Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Santander
If you are born abroad and settle in the country of your citizenship there should be a way to classify your citizenship as "other than by descent" through registration some how. I am officially a UK citizen by descent (born abroad) but I think I can register as a citizen other than by descent if I go live in the UK again for a certain period of time. I don't have kids so it makes no difference to me so I haven't really done the research into this. They will know how you got your citizenship because of a) Your place of birth, clearly marked on your passport and b) Where your birth was registered, if it was registered at an overseas consulate you obviously obtained citizenship by descent.

If two parents both have non-transmissible foreign citizenship by descent and their child is born in a lex soli country other than the one of their citizenship ("easy countries", e.g. USA, Canada, etc.) the child should be solely a citizen of the country of their birth. If the child is born in a jus sanguinis country but the parents are legally resident in the country, most countries have a law which allows the child to become a citizen of that country regardless of their parents' nationality. Furthermore, almost every country has a law that allows children born in that country who would be stateless to become citizens of that country as a sort of a catch-all. If there are more complicated circumstances which the local laws do not recognise (e.g. parents are tourists in a country with very stringent nationality law), the parents would most likely have to appeal to their country's consulate for assistance. The laws limiting transfer of citizenship by descent are to prevent mass immigration of "returning citizens" and abuse of the system, not to ruin the lives of peoples' children. Every country frowns on statelessness, there will be some solution.
Thanks. It all sounds very complex! I know, re the bolded part, that this isn't always a reliable indicator, given the vast number (perhaps less these days) of British military and diplomatic service persons living overseas. Had I been born where my folks were stationed (as it was, a rapid trip Britside happened!) I would have been born in a local hospital in that country (as opposed to e.g. a military hospital) and birth registered overseas. Given the employment, had it happened today I would be a British citizen other than by descent - but dragging up those records can be hard. Had someone I worked with whose parents were born to diplomatic service staff overseas, and had never had issues themselves getting passports etc (guess things were simpler then!), they became diplomatic staff themselves, had son somewhere in SE Asia (I forget exactly where), and he had huge trouble proving he was actually entitled to British citizenship when it came to military service. Not always easy to get grandparent / parent service records.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sjoerd, any such numbers are bound to be flawed as there is no way that while the authorities might be able to make a fair statement of those that have two, it is almost impossible for them to know how many people have 3 or more.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
In fact, the countries with most visa-free travel are Denmark, Finland and Sweden. https://www.henleyglobal.com/citizen...-restrictions/
From that page:

1 Denmark 173
1 Sweden 173
1 Finland 173
2 Germany 172
3 United Kingdom 171
3 Netherlands 171
5 United States 169
12 Malaysia 158
23 Israel 142
25 Brazil 140

Pretty crowded at the top there. And this quite obviously includes visa-on-arrival countries. OK, which country/territory can be visited visa-free form Denmark that cannot be from Germany? And which is the one that the UK misses out on compared to Germany? The US count is lower because of Cuba and N-Korea? Malaysia seems like the biggest surprise up there.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:28 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Most of the kids in my expat HS have multiple passports. I think the most common was 3. I think only a small handful had only 1 passport. Many of them had rights to more, but after a while, it was more of a liability (tax and otherwise).

For example, there's the birth country passport, one from each grandparent through mum, then the same through dad. Of course if both parents were expats too, then there's also their birth country passports....

Generally, if you haven't served in any military, there's no problem with having multiple passports.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcl
Most of the kids in my expat HS have multiple passports. I think the most common was 3. I think only a small handful had only 1 passport. Many of them had rights to more, but after a while, it was more of a liability (tax and otherwise).

For example, there's the birth country passport, one from each grandparent through mum, then the same through dad. Of course if both parents were expats too, then there's also their birth country passports....

Generally, if you haven't served in any military, there's no problem with having multiple passports.
Why is being ex military an issue when it comes to multiple passports?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My wife has three. Argentine, Spanish and UK. Apart from saving a few quid on Visas it does save a lot of time at the airport on arrival.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
My wife has three. Argentine, Spanish and UK. Apart from saving a few quid on Visas it does save a lot of time at the airport on arrival.
Depends on where you arrive. A few weeks ago in MEX: KL, AF and LH arrived at about the same time. 1.5 hr wait for foreigners; Mexicans were long gone by then. On the other extreme are German airports. They do have lines for EU and non-EU citizens, but nobody gives damn, and nobody ever gets sent to the "correct" line.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
In fact, the countries with most visa-free travel are Denmark, Finland and Sweden. https://www.henleyglobal.com/citizen...-restrictions/
Well, of course the Economist would claim that British citizens were the most mobile. I think they're still having a hard time with this whole post-empire thing, myself.

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Pretty crowded at the top there. And this quite obviously includes visa-on-arrival countries. OK, which country/territory can be visited visa-free form Denmark that cannot be from Germany? And which is the one that the UK misses out on compared to Germany? The US count is lower because of Cuba and N-Korea?
Yes - at that point they're all practically the same. So Danes can visit Timor L'Este (or somewhere equally random) without a visa prior to arrival and Britons need one? Meh. I'm hardly seething with jealousy.

Malaysia seems like the biggest surprise up there.
Yes - Malaysian citizens don't need Schengen visas prior to arrival. That's 27 countries right there.

Originally Posted by tcl
Assuming, of course, that those grandparents had different citizenships, all of which could be relayed to their grandchildren... it's not as common as you might think.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
On the other extreme are German airports. They do have lines for EU and non-EU citizens, but nobody gives damn, and nobody ever gets sent to the "correct" line.
Well, actually it's "EU passports" and "All passports". More than once I have jumped into the all-passports queue as it was far shorter than the EU queue. I figured if anyone got arsey I could just show them my US passport, but they didn't care. As an EU citizen, they can't actually legally keep me out of Germany anyway.

FWIW, in the UK, if you're a non-EEA citizen, you can still show up at the EEA counter, they cannot actually send you away. They might not be happy about it and might ask you to wait until all EEA citizens have been processed, but they cannot make you go to another queue.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajax
Yes - at that point they're all practically the same. So Danes can visit Timor L'Este (or somewhere equally random) without a visa prior to arrival and Britons need one?
For Timor L'Este (why is the country called East-East?) I would have expected Portuguese to be the preferred nationality.

But otherwise your point is well taken.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:04 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by emma69
There are a few issues with military service such as mandatory service that comes with a certain passport (Taiwan, Austria, Israel etc) but generally to serve in one military (i.e. to take the oath of service) is to basically choose one team and one team only. Some countries require a formal relinquishment of other citizenship in order to serve and will ignore the alternate citizenship rights of anyone who served in their own army. For example, if you served in country A, country A will forever view you as their own citizen regardless of any other citizenship you may hold, until the time you formally request (if possible) to relinquish citizenship of country A.

Also, if one serves in one army, it is harder for them to obtain other citizenships unless the citizenship of the country served is formally relinquished.

To further complicate the issue, some countries have a mandatory draft, and many countries offer citizenship in exchange for service. So it's more of a security issue. They don't want you to play for both sides if country A & country B were to engage in war with each other. You could turn around and shoot your own platoon and then do the same with the other side.

There are also special exceptions with Commonwealth countries and others with special immigration policies between certain countries.

Of course a lot of this has to do with whether one is truthful on the forms everyone fills out and whether they get caught in perjury etc....
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As an EU citizen, they can't actually legally keep me out of Germany anyway.
I think they can. The travel bans for hooli..., uh, unruly football fans haven't been challenged in the European Court of Justice yet AFAIK. Just one example. I'm sure there are others. You can also be expelled from an EU country even though you are the citizen of another EU country.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The UK has a history of trying to keep some EU-Schengen country nationals out. Sports hooligans included, but not just that. Some EU-Schengen countries have a history of trying to keep some EU-UK nationals out. Sports hooligans included, but not just that.

What will be interesting to see is what occurs if the ECJ ends up taking some such cases where there is a family reunification grounds that can be claimed by someone blocked out on grounds of hooliganism or something like that (perhaps even "unwelcome" speech/expression).

Originally Posted by emma69
Military service, voluntary or perhaps otherwise, may be considered grounds in some countries to be an act of surrendering citizenship or of even being a traitor, depending on the circumstances. The reasons for this stance by some countries varies, but one of the reasons included is that some countries don't want their citizens waging war against another country without its citizens being authorized to do so by the relevant country/countries since it could create some headaches for the government(s).
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:16 pm

A college buddy of mine had 4 or 5: Swiss, Canadian, US, Moroccan, and perhaps Israeli too, I can't recall for sure. I do know that he had to do time in the Swiss army before he started college, apparently all Swiss people have to do it. He considered himself Swiss though.

I myself have 2 passports, and many people that I know have at least 2 or 3. It's very common for people of diverse ethnic backgrounds. Go to any college and I'm sure a big chunk of international students will have multiple passports.

The main benefit is ability to live and travel in various locals, without the headache of applying for visas, work permits, and resident permits. You don't really get any "free" governments services unless you pay tax in the respective country.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Well, of course the Economist would claim that British citizens were the most mobile. I think they're still having a hard time with this whole post-empire thing, myself.
The Economist has a history of also claiming that British citizens were not the most mobile. The whole online archive is nice to have, and a print subscription comes with access to it -- costing less than the number of frequent flyer miles I earn on a cheap trip from DCA/IAD to MSP and back.

Assuming, of course, that those grandparents had different citizenships, all of which could be relayed to their grandchildren... it's not as common as you might think.
Indeed it's not common. The relaying of citizenship via grandparents alone is highly limited indeed, and it's limited by a variety of factors even for those countries that do have some kind of allowance for grandparent relaying citizenship to grandchild.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.