Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
In Ireland, went to the Cliffs oh Moher which are of course great, but there's some other cliffs, on the Aran Islands, facing the more famous cliffs. While Moher was overrun with tourists, we had an hour sitting at the edge of these other massive cliffs where we never ran into another human being. It was incredibly beautiful, peaceful, and powerful!
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by PatoLoco
In Ireland, went to the Cliffs oh Moher which are of course great, but there's some other cliffs, on the Aran Islands, facing the more famous cliffs. While Moher was overrun with tourists, we had an hour sitting at the edge of these other massive cliffs where we never ran into another human being. It was incredibly beautiful, peaceful, and powerful!
After going to Iceland, Ireland was kind of letdown for me. However, I went to Ireland in mid-November (very slow season), and ~9am (openning time), The Cliffs of Moher was practically empty. I shared the cliffs with maybe 3 other people. On the hiking trail, I didn't run into anybody until I was heading back to the visitor center.

The problem with going to Ireland in November is that the ferries to Aran Islands weren't running. :-(

To stay within topic, the Guinness experience in Dublin exceeded my expectation. As a preface, I don't like beer, and liked Guinness even less...until I tried it in Ireland. It actually tasted ok. Anyway, for Euro15, you get fast wifi internet, about 2-pints worth of beer in the various tasting activities, a pretty cool tour, and a beautiful view of the city from the top floor bar.

Another one that stuck in my head was my trip to Japan in July 2011 shortly after the earthquake and Fukushima Nuclear Disaster. I mentioned the date/event because the lack of tourist made a big difference - I had a whirlwind tour of the country on my JR train pass and half way through, I was fairly sick of temples and palaces already. However, one temple I visited (in Nara or Himeji..I forget) was special. It was a typical hot and humid July day in Japan. I was planning to just "walk through" the temple since I was in town and had time between train schedule. When I got there, the temple was typical, not extravagantly decorated (no gift shops, candy shops, or cafes. Heck, there were no vending machines!). I don't even think I took a photo. I went in the temple (shoes off), nodded to the monk sitting at the foot of the stair to the second floor "museum", went up, and had the whole place to myself. The second floor, is completely open (no door, or windows.) I just sat by the ledge and enjoyed the breeze and the view of the forest in shade. I don't recall experiencing anything more serene and tranquil in my life. I actually dozed off for a few minutes. The visit didn't cost me thing except the 15 minute walk uphill to get there. After that, I went to Kyoto and was in the midst of loud tourists again... :-)
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
In Leipzig, Germany, I was astonished by the Voelkerschlachtdenkmal. Huge Edwardian-era monument marking the centennial of the 1813 defeat of Napoleon at Leipzig.

It gives a bit of a chill too. Its massive scale makes you wonder if this was the monumentalism that Albert Speer had in mind a few decades later.

http://www.stadtgeschichtliches-muse...kmal/index.php
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I really liked Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Also, Port Townsend, WA. Plus Putney, VT, but I lived there for a few years.

Cheers,
Pogopossum
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Badlands, South Dakota. They sorta made up for Mt Rushmore.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CPRich
Badlands, South Dakota. They sorta made up for Mt Rushmore.
Agreed. I felt the same way about my visit there, except I was blown away by Wind Caves National Park.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:53 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gZoLJyRyJA - you can get very close to this waterfall in Norway. It was amazing. It's in Jostedalsbreen National Park, Briksdalen valley.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:18 am

The beautiful "White Villages" in southern Spain. Ronda is pretty well known, but the rest seem well off the beaten track. We especially loved Arcos de la Frontera and Setenil de las Bodegas, in which some buildings are built right into the cliff face.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:31 pm

I have traveled to more than 100 countries and for rugged absolute beauty, I have found nothing to top Newfoundland and St Pierre/Miquelon. I actually made a trip around the area in a small plane and you can see it here https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=video%2cwmv
Old Nov 28, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Quinta da Regaleira, in Sintra Portugal (near Lisbon). A small palace, but the grounds of the palace were the real surprise: caves, a chapel, towers, an inverted well, so many cool things.

Last edited by Ben and Jerry; Nov 28, 2014 at 11:01 pm
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by chunky649
After going to Iceland, Ireland was kind of letdown for me. However, I went to Ireland in mid-November (very slow season), and ~9am (openning time), The Cliffs of Moher was practically empty. I shared the cliffs with maybe 3 other people. On the hiking trail, I didn't run into anybody until I was heading back to the visitor center.

The problem with going to Ireland in November is that the ferries to Aran Islands weren't running. :-(

To stay within topic, the Guinness experience in Dublin exceeded my expectation. As a preface, I don't like beer, and liked Guinness even less...until I tried it in Ireland. It actually tasted ok. Anyway, for Euro15, you get fast wifi internet, about 2-pints worth of beer in the various tasting activities, a pretty cool tour, and a beautiful view of the city from the top floor bar.

Another one that stuck in my head was my trip to Japan in July 2011 shortly after the earthquake and Fukushima Nuclear Disaster. I mentioned the date/event because the lack of tourist made a big difference - I had a whirlwind tour of the country on my JR train pass and half way through, I was fairly sick of temples and palaces already. However, one temple I visited (in Nara or Himeji..I forget) was special. It was a typical hot and humid July day in Japan. I was planning to just "walk through" the temple since I was in town and had time between train schedule. When I got there, the temple was typical, not extravagantly decorated (no gift shops, candy shops, or cafes. Heck, there were no vending machines!). I don't even think I took a photo. I went in the temple (shoes off), nodded to the monk sitting at the foot of the stair to the second floor "museum", went up, and had the whole place to myself. The second floor, is completely open (no door, or windows.) I just sat by the ledge and enjoyed the breeze and the view of the forest in shade. I don't recall experiencing anything more serene and tranquil in my life. I actually dozed off for a few minutes. The visit didn't cost me thing except the 15 minute walk uphill to get there. After that, I went to Kyoto and was in the midst of loud tourists again... :-)
Very similar story for me, I went in April 2011 and barely any tourists at all. Same kind of tranquility moment as well, only in Koyasan visiting Okunoin temple and cemetery. That, and being offered incense to burn by a very kind old Japanese man. Probably the most meaningful trip of my life.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 5:57 am

In Norway, Jostedalsbreen National Park. Briksdalen Valley, glacier and waterfall. Amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gZoLJyRyJA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv3n_CoHai8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8VUnjUB-8A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUEWI_fKEkA

I mean, everyone has seen Preikestolen on a photo, but this powerful waterfall you can almost walk into? Maaaan.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Originally Posted by Salmontes
^

I saw the sunset on a Maui South Sunset Sail,it was beautiful.

The pictures are amazing! How was your 2012 trip?

I was in Maui a few months ago and on my way to Hana I stopped at Kahanu Garden (MM31). Breathtaking views of Hana Coastline.
I was browsing through this thread and saw this question that I never responded to.

The pictures are from my 2011 trip to Laguna San Ignacio in Baja California. The lagoon is fairly isolated and not easy to get to. Every year from late December through April gray whales migrate from the Bering Sea to mate and give birth in the lagoons. San Ignacio is the most remote and pristine lagoon. The whales started making contact with the local fishermen back in the 1970s. The fishermen take tourists out in their pangas (fishing boats) to observe the whales. The mother whales will bring their calves up to the boat and allow you to pet, kiss, and interact with them. I have the most amazing videos on my facebook page of a mother bringing her calf to our panga, swimming under the baby, lifting it up, and bringing her baby to me. The videos are viewable to the public.

The 2012 trip was incredible; the 2013 trip was even better; the trip in February 2014 was simply superb; the trip in March 2014 was the best one. I am going again in March 2015. The gray whales are more friendly and approachable every year. I cannot stress enough that the whales choose to interact with the people. If anyone is interested in playing with the gray whales in Baja, I can recommend three different tour operators that provide unique experiences at varying costs.

Last edited by FlyForFun; Dec 4, 2014 at 3:41 pm Reason: Added stuff
Old Dec 4, 2014, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by maize&blue
Jökulsárlón in Iceland
particularly convenient (once you get that far east) because it is literally on the ring road.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:32 am

The Imperial War Museum in Duxford, Cambridge UK. I'm a bit of a gearhead but even if you're not you will be blown away by this place. It's located on a WWII airfield and exhibits are spread out throughout the 8 hangars and buildings. There are vintage aircraft that you can walk through (including a Concorde... and a BOAC passenger plane from the late 50's...amazing how much seatbelt technology has NOT changed ) as well as an opportunity to see things up close that I had only read about (Lockheed Blackbird, Harrier). The day that we went there were vintage aircraft flying around overhead as well as tanks and APCs roaring around behind the "Land" exhibition. We were there from opening until nearly closing and still hadn't managed to see all of the exhibits. Just amazing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.