Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:36 am

They do for me.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
The butterfly garden in Singapore Airport...and the entire airport!

Singapore Airport is my favorite airport in the world, partly because it's so well organized but mostly because it has a lot of fun features. And the most fun of all is the lovely butterfly garden. What a pleasure to wander through such a place in the middle of an international terminal!

Obviously I'm not recommending anyone plan a trip around simply passing through the airport. But if you have a choice between a quick transit there and one that gives you a few hours to explore the place, I'd recommend the latter. (And for even longer transits, they offer free city tours.)
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:12 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Singapore Airport is my favorite airport in the world, partly because it's so well organized but mostly because it has a lot of fun features. And the most fun of all is the lovely butterfly garden. What a pleasure to wander through such a place in the middle of an international terminal!

Obviously I'm not recommending anyone plan a trip around simply passing through the airport. But if you have a choice between a quick transit there and one that gives you a few hours to explore the place, I'd recommend the latter. (And for even longer transits, they offer free city tours.)
One area SIN screws up is in not having a central security area (i.e., not being allowed to take drinks onto flights. Yes, I know that empty water bottles are fine.)

Also, public transit at night is virtually nonexistent. Not that it's so expensive to get to the city by other means, but that's another aspect for which I don't care for SIN.

OTOH, I'd much rather be at Changi than in Singapore...
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:43 am

Views from the mountain looking down on the Bay of Kotor, Montenegro. It was quite a winding drive to get up there though.

Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad

Thanks for shouting out for Singapore. And yes, I hope they do something about the central security thing when they build the new Terminals 4 and 5. There is also Project Jewel coming up.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:47 am

The Taieri Gorges Railway, Dunedin, New Zealand. Didn't know what to expect. The views were breathtaking.

Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Tonto National Monument in Arizona. I'd never heard of it while living there but it's a 14th Century Cliff Dwelling about 100 miles from Phoenix. You hike a half mile up to it and then have views over a beautiful desert valley:

http://www.nps.gov/tont/index.htm
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
OTOH, I'd much rather be at Changi than in Singapore...
Amen to that!
Old May 23, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Gota Canal - Sweden
We started in Stockholm (Baltic side of things)
& ended in Gothenburg (Atlantic).
Fantastic way to see gorgeous countryside.

http://www.gotakanal.se/en/
Old Sep 11, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I left the Pioneer Village Museum in Minden, Nebraska a few hours ago after visiting it for the second time in twenty-five years. We let the numerous billboards on I-80 advertising it lure us there the first time and didn't regret it for a second.

Tens of thousands of casually-curated artifacts of the progress of (mostly American) technology overwhelm the visitor. If you ever wondered what a limelight is, how much a microwave oven cost in 1956 ($1,150), how brooms are made, or what a thresher drawn by 32 horses looked like, this museum will answer your questions.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 6:46 pm

St Joseph's Cathedral in Hanoi.

From the outside, it doesn't look like much, but inside, it's beautiful.

And since it's only open (AFAIK) during mass, if you go, you get to listen to the amazing singing.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: MR Platinum, and a certain status at an unnamed airline
The Great Court at The British Museum in London. Sounds funny, but having been to countless intl landmarks and world wonders, this space really took my breath away. I felt so small and in awe. No idea why. Maybe the things we don't expect to impress us are the most impressive?
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: Aero-something
(Haven't read all 38 pages so far, so apologize if this has ben mentioned already)

Wife and I were in Key West about 10 years ago and we stumbled upon this day trip to the Dry Tortugas National Park. We didn't have any plans and said 'what the hell, let's do it'

Man, what a gorgeous and very historical place that is. We spent the day walking around, exploring every nook and cranny of the fort and finished it off with an awesome snorkeling session.

If anyone is in Key west, I highly recommend it

https://www.drytortugas.com/
Old Sep 12, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Spex
(Haven't read all 38 pages so far, so apologize if this has ben mentioned already)

Wife and I were in Key West about 10 years ago and we stumbled upon this day trip to the Dry Tortugas National Park. We didn't have any plans and said 'what the hell, let's do it'

Man, what a gorgeous and very historical place that is. We spent the day walking around, exploring every nook and cranny of the fort and finished it off with an awesome snorkeling session.

If anyone is in Key west, I highly recommend it

https://www.drytortugas.com/
I go out there regularly. It is one of the best things to do if you visit here. The ferry is great and much cheaper than the seaplanes, but the view flying is incredible.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by kalderlake
St Joseph's Cathedral in Hanoi.

From the outside, it doesn't look like much, but inside, it's beautiful.

And since it's only open (AFAIK) during mass, if you go, you get to listen to the amazing singing.
The same for thousands of churches we've stumbled across while walking around various cities. You never know what you're going to find when you step through that door. Total beauty or not, you never know. A classic was the church in Rome we nicknamed "Our Lady of the Chandeliers" for the dozens of gaudy hanging light fictures. But then, we wandered into a church it Viterbo and just stood there and gawked. A little jewel box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.