Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Okay, what is the not widely known attraction that blew you away?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Well, I can think of two....

1) A visit to southern Utah and its various spectacular national parks in tandem with a road trip that included a jaunt over to Telluride in southwest Colorado, all conducted in a Porsche.

2) An open ocean sail from Raiatea to Bora Bora and back in a 52 foot catamaran where the six of us crewed and sailed the boat ourselves.

These were both very memorable journeys.....
Old Jun 13, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by jlemon
Well, I can think of two....

1) A visit to southern Utah and its various spectacular national parks in tandem with a road trip that included a jaunt over to Telluride in southwest Colorado, all conducted in a Porsche.
I'm going there in July! Just not in a porshe.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 1:07 pm

I am an extreme latecomer, but . . .

. . . in no particular order, some places that I did not see mentioned in the entire thread -- a few lesser-known than others:

USA:

Devil's Tower, Wyoming
City of St. Louis
Montpelier, Virginia
City of Pittsburgh
Frank Lloyd Wright House and Studio, Lake Park (Chicago)

UK:

Sir John Soane's House, London
Fountains Abbey, Ripon

AUSTRIA:

City of Graz
Town of Feldkirch
Baerenschutzklamm, Mixnitz
Riegersburg Castle and Raptor Show
Heurigers (Vienna) and Buschenshanks (rural areas)

FRANCE:

City of Nancy
City of Colmar
City of Strasbourg
Maginot Line, (several entry points)
Sainte Chapelle, Paris
City of Chartres
Arromanches (Gold) Landing Beach, Normandy
Train of the Pines, Provence

NETHERLANDS:

Keukenhof Gardens
Aalsmeer Flower Auction
Escher Museum, The Hague

ITALY:

City of Pistoia
Ravenna mosaics
City of Perugia
Town of Scanno and vicinity
Town of Mondovi
Town of Tagliacozzo
Town of Anghiari
Monte Isola
Lago d'Orte

BOSNIA:

Town of Mostar

PORTUGAL:

City of Porto
Batalha Monastery

SPAIN:

Segovia
Avila

GERMANY:

City of Bremen
City of Quedlinburg
Harz Narrow-gauge Railway
Town of Wernigerode
Town of Speyer
German Railroad Museum, Nuremberg
Volkingen Iron Works
Bodensee area
Mosel area

ROMANIA:

Brasov

CZECH REPUBLIC:

Town of Cesky Krumlov

SLOVAKIA:

Town of Levoca
City of Kosice

LUXEMBOURG:

City of Luxembourg

MEXICO:

Xochimilco, Mexico City
Luis Barragán House and Studio, Mexico City
Frida Kahlo House and Museum, Mexico City
Trotsky House and Museum, Mexico City
City of Puebla
City of Taxco
Tepoztlan
Tepozotlan (two separate towns, in opposite directions from Mexico City)
Xochicalco ruins

ARGENTINA:

City of Cordoba
City of Mendoza

CHILE:
Villarica
Old Jun 14, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
What a great idea for a thread, thank you OP!

I will endorse a few that were made earlier and then add on:

Clark Art Museum, Paradors in Spain, My own Liberty Hotel(!), Paris' Monet Museum, Bay of Fundy, PEI (I love riding on the red clay!), Red Rock Park outside LV, Lauterbrunnen/Wengen/Murren, Sainte Chapelle (try to attend a twilight concert here...unworldly), Frank Lloyd Wright House, St. Louis Senegal, City of Porto (so pretty) Portugal, Taxco Mexico (the amount of handmade silver jewelry, at rock bottom prices, is incredible).

My additions (in no particular order):

Doolin, Ireland: Lovely pubs with Irish Ceilidh nightly (locals and tourists alike)

Dingle and the Dingle Peninsula, Ireland: Maybe a bit touristy..but the combination of the friendly locals, excellent food, history and gorgeous scenery...just lovely!

Wat Sri Suphan (Silver Temple) Chiang Mai Thailand: The only silver Temple in the world. On a pedestrian side street in the best 'town' in Thailand. Plenty of culture, great food and shopping around..without Bangkok's crowds.

Sawtooth National Forest, Idaho: Just like Grand Teton NP, but on a smaller scale, allows dogs, and without the crowds. Plus, the tiny town of Stanley ID (population 63) is adorable and includes the fabulous Redfish Lake Lodge (at the foot of the mountains).

Placencia, Belize: 300 miles from Belize City lies a pristine fishing village that likes a tiny bit of tourism to keep afloat. Home of the narrowest street in the world, an airport whose chickens and cows outnumber planes, and the gateway to the UNESCO Laughing Bird Caye area (great scuba)...it's a beaut. Of course, Disney likes it so much they want to buy an island just off the coast..so go now!

Santiago de Compostela, Spain: A tourist site, yes. But to stand in an 800 year old church (where the bones of Apostle James are said to be buried), surrounded by pilgrims who walked or biked hundreds (or thousands of miles) on their pilgrimage, is quite humbling. Plus, the 6 star Parador on the square (former home of Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand) is stunning.

Île de Gorée, Dakar, Senegal: : The departure point for the majority of African slaves during the 20th century. Simple and devastating....several generations of families were ruined here.

Surin, Thailand: Home to the Surin Project, where trained tourism elephants are allowed to live out their lives in relative freedom. Plus, the two local restaurants had best food I had in a month in Thailand, hands down.

Drives:

Flagstaff AZ to SLC on Route 89....the mountains and desert scenery (plus a couple of cute towns) is unforgettable.
Logan Pass: Logan to Bear Lake on Route 89...the view as you crest the Wasatch mountains heading East is stunning
Lolo Pass from Lolo ID to Boise ID...I race cars for fun and this was both nerve wracking and gorgeous at the same time. A drive everyone should do 1x in their life.

Last edited by navi_jen; Jun 14, 2014 at 12:12 pm
Old Jun 14, 2014, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Custer State Park, South Dakota USA
Old Jun 16, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Luxembourg Ville.
I was there for the first time this weekend and it exceeded my expectations massively.
This city seems to have everything and more:
Fantastic views.
Old ruins ( from old fortresses ).
Fancy modern buildings.
Impressive central european style buildings.
Areas with cobblestones and old houses.
Charming pedestrian streets and squares.
Lots of restaurants.
Many bridges.
Dramatic nature.

It is a very interesting mix of old and new and of urban and nature and city/town.
And it has such a nice feel to it....
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:43 am

Lavaux Vineyards along Lake Geneva's Switzerland side. View from Grandvaux is spectacular with the French Alps framing the lake.....such a serene setting. It's a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Lavaux was recommended by a FTer years ago and I still go back at least every other year..

Bobette
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Custer State Park, South Dakota USA
^ Indeed. If the hordes at Mt.Rushmore knew..
Old Jun 17, 2014, 1:38 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
I loved the Valley of the Fallen (Valle de los Caídos) at El Escorial outside of Madrid when I visited. Pretty fascinating to see the cross and then the structure carved out of the mountain underneath it.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
I've just posted in another thread. Not a tourist attraction but Chandni Chowk in Old Delhi absolutely blew me away, as soon as I walked up the stairs from the metro it was like an assault on the senses, incredible and I felt so safe. We wandered around all afternoon and didn't see any other Westerners, I'd have happily spent days just taking the whole place in.

Equally I loved Jaipur, not quite as intense but a beautiful foreign city.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:46 pm

Okinawa, Japan doesn't get much attention on FT for some reason, I feel like it may be because the US military's presence there turns american tourists off since it won't feel so "foreign." But the historical attractions are something to see, like the old castle ruins scattered around the island. Free to go to (other than Shuri Castle), and not many tourists. Check it out.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
one place i would suggest is white sand dunes (and the red) inmui ne vietnam

like being in the mid of the sahara!

if you ever get the chance ,outer hebrides in scotland are beautiful
Old Jun 18, 2014, 9:33 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by djtsukasa
Okinawa, Japan doesn't get much attention on FT for some reason, I feel like it may be because the US military's presence there turns american tourists off since it won't feel so "foreign." But the historical attractions are something to see, like the old castle ruins scattered around the island. Free to go to (other than Shuri Castle), and not many tourists. Check it out.
Did you like the food?

Although I haven't been, I've fortunately stumbled upon an Okinawan food festival every now and then in Tokyo. The donuts - saataa andaagi - are delicious.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Did you like the food?

Although I haven't been, I've fortunately stumbled upon an Okinawan food festival every now and then in Tokyo. The donuts - saataa andaagi - are delicious.
The food is amazing, although if you don't like pork you're going to have a bad time since that's the staple there. The andagii is awesome, and the Okinawa Soba is to die for.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Most underrated tourist places

So we have this thread where we all bad-mouth the places we have been that were disappointing. How about a thread of places that just plain blew us away?

I'll nominate 2:

1) Fez, Morocco. The Medina takes you to a completely different century. You lose track of where you are and what you're doing. Each area is dedicated to a different craft: metal working, tannery, etc. Smells, sounds, sights, etc. all focused on one thing. You walk where there aren't buildings. No motorized vehicles. I felt like I was in an Indiana Jones movie.

2) Bhaktupur, Nepal. Similar to Fez in that you lose all sight of modernity. I walked through early one morning before the shops were open. A little mist on the ground. Old women with home made broom sweeping off the cobblestones.

Honorable mention to The Cotswolds in England.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.