Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Quinta da Regaleira looks awesome.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis Pref, DL Silver, National EE
Sedgwick County Zoo in Wichita, KS is quite a surprise, a good way to spend most of the day.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:50 am

Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho.

Hike from the crater floor to the summit of Diamond Head on Oahu.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Fingal's Cave in the Hebrides Islands.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1k
Postojnska and Skocjan caverns in Slovenia. Unknown and unbelievable.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:08 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Gerhard Richter’s stained glass window in the Cologne cathedral. A truly awesome and unexpected site.

Last edited by jemmazee; Dec 28, 2014 at 12:09 am Reason: Removed broken URL
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:16 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

This is a good one for airport enthusiasts- Parque Bicentenario in Quito.

The old airport terminal (downtown) now serves airport buses (for the new airport), and the runway/the immediate vicinity has been converted into a park.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
The Oresound Bridge that links Denmark to Sweden,the train ride over it is awesome,the train runs in a cage slung under the bridge.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Well, it looks like few posters here have travelled China as extensively as I have, so on my list are more pointers for China. In no particular order, now...

Karakoram Highway and Karakul Lake in Xinjiang province, China

Sunday livestock market at Kashgar in Xinjiang province, China

Riding an ostrich and a camel (not simultaneously, of course), and zip-lining over the Yellow River, at Shapotou, Ningxia province, China

Rice terraces at Yuanyang in Yunnan province, China

Imperial Palace in Shenyang, Liaoning province, China - far more worthwhile than the much more well-known Forbidden City in Beijing

Nanjing Massacre Memorial in Nanjing, Jiangsu province, China - might not be to everyone's taste, though...

Taishan in Shandong province, China - I prefer this to Huangshan (Yellow Mountains) mentioned by YuropFlyer in #335, which I find rather overpriced

Hakka roundhouses in Fujian and Guangdong provinces, China - in the 70s the US Defence thought they were nuclear reactors or something...

I second the recommendation of Taiwaned in #129... Jiuzhaigou in Sichuan province, China - please avoid any Chinese public holidays though, and walk away from the boardwalk nearest to the shuttle bus stops

Also second the recommendation (though by now I'm sure more people know of it already) of the Jinshanling-Simatai Great Wall as by cmlies in #190. I did this in 2004 or 2005, and there were no other people besides us who went together on the same bus from the hostel... and some enterprising Chinese who kept following us hoping for a tip at the end of the hike. Definitely "breathtaking" in more ways than one.

For those who recommended the Dazu grottoes near Chongqing, I have to say I haven't been there but I've been to a number of other ones. The best (IMHO) was at Dunhuang in Gansu province, China. Go during winter if you can, most people go there in the summer and you get rushed along AND squeezed, not so great.

Bus ride over the hills on Lantau island going towards HKG - early morning just after sunrise

East coastline of Taiwan

Arirang performance in Pyongyang, North Korea

Sunset (while on a cruise boat) in Halong Bay, Vietnam

Recoleta Cemetery in Buenos Aires, Argentina - probably well-known but still amazing

Windmill and Ten Boom Haus in Harlem, the Netherlands

Bus ride from Como to Bellagio on Como di Lago, Italy

View from the castle towards town in Verona, Italy

Duomo rooftop in Milan, Italy - definitely well-known but it just blew me away much more than I expected!

"Bone chapel" in Milan, Italy

Bronte to Bondi beachwalk in Sydney, Australia - it's relatively well-known, but it's not in the downtown city centre

Gorge Wildlife Park in Adelaide, Australia

Hot-air balloon ride in Canberra, Australia

Sunset on St. Kilda's beach in Melbourne, Australia

Quinta Regaleira in Sintra, Portugal - Ahah, I wrote this down before I read #490!

Oka Masaharu Memorial Nagasaki Peace Museum in Nagasaki, Japan - probably the only establishment in Japan that openly acknowledges the Nanjing Massacre

No offence meant to obscure2k or anyone else, but what I saw at Dachau seems a veritable palace compared to what the Japanese put the POWs (and locals, especially Chinese) in Asia through.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by ellyse
t Dachau seems a veritable palace compared to what the Japanese put the POWs (and locals, especially Chinese) in Asia through.
Care to elaborate on this??? Dachau a palace??? You need to justify this statement or commit hari-kari.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:12 am

Angkor Wat - I knew so little of Cambodia (it was an impulse trip) and had only heard of Angkor Wat from other travelers (yes I'm that uneducated), we me and another couple of English guys hired a tuktuk and went to visit the temples, I was blown away by them (both the size and appearance). We went around midday when all the tour groups were having lunch so almost had the place to ourselves, some of the temples looked like something out of tomb raider, amazing experience.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:36 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ellyse
The dwellings, at least of the 1st generation, were pretty spacious. From what the guide was describing, it doesn't sound like they had an extremely hard time - of course this changed as more and more prisoners were crowded in.
Do some research into what the Japanese crammed the POWs in Singapore and the Philippines (not to mention other places) into. I believe the prisoner:space/facilities ratio was markedly worse.
What you're saying is...you'd rather be a imprisoned in a German concentration camp than a Japanese one?

What a bizarre post.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
In the US:

The NSA's Cryptologic Museum at Fort Meade: Way cool to geeks like me

Outside US
The above post is #230 (page 16).

There is a park with old airplanes on display near the road to that museum. Be very careful if you take pictures. You are being watched. They will come to you with sirens blaring if they think the photo captures more than the airplane, such as a building (even though there are bushes and trees blocking view of any building). Better yet, enjoy the planes while you are there, remember the model, then look up the model online if you want to see a picture of it.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by emma dog
Not super obscure, but:

1) Penguins of Magdalena Island, Chile
2) Dry Tortugas, the history and overall ambience
3) Skamania Lodge, WA
4) Chattanooga Aquarium
5) Civil War Medicine Museum in Frederick, MD
6) Watching the aurora from the mountain at Chena Hot Springs, AK
p.23, post 323

#3 is pleasant but not mind blowing. The nice thing is that it is not too far from Portland, Oregon and you can see Multnomah Falls on the way, as well as the quaint bridge to Skamania Lodge.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: UA1K, F9 Ascent
Timanfaya NP on Lanzarote. Incredible volcanic landscapes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.