Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First/Business Class: Should there be age restrictions?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Mr H
To be honest, I have never really been disturbed by cats in J. By far the worst behavour in J is exhibited by tigers.
Don't you mean cougars? Especially ones that have imbibed a bit too much?

I am very, very grateful to the DL gate agent in HNL who paged me to the podium yesterday and asked if I'd be willing to take 2H instead of 4H so he could seat a family together on the A330 (which he did in the 2 middle and 2 right seats in row 4 of J). I heard periodic screams from the child, but row 4 looked like Chuck-E-Cheese when we got off the plane in Atlanta. Not only am I glad the GA asked, I am more glad that I accepted.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 4:36 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Question Infants in premium cabins

What do you think about travelling with infants in premium cabins (and how people are dealing with this)?

The reason behind the question: Two days ago on SQ25 JFK-FRA, as we were just taking our seats in row 19, a steward came by and asked me and my companion if we would mind switching rows with the elderly couple in row 12, as they "didn't like their seats" (no additional reason was given). As I really didn't care wheter we would sit in 19 or 12, I instantly agreed. Obviously, the couple had noticed that row 11 (which is the baby cradle row on the SQ 744 upper deck) was occupied by a couple with a small child (only several months old). Until then, the baby had not uttered a single tone and was quite quiet (at least for such a young infant) all along the flight (as soon as the baby would have started screaming, the mother did her very effective "shh, shh" which instantly silenced the child except for some 10 minute screaming in the middle of the flight where even "shh, shh" wouldn't help). A very positive experience of having an infant around in business class.

My experience with families (especially those with older children at ages between 3 and 10 years) on trains in 1st class have been quite bad - reserving table seats, they often let their children roam about, be noisy and climb over the seats, being a nuisance especially for those travelling in silence areas. Why don't they reserve a compartment when they want to let their children be noisy, especially when travelling 1st class? On german ICE trains, there's a special children's compartment available (but only on 2nd class), but I think they should really take some respect to other travellers. Me personally, I was told to be quiet on trains by my parents, and I obeyed. However, my observation is that many parents really don't care a sh** about the behaviour of their minors.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:00 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Do a search. There are a ton of threads here about this subject. Some civil, some contentious.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 5:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
What do you think about travelling with infants in premium cabins
Same as children in any other public place. If the parents are doing their level best to discipline their children, it doesn't bother me.

There are many adults who behave worse than children.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by bitburgr
Do a search. There are a ton of threads here about this subject. Some civil, some contentious.
+1. The threads usually divide into two groups of posters. One group says "it's public transport, they have a right to be there if they have a ticket, and adults can be worse." The other group says "The airline promotes a reasonable expectation of peace and quiet there, and it's often not possible to control their noise." They're often closed after they degenerate into each group saying to the other "your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries," or worse.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 7:38 am

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Well, I never meant to start a flame war by taking on that topic I simply don't understand why those people wanted to change rows with us (simply spoken, they had booked their seats in advance, as row 12 was no longer available when I made my seat reservation, so sitting behind an infant row was just bad luck for them). At least, now I know that it's usually better to book the back rows on a 744 upper deck, not because of the infants but due to the wind sounds...

Seat 12H is a standard business seat. The proximity to the lavatories can be bothersome. The proximity to the bassinet seat can be bothersome. The wind sounds can be bothersome. Other passengers can be bothersome. The fact that this seat is on board of an airplane can be bothersome.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 8:58 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note

I've merged today's new thread on infants in premium cabins with one of the many on this topic which is recent. As a friendly and proactive reminder, to remain open, among other FT Rules, the thread needs to discuss the subject and to avoid undue personalization. Thanks, Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA 1K, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum Elite, Jetblue Mosaic
I don't think this one can really be settled. Me and my wife usually travel on vacations 3-4 times a year and have always flown business. Now we have a 1 year old and we have been traveling with her in both economy and business since she was 3 months old (never in economy on a 4+ hour flight). Let's face it children cry....a parent should just be well prepared to distract the child and keep the crying to as less as possible.I'm not going to lie that and say that I have in the past enjoyed a screaming baby on a airplane (but that applies to both economy and business or even first). Just because some one has an infant does not imply that the person should simply stop flying Business/First.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:13 am

Kids in business or first class

Why would the airlines allow this, especially long haul flights? People who fly in premium cabins want privacy and all the comforts that they can get!

Just my rant....
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: DL,AA SPG Plat
Originally Posted by IamHungry
Why would the airlines allow this, especially long haul flights? People who fly in premium cabins want privacy and all the comforts that they can get!

Just my rant....
If their parents want to pay for it that's their business. I try not to concern myself with that people spend their money on.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by bfxfd
If their parents want to pay for it that's their business. I try not to concern myself with that people spend their money on.
I am not concern about how they spend the money. I just don't want to hear kids screaming when I need to sleep.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
I am not concern about how they spend the money. I just don't want to hear kids screaming when I need to sleep.
  • If the parents paid the money, the children are as entitled to be there as you are.
  • You purchased a seat, not guaranteed quiet.
  • Not all children scream in planes.
  • Many people find ear plugs or noise-reducing headphones are helpful.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Kids in business or first class

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9851933/Budget-airline-unveils-child-free-zones.html
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:38 pm

Well some people in first or business class have to sit next to UNPLEASANT GRUMPS, or people who snore, or loud talkers, or constant coughers, etc etc... The family who paid for or earned those seats have the same right to those seats as all those other annoying people.

I personally would rather sit next to a crying baby than some entitled DYKWIA in a bad mood.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I just don't want to hear kids screaming when I need to sleep.
Oh, God, not again...

I don't want to sit next to blabbermouths, or drunks, or fingernail-clipping pigs, or women who paint their nails, or salesmen, or staff-abusing DYKWIAs, etc., etc. in business class, but there they are. Nine times out of ten I will take the company of a well-mannered child over some lout of an adult -- in any cabin. Anyone who thinks age correlates with maturity hasn't flown enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.