Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Canyon de Chelley in Chinle, Arizona. It's a National Monument and I describe it as being "not THE Grand Canyon but A Grand Canyon". It has all the beauty of the GC but without any of the crowds. When I toured it I had the park almost all to myself. And it's free!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
The Hungarian Parliament, Budapest - You enter on the ground floor and assemble in a dim hallway. After you are processed in, you ascend a staircase with blank walls on either side. As you go up, first an ornate ceiling and then the vast room it covers blooms into view. The effect is magical, and my jaw dropped as I watched it unfold.

Muscat, Oman - The city is built around a series of hills and ridges, but they seem to emerge organically from amidst the buildings, rather than the buildings being on them. I've never been anywhere else like it.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:01 am

The Octagon in Washington, D.C., is an unassuming but terrific discovery. Just a couple of blocks from the White House. Terrific docents, interesting architecture including some quirky hidden passageways and an active research dig in the cellar. Connection to many key aspects of early American history and social life. When I went a few years back there was a gallery on the top floor too. Highly recommended for grownups.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:27 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

The Ospedale degli Innocenti (Hospital of the Innocents) in Florence. A former orphanage built in the 1400's. During the Plague years, many parents left their small children in the depository for care. Only extensively small infants could fit through the grid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ospedale_degli_Innocenti

Also the Dolomiti National Park in Italy. Like driving through an Alpine postcard.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I left the Pioneer Village Museum in Minden, Nebraska a few hours ago after visiting it for the second time in twenty-five years. We let the numerous billboards on I-80 advertising it lure us there the first time and didn't regret it for a second.

Tens of thousands of casually-curated artifacts of the progress of (mostly American) technology overwhelm the visitor. If you ever wondered what a limelight is, how much a microwave oven cost in 1956 ($1,150), how brooms are made, or what a thresher drawn by 32 horses looked like, this museum will answer your questions.
I love this place too. Not a lot of dining options nearby however.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by fastflyer
I love this place too. Not a lot of dining options nearby however.
We had a tasty ribeye at the Alley Rose in Kearny, about twenty minutes away. Since we were staying in Kearny, it wasn't out of our way.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Sigiriya Rock Fortress and the lion's paws in Sri Lanka...
The views up top are simply breathtaking
Old Sep 15, 2016, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Montenegro.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Snorkelling with beluga whales in Churchill, Manitoba, Canada this summer.
I've been all around the Caribbean and Hawaii, and none of it compares to this.

http://www.everythingchurchill.com/e...beluga-whales/
Old Sep 16, 2016, 9:16 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by jerry305
Snorkelling with beluga whales in Churchill, Manitoba, Canada this summer.
I've been all around the Caribbean and Hawaii, and none of it compares to this.

http://www.everythingchurchill.com/e...beluga-whales/
This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing. I've just added this type of trip to my list. It looks like Calm Air does the transport to Churchill, and it's an AC affiliate with point redemption possibilities. I'm checking into it now for a trip next summer.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 10:34 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by daKav
Montenegro.
The topography was something else. Didn't expect the relatively mild temperatures in Kotor in early March, then just a half-hour drive away, snow-capped peaks.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:36 pm

Naval Air Museum in Pensacola. Likely the best military museum I have visited.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Many attractions are locally known but not famous.

Ive been to obscure museums. One was the town museum of Nome, Alaska.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:12 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Fun to see this thread resurrected.

Here are a couple of relatively little-known places in the northern Highlands of Scotland that blew me away; they're just a couple of hours from one another.

Croick Church: In lonely Strath Carron, the churchyard was used as a staging area for evicted Highlanders during the infamous Highland Clearances of the 18th and 19th centuries. (Following the Jacobite rebellion of 1745, the new English landlords reduced the population of the Highlands by evicting families that had lived there since whenever and introduced sheep farming, which required far fewer workers.) While they were in the churchyard awaiting deportation (to Ireland, Canada, North America...) some of them scratched pitiful messages in the church windows, still visible.

Dun Dornaigil/Dornadilla: A couple of hours north of Croick is the prehistoric broch or fort of Dun Dornaigil, set on an unnumbered and incredibly scenic little road near the foot of Ben Hope. It's been there for thousands of years, speaking to the antiquity of the land. Nobody knows exactly when it was built or its original purpose, but it's quite a feat of engineering; the keystone over the low door must weigh tons.

Here's a map that also shows an interesting place under most people's radar, Smoo Cave outside Durness on the Scottish north coast. Interesting sea cave to explore, reputedly used by Vikings for storing plunder while they were out plundering someplace else.
muji likes this.

Last edited by Gardyloo; May 19, 2018 at 8:06 am
Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:53 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

The Newseum in Washington, D.C. blew me away. http://www.newseum.org/visit/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.