FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:55 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
3. What was “Mother Grinning Bird”?

9. What was West Coast Airlines’ only international destination? Where did it fly there from?

The next 5 questions are based upon schedules in 1981

11. What airline offered the only nonstop service between Chicago and Nassau? What kind of aircraft did they use?

Thanks to Seat 2A for stepping up to the plate, not to mention providing the great "what if" photos concerning good old National Airlines!

I'll try my hand at the above three questions....

3. This refers to the L-1011 aircraft operated by Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA), of course, which proved to be far too large to be economically operated in shuttle service between LAX and SFO. I believe PSA got into the L-1011 in order to counter perceived possible competition provided by United with the DC-10 on the same route.....but I do not believe that UA ever operated the DC-10 in a shuttle-type service between LAX and SFO.

BTW, besides the core route between LAX and SFO, PSA also operated the L-1011 on SAN-LAX-SFO and LAX-SFO-SMF routings.....

9. That would be Calgary (YYC) which was served nonstop from Spokane (GEG) with a Fairchild F-27 turboprop. Following the merger of West Coast with Bonanza and Pacific, Air West continued to fly GEG-YYC with an F-27. The successor to Air West, being Hughes Airwest, then stepped up the game by operating DC9s on the routes.....

BTW, in later years Cascade Airways served Calgary flying BAC One-Eleven equipment on a routing of SEA-GEG-YYC......

11. Sure sounds like Air Jamaica with a stretched Super DC-8-61. I believe these flights originated in Jamaica with a routing example being MBJ-NAS-ORD and perhaps KIN-MBJ-NAS-ORD as well.....

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 11, 2013 at 9:03 am