Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:02 pm

There have been plenty of threads about this. This one is the most popular.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...u-away-12.html
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:04 am

If only it didn't say "page not found"

Originally Posted by leonidas
There have been plenty of threads about this. This one is the most popular.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...u-away-12.html
Old Jun 26, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Þingvellir National Park, Iceland
Old Jun 26, 2014, 7:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I was pretty impressed by the historic town of Tivoli near Rome. My one day and night there in the unspoilt beauty of the ancient town was more memorable than my time in Rome.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:23 pm

The Nevada Test Site tour is pretty neat if you're into nucler bomb craters. It also goes around some of the houses and other structures in the famous nuclear test movies.

Climbing Mt Fuji was good fun. Lots of Japanese people do it, but I didn't see many non-Japanese people on the climb.

The Hunterian Museum in London; I actually had to leave after a while because all the diseased body parts in jars were making me a bit queasy. They've got half of Babbage's brain on display, I later found the other half in the Science Museum.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I second the town of Wernigerode Germany, but also nearby Goslar.
And Luxemburg Ville, I worked there for 9 years, the only negative there being the local population, they are not sociable at all, only if you speak their peculiar little language Letseburgisch, which sounds a mixture of German, French and Dutch but can only be understood and spoken by real Letseburgisch people.
Good morning is Moyen.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Stepping off an Air Iceland Dash 8 onto the tarmac at IFJ and being presented with the most amazing view.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by perthflyer
Stepping off an Air Iceland Dash 8 onto the tarmac at IFJ and being presented with the most amazing view.
I had a similar experience in ZQN, Queenstown, New Zealand
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:15 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Avoiding the obvious cliche examples, I will say the Potala Palace in Lhasa is absolutely mind-boggling stunning in person, even more impressive than the photos.

Also stunning was the Lijiang market in China--an absolutely crazy array of colors, sights, smells, and sounds unlike any market we've seen anywhere in the world. I'm not a big fan of markets, which often bore me. This one astounded even me and kept my attention for hours. The meats section was incredibly intriguing and even macabre, seeing dogs caged for eventual slaughter--which, our guide explained, was the reason so few Americans wanted to see that section. We wanted to see it, though--being no different than if an Indian traveler were to see an American slaughterhouse, after all. It was disturbing, but a memory we will never forget.

Borobodur was the other site that blew us away in a way that we hadn't quite expected. The view from Amanjiwo was magical, but up close the site truly is magnificent.

Diving the Blue Hole in Belize--or even just seeing it from an elevated position on a boat or helicopter--is another incredible sight.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:52 pm

My very last day in Venice (for the second time in 2007) in mid-December, I finally found my way to the Peggy Guggenheim Villa. What a marvelous place. Full of paintings given to her (Picasso, Pollock). She's even buried there and so are her pets. It was such an intimate display of her life in Italy. It gave me chills.

Last edited by deputter; Jul 15, 2014 at 5:52 pm
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I don't know if these all qualify as not well known as just about anything can be well known in a particular area, country, etc. But perhaps merely not as well known to my countrymen in the U.S., or to me at one time...

- Miyajima Island, Japan: Most people have seen the floating torii without even knowing where it's located, as it appears so often in tourist information and books. I wish we would've spent the night there, the island has a certain magic to it. The fact that it's juxtaposed with Hiroshima and the death that once took place there makes it stand out even more.

- Hiroshima monuments, ruins and museums: While the city's name is well known, I don't think that many people realize what a powerful experience it is visiting the various sites and the peace museum. Overwhelming, really. The modern city is very nice as are its residents.

- The Daintree Rain Forest, Queensland, Australia: We took a walking tour in Coopers Creek wilderness and it was incredible, even spotted a cassowary which is officially my favorite bird now.

- Trier, Germany - saw this mentioned upthread and I'd agree it's a cool place, definitely worth a visit.

- Charles Lindbergh's grave, Kipahulu, Maui: It's nothing fancy, but the quiet, small church and cemetery...the remote location...I can see why Lindbergh loved that area so much and chose to spend his final days there.

I'm sure I've forgotten some...will add later if I remember!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
The Holocaust Museum in Washington, DC. First (and only) Holocaust museum I've been to.

Eight years ago and it still has an impact on me - Whenever I hear someone say "I don't care if the government listens, I've got nothing to hide" I think of the images and stories from that incredibly well put-together museum...
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:56 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Catherine Palace, Tsarskoe Selo, St Petersburg.

You just have to go to appreciate it - room after room of utter opulence, open to the public. Mindblowing - like a fairy tale.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis Select, MHC, Amex Plat
Morelia Mexico half way between Guadalajara and Mexico City. A charming well preserved city center with great architecture from 200-500 years ago, modern hotels, the city trolley tour a definite must to get to know the highlights. Sorry we only had one night. If you go save a day check out the lake where Janitzio is located.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Badami, Karnataka, India - visited 2 days ago. I'll post a TR about it soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.