Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by erik123
It might have to do with his previou$ po$t?
Oh ye$, I mi$$ed that one
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by ajax
Yes - I know a Greek/Spanish couple and a British/Finnish couple, both of which had a child in the US. These two children are both automatically triple-nationals at birth. I imagine this is far from rare.
Indeed, my children could claim 4 citizenship's (born in US, to a French mother and British father who also has Irish citizenship). Their births were registered at the relevant consulates but they only have US PP's.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I find the best part of having multiple passports is that once I pretty much filled my British passport, I just moved on to my Canadian one. That one is pretty much full now too, but it expires in 11 months anyways so it doesn't really matter.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I hold triple citizenship.
1 - place of birth
2 - thanks to my parents' citizenship / place of birth (an EU country- very handy!)
3 - US naturalization.

My wife says that she was intrigued when I pulled out 3 passports early on when we were dating - I guess it seemed a bit mysterious...
Old Oct 20, 2011, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know a hell of a lot of Argentinians, Brazilians and South Africans with 2, 3 or 4, its kind of normal, I have a friend who keeps five going at once and could get a sixth, but it is not a country he cares to have a passport from. I have one, but based on current laws, I could easily gather up 6 in a very short time and a 7th if I wrote the appropriate appeal.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by pinworm
Citizenship is about the passport you hold, not about some conceptual pep-squad or loss of personal agency to the state.
Can't say I agree entirely with you on this. It's far more than just a passport to me and many other people around the world. I'm proud of both of my citizenships and of all of the opportunities each affords me. I don't worship either country but I think I have the best two possible.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanR
How many countries allow you to have the citizenship of grandparents - many limit it to the parents especially when the child is born abroad
You wouldn't have to rely on grandparents, the grandparent gives their dual nationalities to their children, who can pass it to their children - no need to skip the generation in the example I was giving.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by FlyingJoy
I was born in Canada, so I have that citizenship.
Hong Kong, from my parents.
Also an Australian citizen, as I've lived here for many years.
Correction: You have the right to HK residency if your parent apply for it on your behalf. You will get a HKID showing you as a PR.
After that, to be a legal HK citizen you need to apply for a HK SAR passport.
I would seek knowledgeable legal advise before this pursuit.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by emma69
who can pass it to their children - no need to skip the generation in the example I was giving.
Not all countries permit people who gained citizenship by descent to give their citizenship to their children. The UK doesn't allow this and even Canada, who practically give away their passports doesn't allow it.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, Hyatt Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat/Lifetime Plat, Amex Plat / PRG, DClub
Originally Posted by bostonbali
I hold triple citizenship.
1 - place of birth
2 - thanks to my parents' citizenship / place of birth (an EU country- very handy!)
3 - US naturalization.
I'm in the same boat, except with #2 it's not EU and no where near as handy. My kids all have three passports as well. Helps a ton when dealing with visas and the like!
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by mapletree
I'm in the same boat, except with #2 it's not EU and no where near as handy. My kids all have three passports as well. Helps a ton when dealing with visas and the like!
But some EU passports carry extra unwanted baggage with them, too. I don't always use my UK passport because there is a small, but extant possibility that it could get me into trouble in some situations. American passport holders have it even worse, depending on where they go. That is when something like a Canadian or Irish passport comes in handy. ^
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajax
Can't say I agree entirely with you on this. It's far more than just a passport to me and many other people around the world. I'm proud of both of my citizenships and of all of the opportunities each affords me. I don't worship either country but I think I have the best two possible.
I like to think of Shaw's quip: "Patriotism is the belief that your country is the best in the world because you happened to be born in it."
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:53 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Originally Posted by britenbsas
May I ask the reasons for you wanting to renounce your US citizenship? Presumably if you then go back to visit you will have to pay for an ESTA and enjoy longer lines at US immigration on arrival?
you may ask all you like...
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:55 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Originally Posted by pinworm
I like to think of Shaw's quip: "Patriotism is the false and misguided belief that your country is the best in the world because you happened to be born in it."
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:12 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by bostonbali
My wife says that she was intrigued when I pulled out 3 passports early on when we were dating - I guess it seemed a bit mysterious...
I might have to give it a try sometime. Was she IDing you at the time?

Incidentally, don't try this with Cuban immigration police. They find it intriguing, but in a Bad way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.