

7) Two airlines were competing between Miami (MIA) and Merida, Mexico (MID) at this time. One carrier offered daily nonstop as well as daily onestop, direct service while the other airline operated a daily onestop direct flight. Identify both carriers and the respective equipment they flew on the route. ANSWERED

8) This airline was offering the only service from New York City (LGA) to Huntsville (HSV) at this time with a onestop, direct flight. Identify the air carrier, the aircraft type and for bonus points the intermediate stop.

9) This airline was operating the only service from Los Angeles (LAX) to Kona, Hawaii (KOA) at this time with a onestop, direct flight. Name the carrier, the equipment flown on the route and for more bonus points the intermediate stop. ANSWERED

10) This airline was flying the only service between Resolute (YRB) in far northern Canada (Resolute is located about 400 miles from the North Pole) and Montreal (YUL). The flight operated twice a week, made two (2) intermediate stops and covered a distance of 2123 miles between YRB and YUL. Identify the airline, the equipment flown and for even more bonus points the two intermediate stops. ANSWERED
Time to clear the decks, so to speak, and answer these remaining items....

And hopefully this will clear the way for some additional questions!

4) The three airlines operating direct, no change of plane service from BWI to MSY were Continental, Southwest and TWA:

CO 1630: BWI-ORF-JAX-TPA-MSY-IAH
Op. daily except Sun.
Equip: B737-300

WN 380: BWI-BHM-MSY-HOU
Op. daily
Equip: B737-200

WN 359: BWI-BHM-MSY-HOU-AUS-ELP
Op. daily except Sat.

TW 539: BWI-STL-MSY
Op. daily
Equip: B727-200

The only carrier operating nonstop service from BWI to MSY at this time was USAir:

US 1191: LGA-BWI-MSY
Op. daily except Sat.

US 2163: BOS-BWI-MSY
Op. daily

5) American Airlines was the only carrier flying nonstop service between Miami (MIA) and Aguadilla (BQN), Puerto Rico at this time:

AA 1485: MSY-MIA-BQN
Op. daily

AA 1482: BQN-MIA-PHL
Op. daily

8) The carrier operating one stop, direct service from New York City to Huntsville was USAir:

US 1841: LGA-CLT-HSV
Op. daily except Sat.
Equip: Fokker 100 (configured with an F/Y cabin)

There was no direct return flight operated by any carrier from HSV to LGA at this time; service provided by US was via a connection at CLT (or AA via BNA or DL via ATL)........
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:02 pm
jyh

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I loved National's livery - its distinctive orange and gold lines and Sun King logo always suggested that the warm sunny climate of Florida would begin as soon as I boarded the airplane. If only National were still with us...

National 747-435

National 777-235
National with a 777?? /they had been sold to Pan Am many ears before intro of 777, right?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by jyh
National with a 777?? /they had been sold to Pan Am many ears before intro of 777, right?
Fakes.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Howdy gang - It's a really nice Sunday afternoon up here at latitude 65 - warm enough to go out and refill my propane tanks. And get lunch in town. And do laundry. All of which I'm free to do because I finally completed, proof read and installed photos into my latest trip report.

Thanks to jlemon for his latest set of questions. While he's enjoying a well deserved break from posing those, I'll throw out a few for your consideration...

1. Despite operating under the yoke of C.A.B. regulation, this airline introduced half-priced “Peanut-Fares” for the first time in the aviation industry. Which airline was it? Answered

2. What airline was the launch customer for the MD-83?

3. What was “Mother Grinning Bird”? Answered

4. What was Braniff’s name for its 747? Answered

5. What color would Braniff’s second 747 have been? What happened to it? Answered

6. What was the name of the lounge on Continental’s DC-10s? Answered

7. Which airport of a major U.S. city was originally named for a man who had died in an airplane crash on the land upon which that airport is built?

8. Name two U.S. airlines that had fruit as their corporate logos. These logos were prominently displayed on the aircraft tails. Answered

9. What was West Coast Airlines’ only international destination? Where did it fly there from? Answered

10. In 1955 this airline purchased two Douglas DC-4 aircraft from Capital Airlines and painted boxes around the windows to make the planes resemble the more advanced Douglas DC-6. Answered

The next 5 questions are based upon schedules in 1981

11. What airline offered the only nonstop service between Chicago and Nassau? What kind of aircraft did they use? Answered

12. This airline offered the only nonstop between Houston and Cincinnati

13. These two airlines provided the only nonstop flights between Milwaukee and Kansas City

14. There aren't too many routes where a flight aboard a CVR-580 was available aboard not one but two major (not commuter or intrastate) carriers. The airlines were Frontier and Republic. What CVR-580 operated route did these two airlines’ systems overlap? Answered

15. Name the eight airlines that flew the 380 mile route between Denver and Salt Lake City. Answered

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 15, 2013 at 2:19 pm
Old Feb 10, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Was it AA for IAH-CVG
Old Feb 10, 2013, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Was it AA for IAH-CVG
Sorry, no answering a question with a question, buckeyefanflyer

Actually, if I didn't know better I would've figured AA as well. However, it's a different airline...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:01 am

4. What was Braniff’s name for its 747?
747 Braniff Place
6. What was the name of the lounge on Continental’s DC-10s
The Polynesian Pub.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 4:44 am

Programs: BA
5. What color would Braniff’s second 747 have been? What happened to it?.
Well among other things that happened to it was that I rode in it ! On the first leg of the flight, from Manchester to Prestwick, before continuing on from there, we made a real smasher of a landing which the crew blamed on doing an autoland. And nearly 20 years afterwards I saw it again being broken up for scrap, not too far from where I am now. Unusally for a 747, it was never operated by a major airline.

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 11, 2013 at 7:47 am
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jyh
Ah, a flight of fancy, as it were.....

And NA never operated the 744, either.......
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3. What was “Mother Grinning Bird”?

9. What was West Coast Airlines’ only international destination? Where did it fly there from?

The next 5 questions are based upon schedules in 1981

11. What airline offered the only nonstop service between Chicago and Nassau? What kind of aircraft did they use?

Thanks to Seat 2A for stepping up to the plate, not to mention providing the great "what if" photos concerning good old National Airlines!

I'll try my hand at the above three questions....

3. This refers to the L-1011 aircraft operated by Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA), of course, which proved to be far too large to be economically operated in shuttle service between LAX and SFO. I believe PSA got into the L-1011 in order to counter perceived possible competition provided by United with the DC-10 on the same route.....but I do not believe that UA ever operated the DC-10 in a shuttle-type service between LAX and SFO.

BTW, besides the core route between LAX and SFO, PSA also operated the L-1011 on SAN-LAX-SFO and LAX-SFO-SMF routings.....

9. That would be Calgary (YYC) which was served nonstop from Spokane (GEG) with a Fairchild F-27 turboprop. Following the merger of West Coast with Bonanza and Pacific, Air West continued to fly GEG-YYC with an F-27. The successor to Air West, being Hughes Airwest, then stepped up the game by operating DC9s on the routes.....

BTW, in later years Cascade Airways served Calgary flying BAC One-Eleven equipment on a routing of SEA-GEG-YYC......

11. Sure sounds like Air Jamaica with a stretched Super DC-8-61. I believe these flights originated in Jamaica with a routing example being MBJ-NAS-ORD and perhaps KIN-MBJ-NAS-ORD as well.....

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 11, 2013 at 9:03 am
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
SWAGS follow...
1. Despite operating under the yoke of C.A.B. regulation, this airline introduced half-priced “Peanut-Fares” for the first time in the aviation industry. Which airline was it?
Trans-Texas/Texas International

2. What airline was the launch customer for the MD-83?
American, no wait... SAS, no wait...

3. What was “Mother Grinning Bird”?
PSA L1011

4. What was Braniff’s name for its 747?
Big Orange also Great Pumpkin

5. What color would Braniff’s second 747 have been? What happened to it?
Green, dunno

8. Name two U.S. airlines that had fruit as their corporate logos. These logos were prominently displayed on the aircraft tails.
New York Air, The Hawaii Express

9. What was West Coast Airlines’ only international destination? Where did it fly there from?
Calgary, Spokane

10. In 1955 this airline purchased two Douglas DC-4 aircraft from Capital Airlines and painted boxes around the windows to make the planes resemble the more advanced Douglas DC-6.
Icelandair

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.