Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jlemon
47. Southwest operating a B727-200 is correct! However, this flight did not stop in Phoenix.....and we await the tap-in.
Let's replace PHX with ELP then as this leased three-holer makes its IFR flight ("I follow roads", in this case I-10) eastward.

(Too bad WN didn't serve JAX back then. A flight routing LAX-ELP-HOU-MSY-JAX would have been an interesting transcon and probably the one that stayed closest to an Interstate highway for its entire journey.)

Which brings up a special bonus Easter trivia question: What flight made the most number of stops between endpoints of a major transcon Interstate highway? To set the rules for this question, let's define the major highways and endpoints as I-90 (SEA and BOS), I-80 (SFO and NYC), I-10 (LAX and JAX). I realize that I-10 technically starts in SMO as opposed to LAX but that's close enough: it's just a few miles or 75 minutes away by car!

And if anyone can find scheduled airline service connecting SMO and TEB, so much the better!

Last edited by Herb687; Apr 12, 2020 at 12:15 pm Reason: edit
Old Apr 12, 2020, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Herb687
Which brings up a special bonus Easter trivia question: What flight made the most number of stops between endpoints of a major transcon Interstate highway? To set the rules for this question, let's define the major highways and endpoints as I-90 (SEA and BOS), I-80 (SFO and NYC), I-10 (LAX and JAX). I realize that I-10 technically starts in SMO as opposed to LAX but that's close enough: it's just a few miles or 75 minutes away by car!
how far back are you going to go?

I found a 1957 flight on a TWA Constellation that made eight stops between SFO and LGA:
  1. Fresno (FAT) *
  2. Los Angeles (LAX)
  3. Phoenix (PHX)
  4. Albuquerque (ABQ)
  5. Amarillo (AMA)
  6. Wichita (ICT)
  7. Kansas City (MKC)
  8. Chicago Midway (MDW)
* - in almost six years I’ve been on this thread, I don’t recall a single question about TWA and Fresno ... however, that doesn’t mean one didn’t appear in the prior 2-1/2 years of activity
Old Apr 12, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by jrl767
how far back are you going to go?

I found a 1957 flight on a TWA Constellation that made eight stops between SFO and LGA:
  1. Fresno (FAT) *
  2. Los Angeles (LAX)
  3. Phoenix (PHX)
  4. Albuquerque (ABQ)
  5. Amarillo (AMA)
  6. Wichita (ICT)
  7. Kansas City (MKC)
  8. Chicago Midway (MDW)
* - in almost six years I’ve been on this thread, I don’t recall a single question about TWA and Fresno ... however, that doesn’t mean one didn’t appear in the prior 2-1/2 years of activity
I sure didn't know that TWA served Fresno. I do remember flying into Sacramento on UA on the first day that TW operated STL-SMF. Heard this exchange on Channel 9:
  • ZOA: "TWA 1234, cleared direct Squaw Valley, FLUNK Three arrival."
  • Long pause
  • TW1234: "Uh, Center, we just started flying to Sacramento and don't have plates for that arrival."

Back to the bonus question, let's set the timeframe as the jet age since that will approximately coincide with the start of the Eisenhower Interstate System. And I'm going to rule that Fresno is out since it is not on one of the major transcon Interstates. SFO/OAK are acceptable for I-80's western end.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
so to clarify ... if you’re looking for the most stops on a single flight whose route approximates the path of one of the TCON interstates, that would seem to limit the search to NW for I-90, UA or TW for I-80, and NA for I-10

in 1961 United operated a DC-7 flight pretty much along I-80 from Idlewild (IDL) to SFO with seven stops:
  1. Philadelphia (PHL)
  2. Detroit Willow Run (YIP)
  3. Chicago (ORD)
  4. Onaha (OMA)
  5. Denver (DEN)
  6. Salt Lake City (SLC)
  7. Oakland (OAK)

in 1962 TWA operated a Super-G Constellation flight IDL-DCA-ORD-DEN-LAX-OAK-SFO

Last edited by jrl767; Apr 12, 2020 at 2:00 pm
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Let's replace PHX with ELP then as this leased three-holer makes its IFR flight ("I follow roads", in this case I-10) eastward.
47. Ah, it wasn't ole El Paso....which means it must have been ole ____________......
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
This is a "who would have thunk" answer for me. Flew NW's BC product a year earlier (BOS-LGW) and it was the most miserable BC of the mid '80s of the very few that I experienced). Seating was 8 abreast and while nominally the same as CX's Marco Polo BC product, seats were more like a poor economy plus of today. Maybe NW upped its game a year later. PA had a much better BC hard product later that same year.
In later years, I recall flying with Northwest between LAX and HNL as well as between MEM and AMS with their World Business Class (WBC) service being offered on these DC-10 flights. And I must say that WBC was nothing to write home about.....
Old Apr 12, 2020, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I-10, 1962

National Airlines with a Lockheed Electra, Jacksonville (JAX) to San Diego (SAN), five stops
  1. Orlando (MCO)
  2. Tampa (TPA)
  3. New Orleans (MSY)
  4. Houston (HOU)
  5. Los Angeles (LAX)
Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so to clarify ... if you’re looking for the most stops on a single flight whose route approximates the path of one of the TCON interstates, that would seem to limit the search to NW for I-90, UA or TW for I-80, and NA for I-10

in 1961 United operated a DC-7 flight pretty much along I-80 from Idlewild (IDL) to SFO with seven stops:
  1. Philadelphia (PHL)
  2. Detroit Willow Run (YIP)
  3. Chicago (ORD)
  4. Onaha (OMA)
  5. Denver (DEN)
  6. Salt Lake City (SLC)
  7. Oakland (OAK)
That's what I was looking for. A flight connecting two transcon Interstate endpoints while staying fairly close to the route of that Interstate highway. I will take that UA DC-7 as the current leader and see if anyone can beat 7 stops!

47. Ah, it wasn't ole El Paso....which means it must have been ole ____________......
Well, since, unlike Marty Robbins, it didn't stop "out in the West Texas town of El Paso" it must have stopped in the Alamo City.
"Amarillo by morning, up from San Antone. Everything that I got is just what I got on."
That's the first song that came to mind involving SAT. I'm not suggesting AMA as an unscheduled diversion! So, LAX-SAT-HOU-MSY as the routing of this I-10 Special WN 722?

Last edited by Herb687; Apr 12, 2020 at 4:28 pm Reason: clarify
Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

National Airlines with a Lockheed Electra, Jacksonville (JAX) to San Diego (SAN), five stops
  1. Orlando (MCO)
  2. Tampa (TPA)
  3. New Orleans (MSY)
  4. Houston (HOU)
  5. Los Angeles (LAX)
Ah, but Interstate 10 does not serve Orlando, Tampa or San Diego.....
Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in his latest reply Herb687 explicitly said “staying fairly close to” the route of the Interstate ... if you’re going to be that pedantic, PHL and YIP aren’t “on” I-80 either ... and for purposes of the NA Electra, let’s just call it a day at LAX
Old Apr 12, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, since, unlike Marty Robbins, it didn't stop "out in the West Texas town of El Paso" it must have stopped in the Alamo City.
"Amarillo by morning, up from San Antone. Everything that I got is just what I got on."
That's the first song that came to mind involving SAT. I'm not suggesting AMA as an unscheduled diversion! So, LAX-SAT-HOU-MSY as the routing of this I-10 Special WN 722?
47. Yep! Here's the sched....

WN 855: Los Angeles (LAX) 7:30a - 12:10p San Antonio (SAT) 12:25p - 1:15p Houston Hobby (HOU) 1:30p - 2:30p New Orleans (MSY)
Freq: Daily
Service class: It's all the same....
Meal service: Are you kidding?
Equip: 72S
Old Apr 12, 2020, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in his latest reply Herb687 explicitly said “staying fairly close to” the route of the Interstate ... if you’re going to be that pedantic, PHL and YIP aren’t “on” I-80 either ... and for purposes of the NA Electra, let’s just call it a day at LAX
Not being pedantic at all as I-10 is nowhere near MCO, TPA or SAN.....perhaps you should look at a map.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

from what I can find, NA operated a number of Gulf Coast (aka I-10) milk runs between JAX and IAH with both Electras and 727s — stops included some or all of the following:
  • Panama City (PFN)
  • Valparaiso/Eglin AFB (VPS)
  • Mobile (MOB)
  • Gulfport/Biloxi (GPT)
  • Mobile (MOB)
  • New Orleans (MSY)
however, it doesn’t appear that any of these continued to the west coast ... it would have been possible to make the multi-stop TCON trip with one on-line connection, but not as a single flight
Old Apr 13, 2020, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please limit your response to two a day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers.

26. If you wanted to fly on board a Douglas DC-6 from Anchorage (ANC) in 1976, there was only one airline to call and only one route served nonstop by this aircraft with the flight only operating once a week. Name the air carrier and the destination. PARTIALLY ANSWERED - the air carrier was Reeve Aleutian. Still looking for the destination served nonstop from Anchorage and the flight in question actually operated a "triangle" routing of ANC - ___ - ___ - ANC and stops were not made at King Salmon or Dillingham.

The next three quiz items have a time line of 1983......

36. You are in San Francisco and are off to Chicago for a friend's wedding. There's no rush so you book a seat on board a direct flight which operates daily and makes three stops en route from SFO to Chicago-land. Name the airline, all three stops in order, the airport you will arrive into in the Chicago area and the aircraft. ANSWERED - United operating a B727-100 SFO - SAT - AUS - DFW - ORD

38. It's time to head out to Silicon Valley for a dinner meeting. And that means flying into San Jose (SJC). You are in Houston and have found a direct flight departing in the morning which will get you into SJC just before 1:00 pm which will give you plenty of time to prepare for your meeting. This flight will make three stops en route and operates daily. Name the airline, the airport you will depart from in the Houston area, all three stops in order and the aircraft. ANSWERED - Western operating a B727-200 IAH - ABQ - SLC - RNO - SJC

39. Well, you did not do very well at the blackjack tables in Las Vegas! And you have been given an excellent reminder why you normally do not gamble. So it's time to get the heck out of town and head for Philadelphia on business. You've also decided to not wait around and that means departing from LAS at 1:00 am on board a flight which operates five days a week and makes three stops en route. At least you will be served an early breakfast prior to arriving at your first stop followed by lunch prior to landing at PHL. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment. It wasn't Delta operating an L-1011 on a routing of LAS - ATL - MCO - MIA - PHL. Hint: the routing for the flight in question, which was operated with a twin engine aircraft, was quite a bit more direct.

48. Now you are in Palm Beach in 1985 where you've been inspecting a sailboat that's for sale. This catamaran is in excellent shape and you are ready to do the deal. "Ah, there's just one little catch," says the broker you've been working with. "The owner is in San Diego and you will have to meet personally with him in order to complete the transaction." So you're now on a morning flight out of West Palm Beach which will make three stops before arriving into SAN in time for an afternoon meeting with the owner of the boat. Name the airline, all three stops in order and the equipment.
ANSWERED - Pride Air operating a Boeing 727 with a routing of PBI - FLL - MSY - LAX - SAN

I truly hope everyone continues to be well!
Just five four two more to go here......

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 15, 2020 at 10:46 am Reason: answer updates
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA
Separately, here's the detailed pages of a 1957 book covering (many but not all) airliners of the era

https://www.steemrok.com/KYA/KYAcontentsnv.html
jlemon likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.