Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

At the end of the day, commercial airplanes are a form of mass transit.

I don't really like Bose headphones, so if I'm in J and I'm not sure what kind of earplugs are supplied in the amenity kit, I bring my own. You can get a whole box for about $2 USD.
Old May 5, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Can you see Angelina Jolie and her kids sitting in economy because there are age restrictions for First class.
Old May 5, 2015, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by speltrong
What money would it take to implement it? You take one of the small-ish cabins as they are in the A380 and call it a family cabin. Done. Problem solved. Happier families, and happier non-parents. Simple, easy, no cost. Just a designation that this is an area of the plane that is expected to be loud.
Not problem solved. What if there are not enough kids and families to sit in the "family cabin" and there are spare seats. The plane is full so who is going to want to go and sit in an area of concentrated kids? At least if they are spread out you get a chance of being near well behaved kids or no kids.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Since there has been no valid complaint presented I guess we will never know if you are right.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24761755-post170.html
"After just spending an 11 hour flight listening to two toddlers scream in business class on a BA flight from LHR-->SFO..."

Nope, not a valid complaint at all, sounds like pure joy to me.
Old May 5, 2015, 7:12 pm
Suspended

It may just be me, but I notice every time I fly on US Airways, all my flights either had very little or no kids at all. In fact, when transiting through PHL, CLT, and even US areas of any airport (even MCO) I don't notice many kids at all. Am I just lucky or is there a reason for this?
Old May 5, 2015, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Agreed, adults can be annoying too. Maybe just a quiet zone cabin would help. One like they have on some train cars in Europe. Then at least, regardless of who books there, it would come with a reasonable expectation of quiet.

I mean, I would think that us having paid an obscene amount of money to fly in a cabin marketed as a sleeper cabin with lay flat beds would have that same meaning, but clearly it wasn't specific enough to sink into the family of four sitting in two business class seats on my flight.
IMO a good first step would be to forbid lap kids in anything but coach. There should also be restrictions on upgrading kids into premium cabins and especially on upgrading anyone with a lap child.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO a good first step would be to forbid lap kids in anything but coach. There should also be restrictions on upgrading kids into premium cabins and especially on upgrading anyone with a lap child.
Devil's advocate: If travelling with a lap child, may be useful to purchase a premium cabin for more space within a single seat in which to accommodate the lap child.

That said, my personal opinion is still to get two seats in coach and use a car seat. More comfortable and arguable safer for all involved (and sometimes cheaper than a single F/J seat).
Old May 5, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: TK*G
My younger brother and I both flew our first flights in international J/F respectively as lap babies. Sorry, not sorry.

Flying in long-haul premium cabins as a young child is what sparked my aviation enthusiasm. I'd hate to take that away from other young fliers.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by airplanegod
It may just be me, but I notice every time I fly on US Airways, all my flights either had very little or no kids at all. In fact, when transiting through PHL, CLT, and even US areas of any airport (even MCO) I don't notice many kids at all. Am I just lucky or is there a reason for this?
Smart parents who choose to not fly US?
Old May 5, 2015, 9:01 pm

i guess you have a good point there. but at the end of the day its still the parent's or the people who accompanies these children not to do something that would be inconvenience to other travelers especially on a business class since people are paying a hefty price for it.
Old May 6, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Do lap children shrink when riding in coach? I've found older lap children to be highly disruptive because they can't stand being held for that long. This is especially true for the 3- and 4-year-old lap children who fly as lap children because the parents lied to the airline.
Old May 6, 2015, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Not problem solved. What if there are not enough kids and families to sit in the "family cabin" and there are spare seats. The plane is full so who is going to want to go and sit in an area of concentrated kids? At least if they are spread out you get a chance of being near well behaved kids or no kids.
Because at least then the expectations are set correctly. If you book your flight so late that the only available seats are in the JetScream (tm) section, then at least you know what you're in for.

And I'll tell you who doesn't want to sit in an area with screaming kids - people who paid a boatload of money for the specific privilege of enjoying a cabin marketed as a place to sleep.
Old May 6, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Because at least then the expectations are set correctly. If you book your flight so late that the only available seats are in the JetScream (tm) section, then at least you know what you're in for.
And I'll tell you who doesn't want to sit in an area with screaming kids - people who paid a boatload of money for the specific privilege of enjoying a cabin marketed as a place to sleep.
Time to get over it and move along. OK, so you had a crappy experience. We've all experienced varying degrees of this from babies to toddlers to obnoxious adults. My last EK First flight featured drunks in the F cabin, one of whom was hauled off the plane by JFK PA police on arrival. The only guarantee of a peaceful flight is to spend a real boatload of money and fly private.
Old May 6, 2015, 6:48 am

And to be clear, I'm not sure this would work on any plane but the A380. It's the only plane I've seen thus far that does a really good job of creating separate cabins that seem fairly separated from other cabins.
Old May 6, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Time to get over it and move along.
No one said that you have to comment on this, so feel free to not participate in the conversation if you're not enjoying the topic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.