Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2011, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by GUWonder
"Old World" imperial powers -- or at least their legacy rumps -- have quite the history of retaining foreign nationals to do their military business. But even in the "New World", there's quite the history of it too.

When it comes to a military with enlisted (non-citizen) personnel with more than a dozen foreign nationalities represented, the US probably has more such nationalities represented than just about any other country save perhaps a handful. German immigrants to the US enlisting in the US military (as a German citizen) is but one of many such examples from the US military in the last several years.
Yes, Wernher von Braun was quite the catch !
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Friend of mine has Greek, Canadian, Swiss, and Finnish passports.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by holtju2
Friend of mine has Greek, Canadian, Swiss, and Finnish passports.
3 out of 4 ain't bad
Old Oct 25, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by joejones
This is technically true, but Japan can't practically control the other citizenships of its citizens, so a significant number of Japanese people hold dual or multiple citizenship -- they just have to make sure that the Japanese government doesn't know about it.
You'll note I said that Japan does not allow its citizens to hold any other citizenships. In Japan, like Malaysia, if its citizens have taken other citizenships, they automatically void their Japanese (Malaysian) citizenship and thus are no longer Japanese (Malaysian) citizens. Quite simple, in theory. Of course, they simply need to make sure that their (former) government doesn't find out that they are technically no longer citizens.

Originally Posted by jms_uk
Can you please clarify what you mean by 'legal residents'?
I'll gladly stand corrected on this. I was entirely wrong.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.u...r-registration

Originally Posted by Electoral Commission
Who can vote?
  • British, Irish and qualifying citizens of Commonwealth countries (including Cyprus and Malta) can vote at all elections.
  • Citizens of other EU member states resident in the UK can vote in local government elections but cannot vote in UK Parliamentary elections.
  • Those resident in Scotland or Wales may also vote in Scottish Parliamentary or National Assembly for Wales elections.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 2:18 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by emma69
Certainly you can retain citizenship of more the one country (dual national) in some armed forces, provided you are also a national of where you are serving. In some cases, you don't even have to be a citizen (the one that springs to mind are the Gurkhas in the British Army).

And when it comes to other citizenships after service, I can't even recall a question about whether I had served on the form.
In my original answer I did say "generally" It varies very much by individual country, current international politics and of course the person.

The British are notorious for making some more equal than others. Some have a revolution, others just take it. For the most part, anyone who does what the Ghurkas do/did, should be granted equal citizenship rights.

In certain cases the answer is obvious without asking. Austrian males are drafted into military service after high school unless they have some severe health issue where they cannot serve. So it is safe to say that 99.99% of Austrian males have served. However, currently Austria is on the "nice" list for most countries, the question doesn't need to be asked for both reasons.

Another example, would be both China and Taiwan's new immigration policy. The question is actually printed because 1) it is perceived as important to their national security if one has served in certain militaries elsewhere, and 2) they are not bothered about being PC

In the US, if you serve, you get full citizenship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.