FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:27 pm
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Yes, I have a very tragic memory myself....

On November 20, 1967, one of my Mom's sisters and her new husband boarded a Convair 880 operated by TWA at LAX. The destination of this TWA flight was CVG.

However, TW 128 did not make it to CVG. On final approach, it crashed short of the runway, killing 70 of the 84 souls on board. My Aunt and her husband were among the fatalities. This tragedy deeply affected our family.

My dear old Mom then told me never to fly on TWA. I honored her wish for many, many years. However, after flying over a million miles, I finally set foot on board a TWA airplane. Twice.

I am not demonstrating any disrespect toward Trans World Airlines here. By all accounts, it was a fine airline. And I enjoyed my flights in first on TWA from CVG to STL on board a DC-9-10 and from STL to LAX on board a B767-300.

These terrible accidents have happened to virtually every airline. But I also continue to believe flying is inherently safe and always look forward to my journeys by air.

However, I think about my Aunt on regular basis and wish she and her husband were still here with us......