Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
And QF's first B707 still exists in Qantas livery at https://qfom.com.au/about/qantas-fou...ft-collection/
Actor John Travolta also owned and flew a turbofan-powered Boeing 707-138B in Qantas "V-Jet" livery for a number of years......here's a photo of N707JT:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Qant...qycAqLzpQYeW3U

I believe the actor donated this aircraft to the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS), an aviation museum in Australia.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 22, 2020 at 11:40 am Reason: clarification & additional info
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jlemon

21. How many new Vanguard aircraft were produced by Vickers? ANSWERED
21. In my earlier response to a guess by Toshbaf, I stated that 43 Vanguard aircraft were produced by Vickers. Well, it appears I did not include the prototype Vanguard in that number as this particular aircraft wasn't sold by Vickers. The new Vanguard aircraft that saw revenue service with British European and Trans-Canada/Air Canada included 20 aircraft with BEA and 23 aircraft with TCA/AC. So the actual number is 44 Vanguards and I have corrected my initial response to this quiz question.

And many thanks once again to the gentleman who sent me spread sheets concerning the Vanguard as well as other aircraft types!

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 22, 2020 at 2:22 pm Reason: And many thanks....
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
Bonus Question: Name another airline that had a 707 uniquely built for it. What differentiated this aircraft from other 707s of the day?

I want to say this was Braniff, who ordered five 707-227s with higher-thrust JT4A-3 engines, intending to operate them from high-altitude South American airports.

Then go ahead and say it, J, because you are 100% correct on all counts. Thanks also for the additional detail. I was unaware of the connection between the well publicized crash of Braniff's first 707 and the modifications to the height of the vertical stabilizer.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
12. What was the name given by Pan Am to its first Boeing 707-121?

Shot in the dark here, but it makes sense given the first U.S. built jet. "Clipper America"

10. You are in New Orleans in 1966. You need to attend a business meeting in Fort Smith (FSM) and you've found a daily flight that makes one intermediate stop en route. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft type.

Ft. Smith is Braniff country, as is New Orleans. Let's go with Braniff operating one of its new BAC-111 "Fastback" jets via Little Rock
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Galaxy Lockheed and Ford

Caravan Cessna and Dodge - probably the only example where I've flown and ridden in both
Mwenenzi and KT550 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
the first of the five crashed (Oct 1959) ~50 miles northeast of Seattle during a customer demonstration flight, killing four of the eight on board; the investigation revealed that the pilots exceeded bank angle limits during recovery from a Dutch roll test condition, and three of the four engines separated from the aircraft due to structural overload

as a result of the accident, Boeing added a large ventral fin and increased the height of the vertical stabilizer for greater lateral-directional control
I guess that lesson was applied to the 747SP, and McD-D reduced the aft control surfaces of the DC-10 on the MD-11 due to the extra length.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
12. What was the name given by Pan Am to its first Boeing 707-121?

Shot in the dark here, but it makes sense given the first U.S. built jet. "Clipper America"

10. You are in New Orleans in 1966. You need to attend a business meeting in Fort Smith (FSM) and you've found a daily flight that makes one intermediate stop en route. Name the airline, the stop and the aircraft type.

Ft. Smith is Braniff country, as is New Orleans. Let's go with Braniff operating one of its new BAC-111 "Fastback" jets via Little Rock
12. Correct! And it appears that several Pan Am 707 aircraft used the "Clipper America" name during initial proving flights and promotional tours undertaken by the airline.

10. Well, you're all good here except for the stop. Please guess again, sir!
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
(1968) 17. You need to fly from Austin (AUS) to Lubbock (LBB) for a meeting and have found a flight which makes two stops en route. Name the airline, both stops and the equipment.

17- let’s try Braniff, via Dallas (DAL) and Lubbock (LBB) on a 727-27
19. What was the total number of Convair 880 aircraft operated by Northeast Airlines in its fleet between 1960 and 1968?
19- pretty sure the answer is 10 ... I think they initially leased half a dozen, and then acquired another four a few years later
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

17- let’s try Braniff, via Dallas (DAL) and Lubbock (LBB) on a 727-27

19- pretty sure the answer is 10 ... I think they initially leased half a dozen, and then acquired another four a few years later

17. Braniff International it is and the first stop was indeed Dallas Love (DAL)......but not with a 727 and not via Lubbock.

Correct! Northeast operated a total of ten Convair 880 aircraft between December 1960 and January 1968. And I believe that at one point NE also operated one Convair 990 which was reportedly leased from American Airlines.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
17- well, in 1968 there would be two other choices of aircraft for this itinerary ... since there’s another question extant about the BAC One-Eleven, I’ll offer this route involved an Electra; as for the enroute stop, how about Oklahoma City (OKC)

19- I was about to pose a related bonus question, but then I remembered that I was several years late to the game:
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
65. What two U.S. airlines operated both the Convair 880 and 990?
yep, from the Quiz that started it all
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

17- well, in 1968 there would be two other choices of aircraft for this itinerary ... since there’s another question extant about the BAC One-Eleven, I’ll offer this route involved an Electra; as for the enroute stop, how about Oklahoma City (OKC)

19- I was about to pose a related bonus question, but then I remembered that I was several years late to the game:

yep, from the Quiz that started it all
17. Lockheed L-188 Electra: Nope! Oklahoma City (OKC): Nope!

19. Ah, yes.....and as Mark Twain might say, that question was posed just 65 million years ago last Thursday by the international man of airline adventure (and seasonal NPS bus driver)......
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

17- it’s now a tap-in on the aircraft (BAC 1-11), but the intermediate stop is far less evident ... while geography gives me two candidates, my memory (which we well know isn’t anywhere near 100% accurate ) associates each with a different airline

flipping the mental coin ... tails ... Midland/Odessa (MAF)
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

19. Ah, yes.....and as Mark Twain might say, that question was posed just 65 million years ago last Thursday by the international man of airline adventure (and seasonal NPS bus driver)......
Man o man! Can you believe that it's been 8.5 years since that first post over 18000 posts ago? During that time we've had over 1.3 million views! Pretty awesome.

Special thanks to you, jlemon, for your unrelenting bon homie and weather updates. Curmudgeon that I am, I'd likely have run everybody off years ago!

Here's to the next 8.5 years and beyond
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

17- it’s now a tap-in on the aircraft (BAC 1-11), but the intermediate stop is far less evident ... while geography gives me two candidates, my memory (which we well know isn’t anywhere near 100% accurate ) associates each with a different airline

flipping the mental coin ... tails ... Midland/Odessa (MAF)
17. I got a bit confused earlier with regard to your guess and my subsequent response....which is a state of mind that is not hard for me to arrive at these days what with my advanced age (and OBTW, an intensifying health crisis as well - and it appears our Governor will require that virtually all residents of the state of Louisiana begin staying home effective tomorrow afternoon).....

You had initially guessed the second stop was Lubbock.....and, of course, Lubbock is actually our destination.

So with that, yes, the equipment was a BAC One-Eleven.....but, no, the second stop wasn't Midland/Odessa.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

17- I was apparently conflating this question with the next one (that originates Amarillo after a drive from LBB) ... speaking of “memory less than 100%”

but that said, my second guess is SPS — Sheppard Air Force Base, co-located with Wichita Falls Municipal Airport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.