Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:50 pm

Rosendals on the Djurgarten in Stockholm. Most tourists only go as far as the Vasa Museum or Skansen. Keep going! Past the end of the trolley line but not very far is an old royal palace and gardens that is now a public park, sculpture garden, and producing organic farm. Lots and lots of roses too. The restaurants serve the delicious local produce and until recently, it was the only place in Stockholm to get a salad that wasn't 100% iceberg lettuce. You can eat at tables near the greenhouse or take your food under an apple tree. Very peaceful and beautiful.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:25 pm

The Pulpit Rock (Preikestolen) near Stavanger, Norway, which is a sheer rockface with a 1700-ft. drop to the Lysefjord below. There's a certain resemblence to Half Dome in Yosemite, with obvious differences. It involves a 2-hour hike (about 3.5 km each way and 1000 feet of elevation gain). Magnificent views at the top.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:08 am

The Chauvet-Pont-d'Arc & Lascaux Cave paintings in Southern France
Old Jan 18, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
The Pulpit Rock (Preikestolen) near Stavanger, Norway, which is a sheer rockface with a 1700-ft. drop to the Lysefjord below. There's a certain resemblence to Half Dome in Yosemite, with obvious differences. It involves a 2-hour hike (about 3.5 km each way and 1000 feet of elevation gain). Magnificent views at the top.
I also thought wasn't so widely known, until it seems that everyday, from FB to blogs, pics of the that view pop up.
I realize it is easy to catch a photogenic shot of the amazing view.

---

Just been visiting Tbilisi (Georgia).
I was blown away, definitely scenic.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:17 am

Hershey Train in Cuba - beautiful ride with dilapidated train from Matanzas to Havana with palm trees, peaceful countryside and abandoned chocolate factory.

Short vid from the trip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8xeUGUmg7k
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1k
USS Hornet, aircraft carrier in Alameda Shipyards, Oakland.

Very much off the SF tourist trail, and hardly advertised I first came across it as the location of one of three remaining quarantine vans for returning Apollo astronauts. Famous for being the recovery ship for Apollo 11 splashdown.

It is not only a space museum, but is a dedicated museum to the carriers that were lost in WWII, with hundreds of photos and memorabilia from the various ships.

I was fortunate to visit on a "live ship" day, when docents, who served on the Hornet are happy to show folks around. Although the catapault equipment is long gone, the aircraft elevators all work and they spend the day moving aircraft around between decks.

If you enjoyed looking around the Jeramiah O'Brian and USS Pampanito on Fishermans Wharf this is definitely for you

A very pleasant way to spend six hours on a Saturday afternoon and highly recommended if you e
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Corregidor Island. While its historically well known. Actually going there is amazing.

Hohenzollern Castle south of Stuttgart. Again, off the beaten path for castles in Germany. Much more impressive and preserved than any. Still in the Hohenzollern family. That family became the royalty of Prussia, Kaiser Wilhelm, etc...
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Richym99
USS Hornet, aircraft carrier in Alameda Shipyards, Oakland.
I went in 2007 and was disappointed. Some stuff below decks was in good shape and the docents were great, but at the time there were almost no static aircraft on the deck and a lot of the areas felt as if they were in an advanced state of disrepair. Has it gotten any better?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
We were there in March 2013.

Going to Australia and New Zealand, we also spent a few days in Tasmania.

I don't know if it is well known or not, but it is the Tasman Peninsula, Tasmania.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Petra, Jordan. I honestly thought this place was created as a Hollywood set. It's supposidley 5th century BC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petra
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:41 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PenaltyBox
Petra, Jordan. I honestly thought this place was created as a Hollywood set. It's supposidley 5th century BC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petra
I'd really like to get to Madain Saleh, in Saudi Arabia. Now how to convince them to offer me (fabricate on the spot) a tourist visa...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Coba, Mexico

Excellent Mayan village/pyramid site minus 95% of the tourists you get at Chichen Itza. Easy daytrip from any of the tourist areas along the coast...we did it with a 1-day Hertz rental from CUN. It's a vast site: sometimes you feel like you're alone in the jungle with all of these ruins and some of the largest pyramids in the Mayan world.

Since you'll probably drive through Tulum to get there, you might as well visit the ruins there as well. Tulum is nice, but Coba steals the show.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:20 pm

Yellowstone NP- but wait NOT in the Summer- in the WINTER!!! THe snow coach tours are AMAZING- the WILD LIFE viewing is OUT OF THIS WORLD!
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by hallen
Yellowstone NP- but wait NOT in the Summer- in the WINTER!!! THe snow coach tours are AMAZING- the WILD LIFE viewing is OUT OF THIS WORLD!
I'd second this. I went in shoulder season - (barely on the shoulder) - end of September, just as they were getting ready to close the seasonal stuff. Cold, thus few tourists, but all trails still open. Only problem I remember was that the hot pools that are very colorful were a bit hard to see due to the steam coming off being visible in the cold air, while it's clearer in summer. you need to be upwind to get a good view.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:46 am

Great thread!

We literally stumbled into Independence Rock in Wyoming on our way home from a west coast road trip. Basically it's a large rock formation on the Oregon Trail in central Wyoming. Emigrants on the trail would stop at Independence Rock and carve their names in the stone along with the date. Family members who trailed them they would see the names and know they made it to that point safely. Visitors today can climb all over the rock freely and check out the inscriptions, some of which go back to the mid-1800's.

http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/Site/Sit...aspx?siteID=24

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.