Reload this Page >

Multiple Citizenship

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:17 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Interesting thread.

I am actually in the process of renouncing my US citizenship.

I became a naturalized Swiss citizen some 15 years ago.

Lots of Overseas Americans dumping the US citizenship, especially those who reside in Europe.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Gigantor
One of the hardest Western countries to get naturalised in, now that takes commitment!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:26 am

Programs: M&M (LX/LH) Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Silver, AF/KL Silver, Swiss Railway
Originally Posted by Santander
One of the hardest Western countries to get naturalised in, now that takes commitment!
The $wi$$ require a lot more than ju$t commitment.

Get the me$$age?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AZ Exec, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Well, it is $witzerland.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:55 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I have 2: US and Luxembourg
Wife has 2: UK and Poland
thus, daughter has four.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:25 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by eyezon
Other than being married to consular staff, I would think it difficult to attain more than 2 nationalities.
If you read enough threads on FT or attend DOs regularly, you'll know there are more than a handful of FTers hold more than two nationalities and didn't marry to consular staff. Welcome to the world of FTers!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Didn't Jason Bourne have about 10 passports?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:17 am

Lot's of people in US with parents immigrated from other countries have at least two passports.
Originally Posted by lin821
If you read enough threads on FT or attend DOs regularly, you'll know there are more than a handful of FTers hold more than two nationalities and didn't marry to consular staff. Welcome to the world of FTers!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
I don't see why a person could not show allegiance to more than one country.
When the interests of the countries are not fundamentally different, and when the countries are not at war, I can see that. With good allies this is easy.

BUt when the countries have fundamentally different values (think US and Saudi Arabia as it pertains to women's rights), when they have ongoing fundamental conflicts (think India and Pakistan), or when they are at war, I can see a dual-citizen having trouble showing allegiance to both.

Those of you who are multiple citizens, have you encountered such conflicts of allegiance in your lives, and how have you dealt with them?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
When the interests of the countries are not fundamentally different, and when the countries are not at war, I can see that. With good allies this is easy.

BUt when the countries have fundamentally different values (think US and Saudi Arabia as it pertains to women's rights), when they have ongoing fundamental conflicts (think India and Pakistan), or when they are at war, I can see a dual-citizen having trouble showing allegiance to both.

Those of you who are multiple citizens, have you encountered such conflicts of allegiance in your lives, and how have you dealt with them?
The nation-state is an artificial construct to begin with... I am currently a citizen of two nation-states and I have never taken an oath to either one.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:50 am
Suspended

I do. Canadian, American, EU.

I was born in Canada (makes me Canadian)to American parents (makes me American), one of whom was a holocaust survivor..in 1995 Germany gave automatic citizenship to all holocaust survivors driven out of Germany AND their children. So we applied for that and got German citizenship which became EU citizenship.

I don't show "allegiance" to any country. I obey laws and pay taxes. Citizenship is about the passport you hold, not about some conceptual pep-squad or loss of personal agency to the state.

Last edited by pinworm; Oct 20, 2011 at 7:57 am
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:26 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
I have US and Spanish passports, and have previously held and am eligible to get a French passport. I keep it simple, one US and one EU- the EU passport being the easiest one to get depending on where I'm living. Since there's a Spanish Consulate in San Juan, it's a no-brainer.

I might also qualify for an Israeli and Guatemalan passports, but I haven't bothered trying since neither one offers me anything I need at the moment.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gigantor
Interesting thread.

I am actually in the process of renouncing my US citizenship.

Lots of Overseas Americans dumping the US citizenship, especially those who reside in Europe.
May I ask the reasons for you wanting to renounce your US citizenship? Presumably if you then go back to visit you will have to pay for an ESTA and enjoy longer lines at US immigration on arrival?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by britenbsas
May I ask the reasons for you wanting to renounce your US citizenship? Presumably if you then go back to visit you will have to pay for an ESTA and enjoy longer lines at US immigration on arrival?
It might have to do with his previou$ po$t?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
A country is not the same thing as a citizen - many citizens abhor their governments' policies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.