Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Multiple Citizenship

I hold dual citizenship (EU & US) and I was wondering if there are people out there with 3 or more?

If that is the case do you have 3+ passports?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: A few
Hrmmmm... I'm not sure what the point of holding more than one national identity would. Which country do you hold you allegiance to? 50% EU and 50% US?

Other than being married to consular staff, I would think it difficult to attain more than 2 nationalities.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by eyezon
Hrmmmm... I'm not sure what the point of holding more than one national identity would. Which country do you hold you allegiance to? 50% EU and 50% US?

Other than being married to consular staff, I would think it difficult to attain more than 2 nationalities.
I'm my personal case Im Portuguese and my wife is Brazilian, so our daughters have dual citizenship. My wife can also apply for Italian citizenship if she wants, what would mean that the little ones can have three passports.

Theres not a point to it, its somethig that just happened.

Having different passports ( one or a couple from the EU and a Brazilian ) means more future opportunities for my daughters in terms where they want to study or work and makes travelling easier ( easier to get into Brazil, no visa for the US and a lot of countries with a EU passport, and so on... ).
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat

A passport is just a passport. I don't see how that has anything to do with "national loyalties". Whatever that may be. FWIW, even the US allows its citizens to serve in foreign armed forces.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:01 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
As a US citizen living in Europe, An EU passport would be quite useful. Having EU citizenship makes it MUCH easier to work in the EU. I will be applying for Cypriot citizenship once I have lived here in Cyprus for 8 years (only 6+ years to go).

I don't see why a person could not show allegiance to more than one country.

I have moved to Cyprus and will spend the rest of my life here. That is why I will be applying for Cypriot citizenship. Cyprus does not require that I give up my US citizenship, though I would if they required it because this is my home now.

BTW, it now costs $450 to renounce your US citizenship. I don't want to get into a patriotic vs unpatriotic discussion, but I do find it very strange that a country can force you to remain a citizen by charging a fee.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by fjord
I hold dual citizenship (EU & US) and I was wondering if there are people out there with 3 or more?

If that is the case do you have 3+ passports?
There are several FTers with three or more citizenships. I can think of one with four. I have also come across the odd individual with one American and one British parent who was born in Canada (three times actually this very combination).

Someone once claimed to have six but disappeared and never answered my questions about it.

I personally have two citizenships (US and UK) and am equally allegiant to each. Thankfully neither country much cares. It is very common in this country to meet people with multiple citizenships, normally children of Britons (or other Europeans) who have emigrated, or immigrants who have been naturalised.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by ajax
There are several FTers with three or more citizenships. I can think of one with four. I have also come across the odd individual with one American and one British parent who was born in Canada (three times actually this very combination).

Someone once claimed to have six but disappeared and never answered my questions about it.

I personally have two citizenships (US and UK) and am equally allegiant to each. Thankfully neither country much cares. It is very common in this country to meet people with multiple citizenships, normally children of Britons (or other Europeans) who have emigrated, or immigrants who have been naturalised.
Added: all individuals from Northern Ireland are automatically dual-nationals of Ireland and the UK. Most claim one or the other predominantly, but all are entitled to claim both.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I don't see why a person could not show allegiance to more than one country.
I agree. But I'm pretty sure that lots of people disagree with this attitude.

Cyprus does not require that I give up my US citizenship, though I would if they required it because this is my home now.
The US doesn't require this either.

BTW, it now costs $450 to renounce your US citizenship. I don't want to get into a patriotic vs unpatriotic discussion, but I do find it very strange that a country can force you to remain a citizen by charging a fee.
Some countries think that you cannot become a non-citizen at all. Which seems to be a quasi-religious attitude towards citizenship. The US gummint doesn't really care if you never renew your passport.

But the IRS still cares. IANAL, but escaping US tax liabilities isn't all that easy.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A good friend of mine has 4 - one by virtue of where she was born and lived as a small child, one from each of her parents, and one from where she lives now. She only bothers with 2 passports now I believe (now EU is all so free and easy to move between), but has had all 4 at some points.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
It IS quite a steep fee... but at least they do let you renounce your citizenship. There are some countries which don't - where the law says "Once a citizen, always a citizen".

I have friends in Canada who have dual citizenships for no other reason than the fact that their birth country won't let them renounce their original citizenship... and they have to go to the hassle and expense of renewing both sets of passports all the time because they can't travel to their birth country on their Canadian passports.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by ajax
Added: all individuals from Northern Ireland are automatically dual-nationals of Ireland and the UK. Most claim one or the other predominantly, but all are entitled to claim both.
Which begs the question - what's the most citizenships anyone can have by right of birth as opposed to naturalisation / marriage.

For example someone born in NI to a British parent and a non-British parent can claim British, Irish, any other citizenship the British parent holds & the citizenship(s) of the other parent
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:27 pm

Well in the case of EU & US they'd gain the right to live and work anywhere in the EU & US on a permanent basis. The other good reason is that it can reduce the need for pre-arranging visas or at least significantly reduce their cost.

As for attaining more than 2 nationalities - it's quite simple especially when the US allows citizenship by virtue of birth - so a couple with different nationalities who give birth in the US would automatically give their child 3 citizenships. Then you have parents who themselves have multiple citizenships and it becomes easy to have 5 or more separate citizenships

Last edited by alanR; Oct 19, 2011 at 1:32 pm
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I know someone who had 3 citizenships: Born in the US (1) to a British (2) mother and a French (3) father. He didn't hold current passports for each country, which caused some problems when he tried to fly to the US on a British passport. (The airline wouldn't let him board, requiring a hasty visit to the US embassy in London.( I mistakenly said he had dual citizenship when I posted about it several years ago.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:44 pm

You can get as many as you want, provided you follow the immigration and naturalisation laws in the country of which you wish to become a citizen. It's not easy, but it's possible.

For instance, I am entitled to Israeli citizenship but have zero interest in claiming it.

Originally Posted by alanR
Which begs the question - what's the most citizenships anyone can have by right of birth as opposed to naturalisation / marriage.
I seem to remember we discussed this a few months back. Provided that all four of your grandparents are citizens of different countries, all of which allow them to pass citizenship along to their grandchildren (e.g., Ireland, Italy) and that both of your parents are citizens of two further, different countries by virtue of their birth, both of which allow them to pass citizenship along to their children, and provided that you are born in a country different from all of these that allows you to claim citizenship by virture of having been born there, then I would imagine the maximum number of citizenships you could be born with is seven. I cannot see how it could practically be any more than this.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by alanR
As for attaining more than 2 nationalities - it's quite simple especially when the US allows citizenship by virtue of birth - so a couple with different nationalities who give birth in the US would automatically give their child 3 citizenships. Then you have parents who themselves have multiple citizenships and it becomes easy to have 5 or more separate citizenships
Yes - I know a Greek/Spanish couple and a British/Finnish couple, both of which had a child in the US. These two children are both automatically triple-nationals at birth. I imagine this is far from rare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.