Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2020, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
32- YYC-XXX-MBJ ... for a brief instant I thought this might be a trick question, with the answer being "Kingston" ... but Great Circle Mapper shows that as over 3000 miles, clearly impossible for a 72S

even as the capital of Canada, Ottawa hasn't had an abundance of international/intercontinental service; to that end, I'll offer Winnipeg (YWG) which at 2415 miles would have to be one of the longest 72S routes on record
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
32- YYC-XXX-MBJ ... for a brief instant I thought this might be a trick question, with the answer being "Kingston" ... but Great Circle Mapper shows that as over 3000 miles, clearly impossible for a 72S

even as the capital of Canada, Ottawa hasn't had an abundance of international/intercontinental service; to that end, I'll offer Winnipeg (YWG) which at 2415 miles would have to be one of the longest 72S routes on record
32. Yep and I'll bet the Air Canada B727-200 flight crew watched their fuel state very closely when adverse winds aloft were present between Winnipeg and Montego Bay. Here's the sched.....

AC 970: Calgary (YYC) 1:55p - 4:41p Winnipeg (YWG) 5:15p - 11:05p Montego Bay (MBJ)
Freq: Saturdays only
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Lunch YYC-YWG, Dinner YWG-MBJ
Equip: 72S
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:29 am

Programs: BA
Oh no ...

What a time for my laptop to pack in. CPU failure apparently. Still under warranty but no service places running no stores open.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Herb687
The obscure UA mini-hub at MEM probably features here. I will guess this was a UA 727 operating LAX-MEM-HSV-TYS.

I believe these strange UA flights on routes like LAX/SFO - HSV/MEM predated deregulation. Does anyone know the story of why and how UA wound up with these routes? Last remnants of a mostly dismantled Capital Airlines network (which, from my recollection, hubbed at ATL)?
37. Whoops! I forgot to give credit for your guess concerning Knoxville (TYS) being the destination airport we are looking for closest to Great Smoky Mountains National Park. My apologies! Knoxville indeed had direct two stop service from Los Angeles (LAX) at this time. So we continue to look for the air carrier that was flying LAX - ___ - ___ - TYS as well as the equipment.....and we know it wasn't United operating a 727 via MEM and HSV.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
37- the only other carriers I can recall serving both LAX and TYS in 1983 would have been Republic, Eastern, and Delta ... RC was only in from MEM, which we already know wasn't one of the stops, so the jet came into TYS from Atlanta (ATL); this points away from EA as I don't recall them ever operating something like LAX-SAN-ATL ... DL with a stop at Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW) is plausible ... which makes me think the equipment is the unique aspect of this answer, and since the DC-8-61/71 was more of a fixture on DFW-SAN/LAS/PHX, we just might have found the L-1011 on this trip
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
37- the only other carriers I can recall serving both LAX and TYS in 1983 would have been Republic, Eastern, and Delta ... RC was only in from MEM, which we already know wasn't one of the stops, so the jet came into TYS from Atlanta (ATL); this points away from EA as I don't recall them ever operating something like LAX-SAN-ATL ... DL with a stop at Dallas/Ft Worth (DFW) is plausible ... which makes me think the equipment is the unique aspect of this answer, and since the DC-8-61/71 was more of a fixture on DFW-SAN/LAS/PHX, we just might have found the L-1011 on this trip
37. Delta with a TriStar is correct! Here's the sched....

DL 1140: Los Angeles (LAX) 10:00a - 2:42p Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 3:40p - 6:31p Atlanta (ATL) 7:31p - 8:15p Knoxville (TYS)
Freq: Daily
Meal services: Lunch LAX-DFW, Snack DFW-ATL
Equip: L-1011

This was one of two daily L-1011 flights operated by Delta at this time into Knoxville. The other TriStar flight operated Orlando - Atlanta - Knoxville.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 9, 2020 at 1:24 pm
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
30. You are in New York City in 1979 and are off to Merida, Mexico. You've found a direct, one stop flight that operates five days a week. Identify the airline, the airport you will depart from in the New York area, the stop and the equipment. It wasn't United, this flight did not depart from JFK, the stop was not made at CUN or CZM and the equipment wasn't a DC8 or Super DC8

Hmm... let's go with Eastern Airlines departing LaGuardia and stopping in... I want to say Atlanta but I don't recall any service between Atlanta and Merida back then, so let's go with the Crescent City - good old New Orleans. Equipment would be a ... 727-100

49. Identify the air carrier that ran this print ad in 1985:

ENJOY THE BUSINESS CLASS SERVICE RATED BEST TO LONDON.....FOR UP TO $1100 PER ROUND TRIP LESS THAN THE ALSO-RANS.

Referring to the competition (which included such long time stalwarts as Pan Am, TWA and BA) as "also-rans" sounds just brash enough to have come from Richard Branson. As such, let's go with Virgin Atlantic.

It's worth noting that airlines first started trying to offer slightly better seating for their international full fare economy class passengers back in the late 1970s. This generally meant a regular economy class seat located towards the front of the cabin. I believe Qantas launched the world's first branded Business Class back in the early 1980s and if I remember correctly, it included larger more spacious seating. Across the Atlantic, most international Business Classes were still fairly basic with minimal amenities compared to today's offerings. For example, KLM's Business Class offered regular economy class seating but with a promise to keep the seat beside you open. In 1982, fresh off having flown aboard the inaugural revenue flight of Boeing's 767-200 (08SEP82 UA ORD-DEN N606UA) I flew Business Class on Continental from LAX to SYD (stops in HNL and NAN). It was basically the same as economy. Same seats, same meal. We might've gotten free drinks. I don't remember. I'd brought mushrooms along

By the way, from the get-go Virgin's Business Class offering was heads and tails above what anybody else was offering - more like a slightly downgraded First Class with excellent meals, large First Class style recliners and even a nice lounge upstairs on its 747s.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 9, 2020 at 1:06 pm
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
30. You are in New York City in 1979 and are off to Merida, Mexico. You've found a direct, one stop flight that operates five days a week. Identify the airline, the airport you will depart from in the New York area, the stop and the equipment. It wasn't United, this flight did not depart from JFK, the stop was not made at CUN or CZM and the equipment wasn't a DC8 or Super DC8

Hmm... let's go with Eastern Airlines departing LaGuardia and stopping in... I want to say Atlanta but I don't recall any service between Atlanta and Merida back then, so let's go with the Crescent City - good old New Orleans. Equipment would be a ... 727-100

ENJOY THE BUSINESS CLASS SERVICE RATED BEST TO LONDON.....FOR UP TO $1100 PER ROUND TRIP LESS THAN THE ALSO-RANS.

Referring to the competition (which included such long time stalwarts as Pan Am, TWA and BA) as "also-rans" sounds just brash enough to have come from Richard Branson. As such, let's go with Virgin Atlantic.
30. Eastern is correct! Here's the sched....

EA 911: New York LaGuardia (LGA) 8:30a - 10:39a New Orleans (MSY) 11:35a 1:00p Merida (MID)
Freq: Daily except Saturdays and Sundays
Meal service: Breakfast LGA-MSY, Lunch MSY-MID
Equip: 727

49. A great guess! But it wasn't Mr. Branson and Virgin Atlantic. Please guess again, sir!
Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon

Hmm... Well, it just doesn't seem like any of the majors to offer a Business Class for $1100 less than the competition. Over the years, the JFK - London route has seen some secondary players such as Air India, B-Cal, Kuwait Airways and El Al. Of these, I could see British Caledonian and possibly Air India being lauded for the quality of their Business Class products, if not price. I'm going to start by giving the nod to British Caledonian. From George Banks' book on airline catering, it appears they had an excellent Business Class product.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Hmm... Well, it just doesn't seem like any of the majors to offer a Business Class for $1100 less than the competition. Over the years, the JFK - London route has seen some secondary players such as Air India, B-Cal, Kuwait Airways and El Al. Of these, I could see British Caledonian and possibly Air India being lauded for the quality of their Business Class products, if not price. I'm going to start by giving the nod to British Caledonian. From George Banks' book on airline catering, it appears they had an excellent Business Class product.
49. BCal is another great guess! But no! So here's a hint.....the air carrier we are looking for was based in the U.S.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
49. BCal is another great guess! But no! So here's a hint.....the air carrier we are looking for was based in the U.S.
Maybe something truly bizarre and unexpected such as People Express?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
That's my guess, as well.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
49. Yet another great guess! But nope!
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
49. Yet another great guess! But nope!
I will guess Tower Air though they could have been prosecuted under false advertising and deceptive trade practices statutes for claiming they were better than anyone in any class of service in any way.

a time line of 1985.....
42. Time to head back to Honolulu! You are in San Diego and have found a very convenient flight which departs SAN during the late morning and arrives into HNL in time for dinner with friends. This service operates daily and makes one stop en route. Name the airline, the stop and the equipment.
AA DC-10 with a stop at LAX?

Last edited by Herb687; Apr 10, 2020 at 11:36 am Reason: new guess
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Herb687
I will guess Tower Air though they could have been prosecuted under false advertising and deceptive trade practices statutes for claiming they were better than anyone in any class of service in any way.
49. Nope, it wasn't Tower Air. But you are absolutely correct concerning their (lack of) on board service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.